Titanfall's Season Pass is Now Completely Free!

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Titanfall's Season Pass is Now Completely Free!

If you own Titanfall on PC, Xbox One, or Xbox 360, you can pick up all of its map packs absolutely free!

Can you believe it's been a full year since blog post [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/titanfall] thanking all of its fans for their support. But, it isn't thanking them with just words, it's giving them stuff. To celebrate the one-year anniversary of Titanfall, its Season Pass, AKA all of its downloadable maps, are now completely free for anyone who owns the game.

"All Titanfall map packs are now available for free on Xbox One, Xbox 360, and PC," said the developer. "You just have to head to the online store on Origin [https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/buy/titanfall/pc-download/addon/titanfall-season-pass?referringsite=titanfall&_ga=1.187830120.1781155497.1426117668] or Xbox and download the Season Pass."

"Thanks again to all of you who've supported us and we can't wait to make more games for you in the future. In the meantime, if you haven't tried the new maps, we hope you love them and happy anniversary, Titanfall," said Vince Zampella, the CEO of Respawn entertainment.

When the Frontier's Edge [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132707-Titanfall-Gets-Season-Pass-Origin-Exclusive-Digital-DX-Edition] and IMC Rising.

This can really only be applauded as a great move from Respawn. Paid DLC map packs end up fracturing the community, by separating those who bought them from those who didn't, and the game's increasingly barren online scene could really use an injection of new players. It's a shame the map packs weren't free from the get-go...

Source: Respawn Entertainment [http://www.titanfall.com/news/happy-anniversary-titanfall?utm_campaign=tf-social-us-ic-tw-tf-one-year-031115-tw-img-site-sust&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&sourceid=tf-social-us-ic-tw-tf-one-year-031115-tw-img-site-sust&cid=36676&ts=1426093227488&sf36877308=1]

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
This is great what they've done, but they kinda screwed over people who liked the game enough from the get go to buy the season pass. Seems kinda stupid to piss them off by pretty much saying they wasted twenty-five dollars. Don't get me wrong, I'm applauding what they've done, but they really should give something back to the people who have purchased the season pass.[footnote]No, I have not purchased this game yet. I would be in the group benefiting from this.[/footnote]

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Every time Titanfall was 50% off I kept having the urge to try it out, simply because the premise interested me and I could waste 25 bucks if it sucked. Then I remembered the season pass and map packs and said f that noise. Now? I can probably shell out the money if its free maps.

Anyone know if the online scene is super dead or can I reliably get games?

edit -

Elfgore said:
This is great what they've done, but they kinda screwed over people who liked the game enough from the get go to buy the season pass. Seems kinda stupid to piss them off by pretty much saying they wasted twenty-five dollars. Don't get me wrong, I'm applauding what they've done, but they really should give something back to the people who have purchased the season pass.
Meh. I don't get mad when people get stuff for 50% off when I bought it full price, why should I be mad people got somethin for free that I paid for a year ago?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Wait...are there actually people still playing this? From what I heard this was now a more-or-less dead title. >.>

This seems more like a "Please buy our game! We'll give you this stuff for free!!!" cry of desperation more than a "Thanks for staying with us and playing for a full year! Now here's a bunch of free stuff that you most likely/hopefully already paid for and have!" way of saying thanks.

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
I got the Deluxe Edition in December with all the DLC included for ?12 on the Xbox Live store. Fantastic value.

However, I think this latest update to Titanfall is a case of 1 step forwards and another step backwards. While making the DLC free will help remedy some of the fragmentation in the playerbase (although in my experience, very few players seemed to either have or play the DLC maps prior to this), another change they made today was the introduction of more playlists/gamemodes. Titanfall already has a lot of playlists and the playerbase isn't as vibrant as it used to be (not to mention the fact that by default players are separated into a surprisingly large number of regional server areas). So I feel that the introduction of more playlists will serve only to undo the good achieved by the free DLC in terms of fixing playerbase fragmentation.

Sep 24, 2008
Yup! They can only be applauded for what ended up screwing over people like me who actually paid for it.

