TIME top 5 games of the year

Austichar

Jul 18, 2009
Didn't Time call Mass Effect 2 the Avatar of video games, yet better written? You'd think with that kind of compliment they'd include it on the list.

Lem0nade Inlay

Apr 3, 2010
That is a terrible list. Like, Alan Wake at number 1? It's a good game. But not in the top 5 of the year.

At least it wasn't black ops -_-

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
AK47Marine said:
Time once again epic fails
it's a democratic poll
people are idiots

number 1 should be Mass Effect 2

its the only game that actually made me feel a full range of emotions (beyond anger whenever i die)

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Crazyjay said:
I actually don't think thats a half bad list, though i may disagree on angry birds and reach.
I agree with the complete opposite of you, actually, well except Red Dead.

However, I don't trust Time very much anymore anyways. Have you seen their "Person of the Year" list? How do Lady Gaga and the Nobel Peace Prize winner get on the same list for ANYTHING?

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Eh. Only one I agree with on it is Super Mario Galaxy. Then again the only other one on the list I have played is Angry Birds. -_-

shengzingping

May 27, 2009
Crazyjay said:
just finished reading TIME magazine, and at the end i noticed they had in the best of tech section, their opinion of the top 5 games, the list is:

1.Alan Wake
2.Angry Birds
3.Red Dead Redemption
4.Halo:Reach
5.Super Mario Galaxy 2

I actually don't think thats a half bad list, though i may disagree on angry birds and reach.
This would be my list:
1. World of Warcraft (Seriously, who else bested this game in the MMORPG section?)
2. Call of Duty/Modern Warfare Series (This is one reason why people stay up all week.)
3. Starcraft (This game recruited a lot of gamers who became RTS fans.)
4. Street Fighter Series (Who among you doesn't know Ryu's signature fireball move?)
5. Super Mario (Most of us had our fair share of memories with this classic game.)

Crazyjay

Jan 6, 2010
RUINER ACTUAL said:
Crazyjay said:
I agree with the complete opposite of you, actually, well except Red Dead.

However, I don't trust Time very much anymore anyways. Have you seen their "Person of the Year" list? How do Lady Gaga and the Nobel Peace Prize winner get on the same list for ANYTHING?
Yea most of their lists i disagree with, including this one, but Time usually makes list on whats popular, not what is exactly good.

When i say its not a bad list, I mean its not a bad list for Time. They can't play every game that comes out, and the ones they do they can't play very long. I think to them, Alan Wake is something new and interesting, it has easy game mechanics to get a hang of and enough depth to keep a person interested. Most games this year have been old games updated with new features (ME2,GoW3,RDR,SC2,etc.) To Time, it probably feels like a fresh and original game.

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
for what i assumed was a magazine aimed at adults aged 30-65, this list aint bad at all. the only major disagreement i have is with angry birds, but that is due to personal taste. as a casual game, it is very influential.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Crazyjay said:
Jester00 said:
where's minecraft?
minecraft came out last year dude
I was actually thinking, since it is still in Alpha, it appears that Minecraft is every year game of the year because it will take ages for them to finish the game (they are only adding stuff, they dont have a true idea of what the finished product will have and wont have).

Every year we will have "Minecraft GOTY!" or something like that because its the year the guy saying that started playing the game.

hobo_welf

Aug 15, 2008
Crazyjay said:
just finished reading TIME magazine, and at the end i noticed they had in the best of tech section, their opinion of the top 5 games, the list is:

1.Alan Wake
2.Angry Birds
3.Red Dead Redemption
4.Halo:Reach
5.Super Mario Galaxy 2

Ahhhh yes. Well the thing to notice here is that this isn't necessarily a list of "Best Five Games This Year" so much as "Best Five Games This Year According to TIME Magazine". Now that's a pretty big difference, all things considered. Alan Wake was basically Stephen King: The Video Game, so that's more or less a no-brainer, Angry Birds is the most successful iPhone game ever (even though we're all sick of what is basically glorified flash games and Newgrounds copies), Read Dead Redemption has absolutely SUPERIOR writing, Reach is there instead of COD because it's a more iconic franchise, and Super Mario Galaxy 2 is there because it's fucking MARIO.

