Tips for Surviving Persona 4 The Golden

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Tips for Surviving Persona 4 The Golden

Basic strategies to help you survive the search for a serial killer.

Read Full Article

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
This particular playthrough I've been focusing intently on getting all the books read at night, and it's made the game much easier. Not only do they increase social stats, but some of them will improve how quickly social stats increase. It's the best investment you can make in the early game to save time later.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
I always found trying to clear dungeons on the first day that you are able too a fun challenge... then generally giving the screen a blank look as I realise I've failed for the tenth time trying to beat the annoying sub-boss. In other words generally try to get as far as you can in a dungeon on your first expedition into one. Although be warned, unless you have a certain item you need to use the little floating blue spectral butterfly checkpoints to get out of dodge, I mean, dungeons.

Oh and regularly dump the rubbish that you gather from enemies in the sales bin at the weapon shop, it will unlock new and usually stronger weapons and equipment you can buy for your characters. But make sure you're not dumping any side quest items by mistake or you could be in the annoying situation where you have to revisit old dungeons just to farm for particular items.

TRIAL OF THE DRAGON!

Edit: Also on your first playthrough you don't necessarily have to max your Social Links with everyone but should definitely try to get all your Courage, Understanding, etc. stats up to max by the end as it will speed along Social Links in New Game+. Additionally there is always the chance there may be Social Links you can't get access to due to your stats in the first playthrough that will then open up in the second one. Oh and go for all the Love routes. It ends up with some pretty funny dates and dialogue pieces.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Every time I hear about this game I curse the fact that it is only out for the Vita. I simply can't justify buying a Vita for one game however. Guess I am stuck with the OG PS2 version :(

At least Chie doesn't sound awful in my version :)

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Fappy said:
Every time I hear about this game I curse the fact that it is only out for the Vita. I simply can't justify buying a Vita for one game however. Guess I am stuck with the OG PS2 version :(

I rationalize that Chie was always supposed to be as over the top and whiny as her new voice actress portrays her. It does kind of fit the dialogue a little better.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
OK, here is my tip:
1. Max out Tower social link;
2. Get to level 75;
3. Fuse Yoshitsune with Arms Master skill.
4. ???
5. Profit.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Fappy said:

Well, you could make do with the PS2 version.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
VMK said:
OK, here is my tip:
1. Max out Tower social link;
2. Get to level 75;
3. Fuse Yoshitsune with Arms Master skill.
4. ???
5. Profit.
Yeah, it's ridiculous how powerful Hassou Tobi skill is.

RedMagic

Feb 16, 2011
Carrying a persona with an arcana that matches with the social link you're trying to raise is also helpful to get the most affection points.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Fappy said:

I never played Persona 4 on PS2, and to be honest, i think Chie's voice in P4G is freaking perfect.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
dont do magatsu inaba on the first day though it'll skip q bunch of days if you d

o.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
RedMagic said:
Carrying a persona with an arcana that matches with the social link you're trying to raise is also helpful to get the most affection points.
This is an extremely good tip.

Say you're trying to raise your Social Link rank with Yosuke. Since his arcana is the Magician, your active Persona should also be a Magician. Do this, and your rank will increase faster.

Remember, you can generally only raise one rank a day, so increasing the rate of rank ups, even if it only speeds it up one day, is a massive boost.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
IllumInaTIma said:
Fappy said:

I never played Persona 4 on PS2, and to be honest, i think Chie's voice in P4G is freaking perfect.
They changed the voice actors? That's... odd... I loved the original VAs.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Mcoffey said:
I find the story and characters in these games really interesting and cool, but I hate the grind! It's just the most blatant act of padding I've yet come across. I can't stand it! >.<
So long as you don't skip fights in dungeons, and then go back and do the optional dungeons (which you should for the weapons at the end anyway), you should rarely, if ever, need to "grind." You'll end up doing a lot of fighting, yes, but that is a big portion of the game, after all. :)

You can speed that up a bit by letting your squadmates "Act Freely", and/or putting fights on automatic by hitting the triangle button. That's a great way to tear through easier dungeons that you're running through for a second time and don't really need to be overly mindful about watching your health or SP.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Haven't the Skill Cards and changes to Shuffle Time made the whole game incredibly broken combat balance wise? What do you need "survival tips" for?

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I finally have a Vita and this is gonna be my very first Persona game, and from the sounds of it, I'm gonna be busy. I'm one of those players that will do everything and will go after every single thing in a game, so my OCD-ness for that will be happy.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
PedroSteckecilo said:
IllumInaTIma said:
Fappy said:

They changed the voice actors? That's... odd... I loved the original VAs.
The way I understand it Teddie and Chie's original voice actors didn't return for the new scenes so they had to re-record all of their dialogue with new actors.

Susan Arendt said:
Well, you could make do with the PS2 version.
Btw, did the new battle theme get stuck in your head like the original did? That's the only bit from your original review that sticks out in my mind :p

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
I remember P4 being incredibly easy. Still, tips are always nice.
It's a real shame the game had such an abysmal main plot. Otherwise it would have been amazing, but now it's just great.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Fappy said:

Honestly chies new VO is waaaaay better IMO, maybe because I heard the new one first but the old one just sounds wrong. Like they don't fit chie at all, didn't get the sense of energetic personality from the old one that the new one gives off.