Titanfall is the Most Fun FPS I've Played Since Team Fortress 2

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Caiphus said:
chozo_hybrid said:
Just a shame there won't be any NZ/AUS/Pacific servers any time soon. The lag in such a fast paced game makes it unplayable to a large degree. Which is a shame, but I am sick of games not supporting the region of the world I live in. We pay more for the games, treat us like equal customers at least.

Playing on PC in the beta, and I love the game, except for how I can't hit most things due to high ping and such. Makes it hard to play.
Yeah, I assumed that this would be the case. I haven't played any MMOs in a big way since moving from the UK because I hate being put at a disadvantage because of latency. I thought that this would be the same. And it is! Oh noooooo

Oh well! At least when we pay more for single player games we get roughly the same experience as everybody else. Luv you, chozo.
It's a shame, since I know it will stills sell well here and yet people will get annoyed at the lack of servers in our area. So they'll continue to do it.

I'm not sure how to take your last part, but thanks?

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
chozo_hybrid said:
It's a shame, since I know it will stills sell well here and yet people will get annoyed at the lack of servers in our area. So they'll continue to do it.

You're always welcome.

The last part was mildly sarcastic (apart from being enamoured by you <3). We pay more to get shafted in multiplayer only games, you say. Well, at least we don't get shafted in that same way when we pay more for single-player games.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Pinky said:
Origin is pretty unintrusive nowadays ... I don't really have a problem with it any more.
my thoughts as well. i actually start liking it more because steam seams to have problems to adjust it self to a new country after i moved to hong kong from australia last year.

i wanted to buy a game and use my steam wallet, but guess what, it complained that it doenst match the currency in my country (hong kong) and therefor dint proceed with the payment. also my paypal wasnt accepted anymore for the same reason. even when i changed paypal to my HK address, including my card from HK. and yes, i even changed my details on steam as well including the country i live in.
when i contacted steam support about it, they said that i have to send them a copy of my ID card from hong kong to them so that they can change my steam account to HK currency.
seriously? no way im doing this.

how come i had no hassle with it in australia. there steam also displayed USD and still could use my steam wallet and paypal. and back in 2011 i lived in hong kong as well and had no issues purchasing games with paypal and everything was still in USD.
so why cant valve/steam change it automatically when i clearly set it to hong kong?

wile origin automatically changed the language and currency in to HKD. thank god i can change it to english language as well otherwise i would be really lost. at least there i can use paypal without any problems and i have told valve that as well why EA can do this but not them.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Caiphus said:
chozo_hybrid said:

You're always welcome.

The last part was mildly sarcastic (apart from being enamoured by you <3). We pay more to get shafted in multiplayer only games, you say. Well, at least we don't get shafted in that same way when we pay more for single-player games.
The bit we get screwed on in that instance is the fact we pay more to begin with, but yes, I see where you're coming from :D

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
The biggest seller to me was the sheer fast pace and chaotic nature of the game. Speed, chaos and plenty to shoot.

Another big plus for me was that in the 15 odd hours I played the beta, I came across one coward ass camper........JUST ONE!! Usually come across that within the first 15 seconds of playing CoD. Looking forward to this one now.

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
wooty said:
I came across one coward ass camper........JUST ONE!! Usually come across that within the first 15 seconds of playing CoD. Looking forward to this one now.
Because it's a beta. Treyarch & Infinity Ward don't do beta's. Wait until the game gets a (presumably rushed) release and watch the campers pile up like bees to a honey pot.

Considering the previous shooter débâcle which name I won't mention. I urge everyone to be cautious because it's still EA turning the wheel like an organ grinder with Titanfall being it's monkey.

If I come off as distrusting, that would be correct because Betafield 4 really opened my eyes to the arrogance that some companies display when releasing games. Haven't bought any other game since then, lol.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
I still can't believe that this is on the Source Engine. That puppy has some serious mileage.
That is basically what it was designed for. They made it modular from the beginning with the intention of being able to update it as new tech developed for years rather than building something they'd have to drastically re-write every few years to keep up with the times.

Valve doesn't always get the programming right, but that is the sort of forward thinking that makes updates easier and extends the life of existing tools dramatically. Too many other companies get caught up with being at the bleeding edge, and not planning for how they're going to carry their existing engines forward as technology progresses. Which is part of why things are so damn expensive these days.

lowkey_jotunn

Feb 23, 2011
TheEvilCheese said:
Why is there still so much refusal to use origin? It's no worse than steam from a consumer rights perspective and it's better in some respects. Sure, it's not got the feature set or community, but it's by no means a deal breaker for me.

That said, I don't think I can justify the cost for a purely MP shooter, especially when I don't trust them not to release shitty overpriced map packs that are basically required 3 months down the line.
Mostly because it's another digital storefront with another installer trying to scrape data for targeted ads and another set of username/password to deal with, when really, it's all very unnecessary. Imagine the real-world analog. Imagine if you could no longer buy (for example) Disney movies EXCEPT at a Disney store.