Doesn't make sense? It's not so much a list of the best 5 games this year, so much as a list that gives you a great idea as to 5 different games that went in all different directions, and summed up almost every category of games pretty well, without any game that can trump any other on that list.

e: Alan Wake being in first is absolutely unbelievable, however.
e2: Mass Effect 2 isn't on there because it's in the same vein as Red Dead Redemption, story driven, heavy emphasis on good writing and atmosphere, third person cover based combat, etc. The difference is that ME2 was pretty buggy and just not as good with it's writing or feel as Red Dead Redemption was. I know I'm going to catch flak for that one, but I'll defend the comment to the end because I've loved Bioware since Baldurs Gate, and I can definitely tell when they fuck up.

Zanaxal

Nov 14, 2007
1. Starcraft 2
2. Starcraft 2
3. Starcraft 2
4. Starcraft 2
5. Shut up.

Objective much? Yes.

JonnoStrife

Sep 5, 2009
Shinrae said:
BinkyStalls said:
thats a terrible list
It really is.

Although, this is the same people that voted 4chans moot as most influencial person last year... Says enough to be honest.
Anon E. Moose were the ones that voted Moot as man of the year. There was a vote on TIME.com or whatever and Anon blitzed it to get Moot to numero uno. Similarly, Anon also voted the age that actresses should start nude scenes should be changed to 6 years old. Haha, good times....

OT:Shit list. I whole heartedly agree.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Having only played two of the five, I can understand why RDR, Angry Birds and Alan Wake have been included. RDR was amazing, the graphics, the game play, everything, it was just amazing. Alan Wake, although I never played it, did get great write ups and from what I hear was brilliant. Angry Birds, I think its obvious why its on the list, its probably the most played game of the year, I mean when a game tops iTunes app store list for as long as it did, it has to be popular.

Halo and Mario as far as I can guess are only on this list because of their brands. Halo is Halo, Mario is Mario, of course they were gonna turn up on these types of lists.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Dead Space 2
Dead Space 2? I thought that had a January 25th release date.

The list just seems like they're going for what's popular or critically well received. Alan Wake was getting some good reviews, and it's got some elements of literature to it so I think they can relate to it better. Angry Birds is just kind of weird, probably just because it's a game that a lot of people have played due to its accessibility. Red Dead Redemption was both popular and well-received by critics, and I do think that it deserves to be on the list. And of course they'd go for whatever installment of Halo and Mario was just released. I'm just surprised that they didn't slap Black Ops on there too. I personally would go with Mass Effect 2, Civilization 5 and Metro 2033.

hobo_welf said:
e2: Mass Effect 2 isn't on there because it's in the same vein as Red Dead Redemption, story driven, heavy emphasis on good writing and atmosphere, third person cover based combat, etc. The difference is that ME2 was pretty buggy and just not as good with it's writing or feel as Red Dead Redemption was.
The buggy comment doesn't really make sense to me, Red Dead Redemption was FILLED with bugs, especially if you compare it to something like Mass Effect 2. That's just a habit of sandbox environments.

hobo_welf

Aug 15, 2008
Blind Sight said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Dead Space 2
Dead Space 2? I thought that had a January 25th release date.

The list just seems like they're going for what's popular or critically well received. Alan Wake was getting some good reviews, and it's got some elements of literature to it so I think they can relate to it better. Angry Birds is just kind of weird, probably just because it's a game that a lot of people have played due to its accessibility. Red Dead Redemption was both popular and well-received by critics, and I do think that it deserves to be on the list. And of course they'd go for whatever installment of Halo and Mario was just released. I'm just surprised that they didn't slap Black Ops on there too.

hobo_welf said:
e2: Mass Effect 2 isn't on there because it's in the same vein as Red Dead Redemption, story driven, heavy emphasis on good writing and atmosphere, third person cover based combat, etc. The difference is that ME2 was pretty buggy and just not as good with it's writing or feel as Red Dead Redemption was.
The buggy comment doesn't really make sense to me, Red Dead Redemption was FILLED with bugs, especially if you compare it to something like Mass Effect 2.
RDR was certainly filled with bugs, but ME2 I played on the computer... and the computer release was pretty damned buggy, so I'll amend my statement. RDR was just a better game.