This is exactly the reason I want to only pay for games during Steam sales. I've actually been disappointed in almost every game I paid full price for. If I actually still played this, I'd probably be more upset.

Jeteye

Escapist +
Feb 7, 2011
Country
United States of America
shintakie10 said:
Every time Titanfall was 50% off I kept having the urge to try it out, simply because the premise interested me and I could waste 25 bucks if it sucked. Then I remembered the season pass and map packs and said f that noise. Now? I can probably shell out the money if its free maps.

TLDR: Yes the online scene is still alive enough.

The general maps still have a far amount of player although it is quite common to have a match where one team is up 2 or 3 players to the other team. If someone drops out mid-game their spot will rarely be filled before the round ends. From my experience its also common to get on unbalanced teams level wise. The level cap is 50 and you'll get in games against 6 player 4 of them are level 50 and the highest ranking person on your time will be 20. For the DLC maps there are very few people on them right now. The game will tell you how many people are playing those maps world wide and at time of writing the most I saw on any of the 2 DLC maps was 25 total world wide. Since the maps are now free maybe that'll go up. So ya there are still enough people playing right now to get a good game going.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
I loved titan fall... Minus the titans. Pilot v pilot was quick and dynamic. Titans eh just never liked them. To little to late for it on PC it is DEAD. Even 3 months in it was tough to get a game.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Jeteye said:
shintakie10 said:

TLDR: Yes the online scene is still alive enough.

The general maps still have a far amount of player although it is quite common to have a match where one team is up 2 or 3 players to the other team. If someone drops out mid-game their spot will rarely be filled before the round ends. From my experience its also common to get on unbalanced teams level wise. The level cap is 50 and you'll get in games against 6 player 4 of them are level 50 and the highest ranking person on your time will be 20. For the DLC maps there are very few people on them right now. The game will tell you how many people are playing those maps world wide and at time of writing the most I saw on any of the 2 DLC maps was 25 total world wide. Since the maps are now free maybe that'll go up. So ya there are still enough people playing right now to get a good game going.
Eh, I play a decent bit of Battlefield 3 so the level difference thing isn't much of a bother to me. Also because I play Battlefield 3 I'm really used to the DLC gettin very little play. The uneven teams thing happens less depending on the server, but when it does happen its super annoying. Not sure I'd be able to handle that on a regular basis.

ObsidianJones said:
Yup! They can only be applauded for what ended up screwing over people like me who actually paid for it.

This is exactly the reason I want to only pay for games during Steam sales. I've actually been disappointed in almost every game I paid full price for. If I actually still played this, I'd probably be more upset.
Said it earlier as I think of it for myself, but I guess I'll ask you directly since you feel differently.

Do you feel that buying your games during Steam sales is screwing over those who have bought the game full price? Do you take that logic into your everyday life too? Like are you super duper pissed off when you buy milk and then find out its on sale in a few days?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
That's awesome.

I've said this about other shooters that they kill themselves with these map packs. For multi-player, I basically just play CoD (and even now, I skipped the map packs this time around) because it's such a high investment for me to try to get into any others if I want to actually play with people in the games.

Map Packs do nothing but split your audience. Something like this is an excellent way for them to allow everyone back into the game without forcing them to spend $45 (plus the cost of the game itself). I've considered Titanfall a few times but never pulled the trigger since I knew to really get to play online, I'd be spending money on a bunch of map packs...

As for people who already paid complaining; that mildly sucks I suppose but I'd take this over splitting your community any day. You don't complain when I pay $60 for a game at launch and then wonder why your buddy got to buy it for $20 a year later, do you? Tomb Raider just showed up on the Games for Gold thing on the 360; do I have a right to complain that I bought it a little over a year ago because now it's free so I should feel ripped off?

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Ooh, being a cheapskate that won't buy games until they're old news pays off again (unless they're really good). Maybe, I'll give in to installing Origin, coming up with a stupid screen name for it, and buying Titanfall. I hate when DLC splits a player base.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Fuck yeah

I got the game as a gift recently and have been enjoying my experience so far. Definitely not a AAA blockbuster, but this goes a long way in injecting more fun replay-ability into the game.

