Time's Up Disbands Entire Board in the Wake of Cuomo Backlash

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
There’s a nice segment in the Communist Manifesto (notably published long before any organized communist movement) that posits capitalism already has destroyed/will destroy all previous traditions (which it of course did through the enclosure of the commons, the creation of the nation myth, the merger of the estates, the birth of colonialism, etc).
Maybe I'm hallucinating, but I'm pretty sure it explicitly mentions the family as well.

edit:

yep, here we are

" The bourgeoisie has torn away from the family its sentimental veil, and has reduced the family relation to a mere money relation. "

Reactions: Revnak

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Maybe I'm hallucinating, but I'm pretty sure it explicitly mentions the family as well.

edit:

yep, here we are

" The bourgeoisie has torn away from the family its sentimental veil, and has reduced the family relation to a mere money relation. "
If you directly quote the manifesto he’s going to misinterpret it as Marx saying that’s a good thing.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
There’s a nice segment in the Communist Manifesto (notably published long before any organized communist movement) that posits capitalism already has destroyed/will destroy all previous traditions (which it of course did through the enclosure of the commons, the creation of the nation myth, the merger of the estates, the birth of colonialism, etc).
Ok, but not only is that stupid and wrong, you are once again admitting that I was correct the entire time.

If I say "communists want to eliminate every part of society" and you say "nah, just the capitalist parts... also capitalism is responsible for all aspects of moden society", you're contradicting yourself. So no, capitalism did not destroy all previous traditions, but if you believe that it did, and you want all the influence of capitalism gone, you are saying you want all current traditions gone.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
If you directly quote the manifesto he’s going to misinterpret it as Marx saying that’s a good thing.
The bourgeois sees his wife as a mere instrument of production. He hears that the instruments of production are to be exploited in common, and, naturally, can come to no other conclusion than that the lot of being common to all will likewise fall to the women.

Reactions: Revnak

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Ok, but not only is that stupid and wrong, you are once again admitting that I was correct the entire time.

If I say "communists want to eliminate every part of society" and you say "nah, just the capitalist parts... also capitalism is responsible for all aspects of moden society", you're contradicting yourself. So no, capitalism did not destroy all previous traditions, but if you believe that it did, and you want all the influence of capitalism gone, you are saying you want all current traditions gone.
…you do realize my point, since the moment you brought up communism “hating families” or whatever, was that capitalism also changed those institutions dramatically. I was never arguing against changing them from their current state, I believe the modern nuclear family is absolutely untenable, which should be obvious given the majority of people don’t fucking grow up in one anymore and when they did it was powered by spousal abuse and child molestation. This is not a gotcha, but a recognition of how fucking history works, which I realize is a pointless thing to bring up because you think everyone has always lived like you so while I know I will regret this…

When there is a fundamental change in the economic system of a society (such as from feudalism to capitalism or the advent of feudalism in the waning years of the Roman Empire) it is generally accompanied by changes throughout society. In the particular case of capitalism, Marx believed (at the time of authoring the manifesto) that the emphasis on productivity above all else caused this economic change to lead to a more total change in the order of society than was typical, and that capitalism would not slow down in this process but rather continue repeatedly consuming all traditions of society at a faster and faster rate. The former wasn’t even vaguely controversial to believe at the time (it would’ve been absurd not to believe it as you watched slavery become an entrenched part of the colonies, industrial labor and cities rapidly changing how people live, the end of serfdom, the enclosure of the commons, the end of church property in many countries, etc).

If you don’t want to believe these real historical events occurred, then go ahead and don’t. I genuinely do not care how ignorant you choose to be. But please shut up if you’re going to choose to know nothing.

@Seanchaidh see, even paraphrasing it did it.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
But please shut up if you’re going to choose to know nothing.
I mean, you just gave a fine defense of why you want to dismantle all of society, which still means I was right the entire time. At some point, you're gonna give me some credit.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
I'm telling you guys, comrade tstrom recognizes Marx's words as correct and he too wants to throw off the influence of the rich elite who have plundered society.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
I mean, you just gave a fine defense of why you want to dismantle all of society, which still means I was right the entire time. At some point, you're gonna give me some credit.
Tstorm is white a class?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Well, I say the problem is the use of 'all'. If you want that, then communism isn't your target. Post Modernism would be. And no, they aren't remotely the same thing and hate each just as much as they hate capitalists

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Time's Up had a board of directors? I thought it was just a hashtag.
You can't donate money to a hashtag. Same deal with Black Lives Matter - you can pretend it's just a hashtag and some grassroots protests, but when people donate money to Black Lives Matter they're generally donating it to Black Lives Matter Global Network and one of the many criticisms of BLM is where that money goes, exactly.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Lads, are you actually trying to convince someone that the modern nuclear family is not some ancient tradition that has existed since biblical times? Like is there any way that, if that NEEDS to be explained, that it can successfully be explained?

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Lads, are you actually trying to convince someone that the modern nuclear family is not some ancient tradition that has existed since biblical times? Like is there any way that, if that NEEDS to be explained, that it can successfully be explained?
I mean, that's quite a thing that I didn't actually say. There are far more general traditions than that which have been attacked by communism, notably marriage itself, which is quite literally in the Bible.