Tiny Robot Puzzle Adventure Just $5 on Steam

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Tiny Robot Puzzle Adventure Just $5 on Steam

Want to solve puzzles using tiny robots? Puzzle Bots is the perfect game for you.

Dave Gilbert's Puzzle Bots [http://www.wadjeteyegames.com] has hit Steam for a low, low price. At just $5, you could do a lot worse than a humorous puzzle/adventure game where you play as miniature robots that inadvertently prepare food for their inventors, fix the equipment in a robot lab, and solve a mystery.

Puzzle Bots is similar to an adventure game with its narrative and interface, but the gameplay is mostly about solving puzzles. Players start with control of just one robot with a single ability, but are eventually controlling five little robots at once as they attempt to get through 17 multi-part levels. It's a little bit like Honey, I Shrunk the Kids [http://www.amazon.com/Honey-Shrunk-Kids-Rick-Moranis/dp/B000065V42], except with robots instead of kids, and without Rick Moranis.

One of the robots can only pick up items, another only pushes heavy objects, while the the rest can perform abilities such as swimming or using a flamethrower. Each robot has its own personality and take on the outside world, and their interactions with each other are a highlight.

Meanwhile, the larger story of Puzzle Bots takes place in a lab and follows the robots' mostly cheery inventors while the secrets of the robot factory are discovered. The game has a lighthearted sense of humor and players may even incite a robot dance party for finding bonus items that decorate the miniature robot habitat.

Puzzle Bots is the latest title to come out of Wadjet Eye, which is known for other games such as the Blackwell adventure series, Shivah, and Emerald City Confidential. They're all experiences that come at a fairly minuscule cost, but provide a worthy amount of fun.

Source: Wadjet Eye Games [http://www.wadjeteyegames.com]

Manicotti

Apr 10, 2009
just bought this, it's downloading now. i've been a sucker for puzzle games ever since Portal, so i'm interested to see how this one turns out. the art style is somewhat reminiscent of PvZ.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Errr... Damn this sounds like an advertisement. Like you're a spokes person in the marketing section trying to get me to buy it. It's giving the reverse intention, as now I'm a bit creeped out by this, and any interest I would have had is now removed.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
dududf said:
Errr... Damn this sounds like an advertisement. Like you're a spokes person in the marketing section trying to get me to buy it. It's giving the reverse intention, as now I'm a bit creeped out by this, and any interest I would have had is now removed.
Your paranoia may get the best of you someday.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
dududf said:
Oh it has done so before. I like to call it caution more then paranoia. I don't see articles saying a game has hit steam. Like uhhh... no article for *checks new releases on steam*

"Trainz: Murchison 2"*

So seeing a random article such as this just raises my eyebrows in curiosity. The curiosity would be 100% dispelled if when it hit steam, the price was reduced**. But no mention of that. *shrug* I'm not gonna pester more.

*Newest game released on the writing of this post.

** edit, Reduced to prior as to what it was before the release on steam.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
dududf said:
Tom Goldman said:
dududf said:
Oh it has done so before. I like to call it caution more then paranoia. I don't see articles saying a game has hit steam. Like uhhh... no article for *checks new releases on steam*

"Trainz: Murchison 2"

So seeing a random article such as this just raises my eyebrows in curiosity. The curiosity would be 100% dispelled if when it hit steam, the price was reduced. But no mention of that. *shrug* I'm not gonna pester more.
Oh, I do it all the time. Part of my job is being able to say: Hey, a cool game is available on X or Y, and I enjoy being able to do so. Unfortunately, my post would be incredibly short if I only wrote one sentence, so it has to be filled in with the descriptions of the games I write about, hence the "advertisement" feeling I suppose.

Lookie here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100228-Rise-From-Your-Grave-With-1-Xbox-Live-Indie-RPG
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103340-VVVVVV-Celebrates-Steam-Release-with-Huge-Price-Cut

In this case, Puzzle Bots is a clever indie game that just hit Steam with a price cut. This is my actual opinion from playing the game right before I wrote about it, so my article is actually a mini-impression of the game. If it sucked, you can bet you wouldn't see an article about the game on the Escapist.

I've actually been hoping someone would offer to pay me off for a while now, because money is awesome, but it's sadly just not happening.

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
Arkham Asylum GOTY for $13.60 caught my eye more. Weekend deals ftw.

May end up trying this one out, though. If I don't like it, meh. It's $5.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
dududf said:
Tom Goldman said:
dududf said:

"Trainz: Murchison 2"

So seeing a random article such as this just raises my eyebrows in curiosity. The curiosity would be 100% dispelled if when it hit steam, the price was reduced. But no mention of that. *shrug* I'm not gonna pester more.
Oh, I do it all the time. Part of my job is being able to say: Hey, a cool game is available on X or Y, and I enjoy being able to do so. Unfortunately, my post would be incredibly short if I only wrote one sentence, so it has to be filled in with the descriptions of the games I write about, hence the "advertisement" feeling I suppose.

Lookie here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100228-Rise-From-Your-Grave-With-1-Xbox-Live-Indie-RPG
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103340-VVVVVV-Celebrates-Steam-Release-with-Huge-Price-Cut

In this case, Puzzle Bots is a clever indie game that just hit Steam with a price cut. This is my actual opinion from playing the game right before I wrote about it, so my article is actually a mini-impression of the game. If it sucked, you can bet you wouldn't see an article about the game on the Escapist.

I've actually been hoping someone would offer to pay me off for a while now, because money is awesome, but it's sadly just not happening.
Try announcing games not launched by indie companies, they can't afford to pay off writers. If you write for big name companies, they may throw a couple hundred in your direction. But if you insist on writing about indie games in the hope of getting payed, perhaps working a deal out in advance may yield a bribe. Sadly, these days with media leaks some people don't wanna risk the whole "X has bribed Y".

To the bolded, didn't see that in the article, and as such if you saw my edit (that was prior to your post) any confusion would be 100% absolved. From which it has. Might give it a peep and see what kind of game it is.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Crimsane said:
Arkham Asylum GOTY for $13.60 caught my eye more. Weekend deals ftw.

May end up trying this one out, though. If I don't like it, meh. It's $5.
Thanks for the heads up on AA!

fyrh56

Apr 2, 2008
All well and good, and it is a fun game, but not the best selection for a screenshot. I mean, look at the plant in the centre.

RoyalWelsh

Feb 14, 2010
fyrh56 said:
All well and good, and it is a fun game, but not the best selection for a screenshot. I mean, look at the plant in the centre.
*Sniggers*
Wouldn't of noticed that unless I read your comment.

OT: I am intrigued by this title. I shall take a look at this at once.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Okay, someone want to help get my mind out of the gutter? First thing I saw was sunlight being shone on a big green penis. x_x

Anyway. Is there a demo? Let me see if there's a demo.

No demo. :(
And I mean, yeah $5. That's not a lot, but see I just dropped $30 on the XBLA the other day, which already would feel like too much to me if they were't having that "spend $30 get $10 back at the end of November" promotion going on.

EDIT:
fyrh56 said:
Thanks, I feel better knowing it wasn't just me.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
dududf said:
Was that a threat?

I was looking at this... Might buy it.

davelgil

Mar 18, 2009
Woah - mention on the Escapist. Darn cool. I'm Dave, the publisher behind Puzzle Bots. To answer the main question here, I can safely say that no payola exchanged hands. And you can grab a demo off the game's main website: http://www.puzzle-bots.com.

-Dave