Even if there was a Disney store right across the street from whatever other store I frequent, it's a pain, it's unnecessary and it's honestly rather childish. Especially when (as is the case with EA) their products have been available elsewhere for years.

That's not to say that I have a problem with multiple storefronts existing. If EA wants to have their own store, fine. In fact I love that there's a bit of competition in the digital marketplace... but taking your biggest products out of the other stores in simply a dick move.

But maybe I'm just grumpy, Ubisoft's store/launcher is an even bigger POS than EAs (last I checked) and I picked up Far Cry 3 last steam sale without realizing it. That's probably the bigger crime, imo. Selling your game in one store (steam) but not letting the buyer play it without going through your own proprietary store.

I suppose Valve isn't exactly innocent here, I doubt DOTA2 or Half Life are available on Origins or UbiPlay (could be wrong) But valve has earn enough good karma in my eyes, and been on the receiving end of EA and Ubi's shenanigans that I'm willing to let it slide when they play a little tit for tat.

lowkey_jotunn

Feb 23, 2011
wooty said:
The biggest seller to me was the sheer fast pace and chaotic nature of the game. Speed, chaos and plenty to shoot.

Another big plus for me was that in the 15 odd hours I played the beta, I came across one coward ass camper........JUST ONE!! Usually come across that within the first 15 seconds of playing CoD. Looking forward to this one now.
Camping is a lot harder when there are giant freaking mecha roaming around with missle launchers and other overkill-tastic weaponry ... also when the non-mecha can just wall run up behind you and stab you right between the buttcheeks

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Genocidicles said:
What with the PC version requiring Origin, the 360 version likely being an inferior version and the xbone version requiring an xbone, I'm afraid I shall have to give this a miss.

Oh well. Back to TF2.
And you summed up why I probably won't bother. Maybe I'll give TF2 a whirl.

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
lowkey_jotunn said:
Mostly because it's another digital storefront with another installer trying to scrape data for targeted ads and another set of username/password to deal with, when really, it's all very unnecessary. Imagine the real-world analog. Imagine if you could no longer buy (for example) Disney movies EXCEPT at a Disney store.

Even if there was a Disney store right across the street from whatever other store I frequent, it's a pain, it's unnecessary and it's honestly rather childish. Especially when (as is the case with EA) their products have been available elsewhere for years.

That's not to say that I have a problem with multiple storefronts existing. If EA wants to have their own store, fine. In fact I love that there's a bit of competition in the digital marketplace... but taking your biggest products out of the other stores in simply a dick move.

But maybe I'm just grumpy, Ubisoft's store/launcher is an even bigger POS than EAs (last I checked) and I picked up Far Cry 3 last steam sale without realizing it. That's probably the bigger crime, imo. Selling your game in one store (steam) but not letting the buyer play it without going through your own proprietary store.

I suppose Valve isn't exactly innocent here, I doubt DOTA2 or Half Life are available on Origins or UbiPlay (could be wrong) But valve has earn enough good karma in my eyes, and been on the receiving end of EA and Ubi's shenanigans that I'm willing to let it slide when they play a little tit for tat.
Actually what your doing is more like complaining about only being able buy a Walmart made shirt at Walmart. They only sell their stuff on Origin because it's their stuff and they have the right to do what they want with their own shit. Valve does the same shit and not one of you guys complain about that (even though lots did when Steam first came out).

It's not "childish", it's business. Origin is functional, has a pretty good refund policy and good download speeds, there's nothing wrong with it.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
I was really skeptical about this one. REALLY skeptical. Quite frankly, my stance was basically "so this is Battlefield 2142 2, eh?" - until I played it. Never had a shooter win me over like this. This is one very impressive game.

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
daibakuha said:
lowkey_jotunn said:

Actually what your doing is more like complaining about only being able buy a Walmart made shirt at Walmart. They only sell their stuff on Origin because it's their stuff and they have the right to do what they want with their own shit. Valve does the same shit and not one of you guys complain about that (even though lots did when Steam first came out).

It's not "childish", it's business. Origin is functional, has a pretty good refund policy and good download speeds, there's nothing wrong with it.
Refer to my previous list, there are tons of things wrong with it. Also good refund policy is about the only positive I've heard and would agree with, but your unlikely to run a business on that alone.

Frankly the good download speeds are only good for the rich, and it does seem like Origin is targeted to the upper class, but for those of us who back up games and share them physically, instead of each individually downloading a game... it kind of makes the whole service inaccessible. It might only be a minority, but it is a section of gamers who advertise by mouth a lot.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Raioken18 said:
Refer to my previous list, there are tons of things wrong with it. Also good refund policy is about the only positive I've heard and would agree with, but your unlikely to run a business on that alone.

