Titanfall Won't Be As Frustrating As Call of Duty Multiplayer

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Oh dear...

So hes catering to those without thumbs?

Personally I much prefer high damage, quick kill shooters, It feels like the weapons actually work. Ive been sold on this style ever since the action quake mod for Quake II. It means anyone can get kills but it makes it worth taking the time to get good. I always play the hardcore variant of whatever Im playing.

I hate bots. AI is shit and I can play single player for that. Some people dont like multiplayer or competition, they didnt get picked for sports teams at school so I get that, but why wreck competitive game modes like this?

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
So all I'm reading here is, "We have added another way to identify and subsequently camp new players." So now we have even more camping variety; spawn, vehicle, weapon, corner, and AI noob training area... Hum, need to find a shorter phrase for it. It'll come to me.

Apr 28, 2008
Except that experienced players will probably stay on the ground and farm xp/kills from new players. I've played enough competitive shooters to feel safe in saying this will probably be the likely scenario.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Sarge034 said:
So all I'm reading here is, "We have added another way to identify and subsequently camp new players." So now we have even more camping variety; spawn, vehicle, weapon, corner, and AI noob training area... Hum, need to find a shorter phrase for it. It'll come to me.
Mmhmm. I have to wonder how many people will be playing the game just to skim the floor areas to hunt after the newbies trying to find their feet. Some people play just to be pick on those few less skilled than themselves.

Yuuki said:
My only concern is that the Titans themselves aren't overpowered through the roof aganst ground soldiers. For example I'm inhenerently against the concept of killstreaks, if someone is mowing down people back-to-back the LAST thing they fucking need is something that helps them mow people down even faster...not to mention it even further reduces the (already pathetic) chances of any newbies getting those killstreaks.
The whole kill-streak bonuses turns me off COD as well. I mean, if you're already clearing a server, do you REALLY need heat tracking devices? Or an automatic helicopter that newbies won't know how to hide from? Or a goddamn tactical nuke of all things? (Because apparently Japan got two bombs dropped on it right at the end of WW2 because the Americans were already wiping the floor with their ground troops and they just wanted to seal the deal. For shits and giggles or something.)

Then again, they had tools such as the grenade launcher that makes it easier for new players to do well (or so I understand from Extra Credits).

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Deathlyphil said:
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Its cool if they don't want to go for that COD style where the guy who shoots first wins in half a second but

Cognimancer said:
McCoy explains. "When you can kill three guys in eight seconds, that's good - but when you're on the other side of that, it's not."
Maybe those 3 guys should just get gud? Not even kidding here. If you're going to balance your game around Scrubby McNoob because he can't aim for shit and he might get frustrated, I'll skip it.
Maybe they should introduce a ranking system that actually works and places like skilled players against each other? The lack of proper ranked matches in BF3 and CoD almost put me off the genre.

I'll happily wear an "I'm a newb" badge if it meant I can have a fun match rather than get killed every few seconds.
They could also bring back the whole idea of player hosted games. I'm just saying it worked wonders in Rainbow Six Vegas and Vegas 2 when I would host. I could adjust teams so everyone had a fair chance. But also dedicated servers with a ranking system would be great.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Charcharo said:
Only if the AI, whilst limited in abilities, is good. As in VERY good. I want them to hit STALKER level of AI. Even if the soldiers dont have the tech to fight a player or Titan effectively, they must still do all they can in order to be a challenge.
Ummm why? If I'm having a thrilling 1v1 fight with an enemy player, the last thing I need is a freaking AI to come along and finish me off. That would be ragequit-worthy.
It's a PvP game, not a co-op PvE game...so minimal AI interference please. They shouldn't be a "challenge", they should be trash mobs similar to what DotA/LoL has. Just a pushover that does basic stuff, engages other AI and gives newbies a source of guaranteed experience.
Often in multiplayer shooters it's very difficult for newbies to get ranks/unlocks because they spend so much time being DEAD (respawn timers) due to experienced enemies repeatedly stomping them. The entire point of having AI is to make that initial learning curve less painful, not to make the AI "challenging" and potentially interfere with players who know what they're doing.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I won't purchase CoD or BF4 this year, but I am really looking forward to try out Titanfall when it comes out next year.

Yeah it does look like CoD with mechs, but I like mechs so there's that.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
What?

Nothing there says anything that stops experienced players camping and farming newbies. Just that newbies will have things less engaging to shoot at in between getting repeatedly killed.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Its cool if they don't want to go for that COD style where the guy who shoots first wins in half a second but

Cognimancer said:
McCoy explains. "When you can kill three guys in eight seconds, that's good - but when you're on the other side of that, it's not."
Maybe those 3 guys should just get gud? Not even kidding here. If you're going to balance your game around Scrubby McNoob because he can't aim for shit and he might get frustrated, I'll skip it.
I think you sort of missed the point he was trying to make:

The disconnect between players and AI troops is deliberate: these aren't "bots" in the traditional sense. "They're not meant as a human replacement. They're a different class of people. Pilots are these super-awesome soldiers that have the gear to do double jumps, the weapons to take down Titans, but the AI are the low-level guys that are always on the ground ... they show new players where to go. And once they start fighting, they're usually fighting other AI because all the experienced players are fighting on walls and rooftops. New players start getting kills on AI, when usually in multiplayer games they're getting completely whacked."

The end result is a unique kind of battle, where every player can mow down squads of enemies but player-against-player encounters are intense skirmishes. (emphasis added)

It isn't about balancing the game around new players the same way Call of Duty has done by giving new players Deathstreaks or unbalanced weapons/equipment/killstreaks/etc. Based on what he has said, they will still be forced to get better at the game if they hope to take on other players, which they will inevitably have to do. However, they are given AI opponents to deal with as they learn the maps, the way the game plays, or just as target practice if they are having a bad day. It doesn't sound like they are attempting to even the good player-bad player divide, just give something for those bad players to do. And if they're going to prevent players from being on the bad side of a quick set of kills (which is impossible so I seriously doubt they are under any delusion they'll completely remove it), then it is likely through the use of making Pilot and Titan battles intense and personal enough to prevent that from happening often. Instead, you have the AI to perform it on.

OT: I'm really liking what I'm hearing about Titanfall so far and the use of these AI enemies just keeps making it sound better. It might not be the most competitive FPS on the market (I guess we'll see what kind of customization it allows though), but it definitely is shaping up to be a very fun one that I hope lives up to the expectations for enough people to keep this game going.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Is it balanced for lean? Can I pick a server on my pc? Why should I trust the people who sold me the pc version of mw2 again?

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
This sounds similar to the Battlefront games with all the Bots running around. Sounds like a good idea to me then