Titanfall on Switch? Respawn Says "F*CK NO!"

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I know, right? The Nintendo Switch will probably sell almost as poorly as Titanfall.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Charcharo said:
CaitSeith said:
Whenever the "not porting because it's underpowered" argument comes out, I just check the list of Wii games that 3rd party developers ported from XBOX 360/PS3 and laugh at the non-sense. They would be singing a different song if they thought their ports would sell well on the Switch, no matter how underpowered the platform was.
To be fair, many of the Wii versions were unplayable or nerfed (game design wise) to run on the pathetic excuse for a conslow.

The Switch isnt that bad, true... but it is bad.
Truthful. However, the Switch isn't worse than PS3, and remember how many games this gen were released on PS3 / XBOX360 the same day than in PS4 and XB1. So I no longer believe when a developer decides to not port the game because the console is underpowered. To my ears it's just PR talk for "we don't think it will sell"

EMWISE94

Aug 22, 2013
So here's something I've been thinking about, there is a reasonable argument to made that the Switch's specs not being up to par with the PS4 and Xbone put it at disadvantage when it comes to devs who want to release their games on multiple systems, and the question then becomes, who is willing to release their games on a console without the power of its competitors?

My answer? Indie devs.

Hear me out, you know how Steam's become a shit show when it comes to quality control with Valve just allowing any bile to flow freely on its platform, well what if Nintendo opened the door indie devs that want their game to actually get seen and not lost in the sewage flow? I mean a lot of indie games don't require that much in terms of power and thus could easily be ported to the Switch, boosting it's library somewhat. And said indies can also release their games on PC, PS4 and Xbox Live Arcade (if that's still a thing).

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Fox12 said:
I know, right? The Nintendo Switch will probably sell almost as poorly as Titanfall.
This was basically my thought. It's true, Titanfall WOULDN'T work on the Switch. But Titanfall barely worked on the PC. I feel like Respawn has been pushing the 'edgy, sweary non-corporate true blooded gamer outsider!' card a bit too hard lately, and this is just another example of them trying to push that image like a sweaty overweight hasbeen

Las7

Nov 22, 2014
That's still better than what Bioware and EA did with Mass Effect 3 on Wii U, when they released the game at full price while you could buy the entire trilogy at a lower price via xbox/ps3. I'd prefer devs not waste time rather than try to rip customers off.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I say it when developers make similarly presented comments about PC vs console and I'll say it when they make comments vs Nintendo:
Its unprofessional and rude to talk like that. You could state its not an option or not viable or whatever without feeling the need to pander to platform wars (the worst facet of your customer base).

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
RealRT said:
Goodie! Finally a developer with some sense. I guess I know what my next FPS purchase will be.
This confuses me. Most devs that make games of this caliber have said the exact same thing for the same reason-albeit in a mature manner.
So how is only this dev displaying common sense?

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
-Dragmire- said:
Yeah well, considering that AAA developers don't want to compress audio files anymore, there will probably be many more people that will refuse to port games.
Seriously though, the fuck is with that? The licensing cost for use of the .oog codec CANNOT be high enough to justify having half your games' filesize be audio. And audio decoding isn't exactly a challenging task for the systems anymore.