Frankly the good download speeds are only good for the rich, and it does seem like Origin is targeted to the upper class, but for those of us who back up games and share them physically, instead of each individually downloading a game... it kind of makes the whole service inaccessible. It might only be a minority, but it is a section of gamers who advertise by mouth a lot.
for the rich??
im not rich and yet it still downloads faster then steam. i have downloaded the beta version in a few hours wile on steam it would have taken more then 5 hours.
and besides, you still can buy physical a version of the game.

also have replied to your post about the points you have mentioned a page back ;)

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
Avaholic03 said:
Yeah, I don't understand the Origin hate. Seems like a lot of people hate it because "everyone hates Origin" rather than actually having good reasons of their own. Not that I'm trying to defend some DRM disguised as a digital delivery service, but it really isn't any worse than Steam. I actually prefer the cleaner interface to Steam (although I still prefer Steam overall...mostly for the ridiculous sales...but if Origin started doing that too it would be pretty much a toss-up).
Well... privacy issues, I think. Also the fact that it just plain refuses to work sometimes, which is hella annoying.

I played a good amount (9 or so hours) of the beta, and I must say that Titanfall is very much a game focused on removing all the frustrating parts from playing a competitive shooter, as well as making you feel like a badass all the time. Movement is a good mix of double jumping and Mirror's Edge (things I happen to like a lot).

The game ran very well on my PC, though for whatever reason I had to dial the texture settings down from the maximum.
(Intel i5-3570K @ stock; 4GB RAM; Radeon HD7950; 1680x1050; 90FoV; now upgraded to AMD FX-8320, 8GB RAM)

KungFuJazzHands

Mar 31, 2013
Raioken18 said:
daibakuha said:
lowkey_jotunn said:

That list you refer to is outdated, and has been for a while. EA have fixed most, if not all, of the problems you listed, and Origin runs relatively smoothly these days.

I used to be a big Origin hater. It was slow, it was overly intrusive, it disabled at least one of my older EA games, and its customer support was terrible. Nowadays it offers me a better overall experience compared to Steam, which tends to crash or freeze on me at least 3-4 times a week. I get far better download speeds with Origin when compared to Steam, and I'm far from what you'd call "rich" -- I've got a standard 20Mb connection that plods through Steam's shitty DL service, but it runs smooth as silk with Origin.

Also, you mentioned the fact that you can't install Origin-activated games outside of using the client downloader itself. That's not entirely true -- according to one CS rep I talked to some time ago, certain games can be detected and updated by Origin if they are already present on your system or are "dragged and dropped" from another install base. All you have to do is make sure the files are in the right location and then enter the serial # in Origin. That process worked perfectly for me when I was trying to get my old pre-installed digital copy of Mass Effect to register with the client. It's not nearly as ubiquitous as Steam's more streamlined way of doing it, but it's there nonetheless.

In relation to the thread's original topic, this is all pretty irrelevant for me anyway. I'm completely done buying EA games after the BF4 fiasco, and Titanfall just comes off as "CoD with mechs" to me. I won't be playing it.

Bloodcrow

Feb 12, 2014
I was going to post a question about Titanfall but since there's so much discussion about Origin, i'm going to switch gears for a bit.

Origin is, put simply, a solution in search of a question that no one asked. EA can't stand that they have been out smarted, out witted and out innovated time and time again. Instead of facing up to reality that Valve is the only significant and serious digital viable distribution out there, they came up with their own "solution": Origin.

Origin offers me nothing that Steam can't do and there's nothing, in my experience, that Steam can't do better than Origin.

Shame on both EA and Ubisoft for thinking they're offering the consumer something that adds to their gaming experiences. That's just the epitome of Cognitive Dissonance.

As for Titanfall, i haven't seen a mention of classes. Will there be classes like anti-mech, engineering/ repairs and healing and support classes?

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Shjade said:
Genocidicles said:
What with the PC version requiring Origin
Wait, what? Really? D:

Well. Shoot. That kinda sucks.

Sidenote, is it odd that seeing this gameplay footage, I find myself wondering what Yahtzee thinks of the game if/when he gives it a try?
He won't, it's multiplayer only. Or he will and he'll say it's multiplayer only and that he doesn't give a shit and spend the other 4,5 minutes making funny noises.

And I don't see why you're all ragging on Origin still. I even get the "fuck EA, not buying it" argument, but hating on Origin is so last year. Seriously, with the new return policy, strictly forced-down-your-throat wise (as many Steam games are as well), it's better. Steam's still miles better and preferable for me, but I don't refuse games because of Origin.

As far as shitty releases go, if you're just worried about that, do what I did with BF4 - wait a few weeks before buying it (when I got BF4, a week later all of my problems with it, read crashes, were sorted out). This is a big title for them and they won't let it go on with game breaking issues forever.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Synthetica said:
Sillyrian said:
Titanfall is £45 on Origin.

I'd consider it if the price wasn't extortionate.
There are some sites where they sell it for less, but I guess you have to trust them
I doubt it's a digital exclusive... I don't get why anyone abroad buys games digitally unless they're on some massive sale. Most of the time you've got brick and mortar stores selling it for a LOT less. I live in Serbia where the prices are ridiculous (70 euros for a PS3 title that you could get for 20 quid in the UK) and I still order them from UK, even with the shipping, it costs me less than most digital titles, at least on release.