I mean like I recently got back into Guild Wars 1 and the Expansions, that are now excluding me from the already small community, are $20 each. Like dude, the game is like 10 years old. I had to contact customer service just to find my account again.

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
sneakypenguin said:
I loved titan fall... Minus the titans. Pilot v pilot was quick and dynamic. Titans eh just never liked them. To little to late for it on PC it is DEAD. Even 3 months in it was tough to get a game.
I know what you mean. I played for a few days when a friend rented it, and I LOVED playing as the pilot. Better than any fps I've ever played, better than any from this console cycle (even Destiny, which for all its faults has AMAZING game-feel). Playing as a titan, on the other hand, was less than thrilling. Given their size, maps that are huge and cavernous for human players are tight corridors once you mech up. They make for fantastic background elements for the pilot-to-pilot shootouts, though, and taking one down when you're on the ground never stops feeling impressive.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
My first thought on reading this was; They have either given up on this game, or they are about to release a ton of new content.

Sep 24, 2008
shintakie10 said:
Said it earlier as I think of it for myself, but I guess I'll ask you directly since you feel differently.

Do you feel that buying your games during Steam sales is screwing over those who have bought the game full price? Do you take that logic into your everyday life too? Like are you super duper pissed off when you buy milk and then find out its on sale in a few days?
There's a difference between Milk and Video Games.

There will never be a milk that I buy the carton and the lactate, and that Calcium will only be added if I pay 20 cents more. There will never be a Milk that I can only pour just a third of a cup no matter how much I up-end the carton, and I'll be only able to unlock a full glass once I become a preferred customer.

I bought my games during steam sales mainly because times were tough and I couldn't just throw my money around on games that could have ended up being disappointing to me. We all have that problem. We're adults now, and luxury items are becoming more of a luxury as we need to continue to put food and alcohol in our mouths.

Times got a little better, and I've bought most of the games last year full price. Shadow of Mordor with Season Pass, Dragon Age Inquistion Deluxe, Dying Light Season Pass, Dead Rising 3 Ultimate (pc), Evolve Monster Edition, Divinity: Original Sin.

Most fun was with Divinity. Still on my computer. Shadow is a great game, but I feel too overpowered in it. Not that much challenge. The rest bored me in seconds.

However, the ultra happy cool mega pre-purchases bonuses.... weren't worth it. I've learned my lesson.

So yeah, when we take a risk, we do want to feel like there was a reward. The risk is buying a game nowadays anyway. You feel like you need a season pass. Especially with multiplayer games like Evolve and Titanfall. Where you're trying to squeeze every inch of fun with an online experience (I know Evolve has an offline mode but it really wasn't built that well), you need everything they can give you. And they are carving off every bit they can while leaving just a taste of meat on the bone that you buy for 60.

It used to be that they at least gave you excuses. I remember when they said stuff like "The content in from ashes was developed by a separate team (after the core game was finished) and not complicated until well after the main game went into certification" [http://kotaku.com/5892307/part-of-mass-effects-controversial-day-one-dlc-is-on-the-disc-video-alleges-update]. The pleasant little lies that made us think that the developers were really thinking about us. Now with all of the On Disc DlC [http://www.giantbomb.com/on-disc-dlc/3015-4704/games/] it just became about piecing out already made plans for dlc, not a finished product.

To answer your question, No. I don't think I'm screwing over people who buy games right away. But I used to. Very much. That's why when the times got better for me, I did the first edition, pre-bonus crap now. And as you see, I did it a lot last year. And save for two, I was supremely disappointed. 2015, save for one game, I'm going to wait until the GoTY edition comes out. Then I'll get it on a steam sale. Because I tried to work with the Triple A designers. And they were just happy to get another simp.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I know I shouldn't, but I find this hysterical! Won't be long before Destiny and Evolve has free DLC and season passes.
This just shows the contempt publishers have for us.

PMAvers

May 27, 2009
Better question, will the maps from the DLC be rolled into the normal playlists or will they still be segregated out into their own?