Tired of today's comic books? Pulp Fiction

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Ehhhh I think The Maltese Falcon and some Raymond Chandler should be public domain. Not sure where you'd find them, exactly.

Reactions: Kae and gorfias

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Ehhhh I think The Maltese Falcon and some Raymond Chandler should be public domain. Not sure where you'd find them, exactly.
Copyright is a crime, it has lead to unavailability of art and even more important things like medicine.

OT: I like pulp I used to be a big fan of The Rocketeer and The Shadow, but at times it gets kinda boring and repetitive, not to mention that a lot of the stories have this tacit endorsement of values such as objectivism, American exceptionalism, justice as punishment and other stuff that I find insufferable so I don't think I'd be returning to pulp to be honest, don't get me wrong it's important to consume art that has a different perspective to you every now and then to reconsider your philosophical positions, but it's just harder to do if it's saying something you've already heard a million times, besides a lot of pulp is very pro America and I hate America, easily the worst empire in history.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I did not. And I’m kind of curious how the strip was going to get a vicar to become a daring space hero.
Well the co-founders of the Eagle comic were both devout Anglicans one one of them was a vicar (The name Eagle references a church lectern). They had kicked around the idea of a strip about a tough East End vicar called Lex Christian, which morphed into Dan Dare who was originally envisioned as a chaplain for the Interplanet Space Fleet before becoming a pilot for them instead.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Well the co-founders of the Eagle comic were both devout Anglicans one one of them was a vicar (The name Eagle references a church lectern). They had kicked around the idea of a strip about a tough East End vicar called Lex Christian, which morphed into Dan Dare who was originally envisioned as a chaplain for the Interplanet Space Fleet before becoming a pilot for them instead.
Actually I won't lie, that sounds kind of interesting and worth reading. Almost a shame they never revisited that.