Titanfall Coming in March 2014

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Titanfall Coming in March 2014

Electronic Arts has revealed the Titanfall release date and a very impressive collector's edition for fans with deep pockets.

Titanfall, the sci-fi shooter featuring 24-foot tall mechs called Titans being developed by Respawn Entertainment, finally has a release date: March 11, 2014 (March 13 in Europe) on the Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC. And that's pretty much that, so let's now turn our attention to the whiz-bang Titanfall: Collector's Edition [http://www.titanfall.com/collectors-edition], a "serious fans only" piece of kit that will set you back a whopping 250 bucks.

And what do you get for skipping a car payment in favor of a videogame? An 18-inch "hand crafted" statute of a Titan, for starters, complete with diorama base and battery-powered LED lighting. There's also a "full-size" 190-page art book and a big schematic poster of an Atlas titan. The collector's edition will be available for all three platforms, but in "very limited" quantities.

EA also turned loose a Titanfall gameplay trailer that shows off a little bit of everything the game has to offer in a running battle through the streets of Angel City. It looks pretty good - let's hope it plays just as well.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
I keep thinking of the game Brink when I see this, and hear Respawn's talk of "multiplayer story mode," and "dropping in and out of your friend's game."

Not buying it until it's released on PS4 (it's gonna happen. It's a "Triple A" title published by EA after all), so here's to hoping it lives up to the hype (not likely), and doesn't tank, let alone suffer Brink's poor implementation of great concepts, and piss poor connection issues

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
They keep showing off the same mission... Anyone else wondering if there's a lack of content at this point?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Did somebody say artbook? There hasn't been a really good artbook since the first Mass Effect's, the ones that went with Modern Warfare 2 were atrocious (and postage stamp sized) but 190pages sounds lovely. Of course that's assuming there's some depth to it and to Titanfall itself.

Either way, I want that book!

Dr.Awkward said:
They keep showing off the same mission... Anyone else wondering if there's a lack of content at this point?
Nah, I'd say it's simply not giving everything away months before release, you want to be able to generate excitement shortly before and after launch, not have the entire gaming press chanting already seen that at you in unison.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
The concept of a $250 edition seems... wrong to me somehow.
I fail to see why it doesn't cost $100 less, but I'll wait to see the quality of the final product I guess.

Will play the game, no doubt, but will rely on a friend who owns it rather than buy it myself.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
March 11th, huh? That's a bit earlier than I'd expected.

Good! Just means I can get my hands on a copy sooner. Been getting fairly exciting about trying the game out.

Assuming the team at Respawn can deliver on their promises; of which I have very little doubt given their pedigree; this could be the fresh, new IP we need to reinvigorate the online shooter arena.

I just hope EA hasn't buggered the hell out of the PC build. And really, that's my only concern. Namely: what superfluous bullshit EA may tack onto the front-end of the game.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I like sci-fi shooters quite a bit. And Halo 4 let me down in a lot of ways. So I'll be looking at this one, Destiny, and even Killzone as a backup while we wait to see if Halo 5 makes up for 4's shortcomings.

But it is nice to finally have an exact date as to when this game is going to release.

Bonus points if Watch Dogs picks the same day and then has it's sales hobbled from this one's release. (jokie)

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Oh DICE you should have brought BF2143 forward, now you're going to be playing catch up. Maybe the EA overlords didn't want any competition for Titanfall? A shame as Titan mode is still the best multiplayer game ever created.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
tdylan said:
I keep thinking of the game Brink when I see this, and hear Respawn's talk of "multiplayer story mode," and "dropping in and out of your friend's game."
I keep thinking of "Mindjack" myself.
And that if such an intrusive implementation of multiplayer is necessary to elevate the "experience" it probably means that the base experience itself isn't all that great.

Whatever. It's a major EA release poised to hit in March.
Given how for the last three years that has degenerated into a massive shitstorm, it will be interesting to see how the hype-anti-hype reactions pan out. (and probably become really really tired and overdone a week in)

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
$400 AUD? FUCK OFF MATE! That's just pure piracy. Our dollar is WAY better than the American dollar for them to keep pulling this shit. I'm just going to buy a digital copy from green man gaming for a reasonable price

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
So turns out Titanfall isn't even a 'launch window' title? Or is launch window 6 months now and not 3?

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
The game looks incredible. It really does. There's just so little I really know about it.

For example, I was under the impression that EA was trying to launch it as a free to play game. I don't know if that's still the case or not since EA has been known to charge for a free to play game and then make it behave like a free to play experience like the dicks they are.

I would be very interested in picking this game a month after release on the PC or immediately on the ps4.