Titanfall Trailer Shows Off Multiplayer Mech Mayhem

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Titanfall Trailer Shows Off Multiplayer Mech Mayhem

[video=7454 autoplay=0]
Respawn CEO Vince Zampella says the Xbox One-exclusive Titanfall will deliver a multiplayer experience that just wasn't possible on previous consoles.

As so often happens at these things, the E3 presentation of Titanfall, the first game to come out of Respawn Entertainment, was full of sound and fury and signified not a whole lot. Respawn boss Vince Zampella said that the game will take advantage of the cloud to generate multiplayer experiences that weren't possible in previous generations.

The gameplay shown during the presser was fairly standard stuff, at least as far as I could tell from the cheap seats, with plenty of gunfire, rockets and the inappropriately-amusing option to yoink enemy pilots out of their "Titans" and chuck them across the field of battle. The "stand by for Titanfall" line describing the moment at which the giant fighting robot drops out of the sky to save the day sounds forced and silly to my ears, but I suppose that's a matter of personal taste.

Titanfall, as we already know, is an Xbox One exclusive and is scheduled to come out in spring 2014.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
"Uh... my Titan fell over, can someone help? It's really heavy"

Yeah that's all I really got from watching the trailer.

Anathrax

Jan 14, 2013
Polygon claims it's going to be for Xbox 360, Xbone one AND PC. Can someone please confirm this?

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
This game does look interesting. Mechs and stuff are maybe not the newest idea, but the games does look like fast fun. I guess the game will be always be played online with you choosing a faction. They had some talking NPC's in Multiplayer game, so that is why I guess it is always online with some background story. Still not a system seller for me.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Dango said:
"Uh... my Titan fell over, can someone help? It's really heavy"

Yeah that's all I really got from watching the trailer.
Haha, I got the impression that lot's of cool stuff will be happening in the sky box above your head.

It looked interesting, but tieing it to the Xbone is going to be a huge risk for Respawn. Not so much for EA and MSoft, who know doubt have many many get out clauses on the contract, but if Xbone sinks this and Respawn could go with it. Since it's not a first party game there's no gaurantee Microsoft will go out their way to help either.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
The movie portion aside I saw some interesting features in this game. The rocket jumping is one. Reminded me of Tribes in which everyone has a jet pack. Next is the wall jumping. They did show it in the movie and I scoffed, but was shocked when they actually used billboards to take the high ground. Guns are machine guns, even with the jump gate and jetpacks, I expect lasers and electric weapons to pop up. But guess the tech is geared toward the titans and their ships. So let's look a the mechs. For one thing it looks like these things have multiple armaments. No way to know if that's default or they're customizable (Hope the same can be said for the soldiers too, but that's a given if it's a online shooter)Not only did the big bot bring some damage and firepower, but it seems upon exiting it the robot acts like a turret and guards an area. Seems like a rather interesting and solid Multiplayer game, but I'm guessing like most it's single player (if any. Almost seems this is like Starhawk) is rather scripted and short.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Anathrax said:
Polygon claims it's going to be for Xbox 360, Xbone one AND PC. Can someone please confirm this?

This is correct, unless it's been Halo:CE'd and MS have bought them into Xbox One exclusivity.

No worries if that's the case. We have Mechwarrior Online and the new Heavy Gear kickstarter to take its stead.

There's actually no game I can imagine that is so good I'd buy an Xbone to play it.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Akalabeth said:
Considering that the only mecha game we really got on 360 was . . . Frontline, I'm looking forward to this game.
Probably won't play it for a while since I wont get the console at launch but whatever.
Dont forget the many Armored core titles and Warhounds i think it was called. Very good multyplayer game.. thought a bit shitty on the balancing.

But that is allways the case if you let people customize everything in multyplayer titles... just like in mwo.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Anathrax said:
"Respawn CEO Vince Zampella says the **Xbox One-exclusive** Titanfall will deliver a multiplayer experience that just wasn't possible on previous consoles."

Too bad. It actually looks cool. But I won't be buying the Xbone just for this. Or at all, most likely.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Respawn CEO Vince Zampella says the Xbox One-exclusive Titanfall will deliver a multiplayer experience that just wasn't possible on previous consoles.
Ahh, dont give a shit about it anymore. Though, it didnt look all that special anyways.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
Looks pretty neat in the trailer, although I've said that about many things until they've turned out to just be your run-of-the-mill plodding RFPS with a different coat of paint. Might check it out if it comes to PC or maybe PS4.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
Karadalis said:
Akalabeth said:
Considering that the only mecha game we really got on 360 was . . . Frontline, I'm looking forward to this game.
Probably won't play it for a while since I wont get the console at launch but whatever.
Dont forget the many Armored core titles and Warhounds i think it was called. Very good multyplayer game.. thought a bit shitty on the balancing.

But that is allways the case if you let people customize everything in multyplayer titles... just like in mwo.
Have we so soon forgotten the Steel Battalion game? Since every XBone ships with a kinect, it's my fervent hope this also includes all the motion-control goodness that one offered.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Elijah Newton said:
Karadalis said:
Akalabeth said:

Have we so soon forgotten the Steel Battalion game? Since every XBone ships with a kinect, it's my fervent hope this also includes all the motion-control goodness that one offered.
We do not talk about the kinect steel battalion...

It was not a good game...