Titan's "Tropical Lake" Excites Scientists

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I really want to blow it up now that I know it is covered in flamable gas

BlindWorg

Oct 31, 2009
Time? Is there a rule that every scientific thingimabob project has to make a coherent word when abbrevated i wonder...

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Soawesomesoawesomesoawesome.
Oh please let their be life... even the mere possibilities for new and complex lifeforms to evolve...
Mainly so we can fly over there and totally fuck with them when they become advanced by leaving just stuff around.

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
antipunt said:
Months later:

"GAIS, we confirmed it. There's life!"

"holy crap holy crap!"

"there are microorganisms"

"holy crap!"

"it'll take millions of years of evolution for it to become intelligent!"

"...."

" >_> "
I think you're missing the point of finding life in space. It isn't about finding aliens that fly about in space craft and shoot ray-guns, it's about confirming that Earth isn't the only planet able to host life. Once we have that settled then we can focus on intelligent life.

Yosarian2

Jan 29, 2011
antipunt said:
Months later:

"holy crap holy crap!"

"holy crap!"

"...."

" >_> "
Doesn't matter. The biggest thing is, if life independently arose in two different places in our one solar system, in very different environments, then it must be EVERYWHERE in the universe. We don't really know how common life is, because you can't calculate odds if you have a sample size of one; if there is or was life anywhere else in the solar system, though, then that would mean there would have to be billions of living planets in our galaxy.

It would also be a bonanza for biologists and for science in general, of course.

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
Of the several things that was interesting about this article, one was a bit personal for me; a few hours ago, I read that Coleridge poem for the first time in over five years... Love coincidences that for a few microseconds make me wonder if they're coincidences...

More to the point: I really do hope I live to see the discovery of life elsewhere, no matter its complexity.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
CosmicCommander said:
Adam Jensen said:
CosmicCommander said:
I'm creaming my pants at the thought of claiming Titan's hydrocarbon deposits. Any company/individual who did that would probably be the richest group/guy ever.
Believe it or not, we already have laws against that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_heritage_of_mankind

The reason why we have this law is because of the Cold War and the whole space race. Both sides were worried about what would happen if they lose. They thought the other side would be able to claim all the riches from space. So they made that law. Of course, once we're actually able to go up there and exploit all those resources, I have a feeling that law will change drastically.
How can they arrest me once I have all the...

[HEADING=1]SPACE OIL[/HEADING]
Lol.

Space travel is prohibitively expensive now because we use combustion to do it and it takes a tremendous amount of fuel to get out of the earth's gravitational pull. It would never be cost effective to build a tanker that can get to Titan that uses combustion to propel itself. The larger the tanker, the more fuel you have to use to get there and back.

Not to mention the fact that it would take an incredibly long time and would be incredibly dangerous. It would have to be automated because space is just too unhealthy for humans due to the radiation and the effects of weightlessness. There would also be a significant delay in communicating with it due to the speed of light, so it would have to be more or less completely autonomous, which would require one BEAST of an AI.

The only thing that would make it cost effective would be if we came up with some sort of new type of propulsion. But if we did that then we would probably no longer be using combustion, and the value of the methane would go way down and hence would not be worth collecting.

Oh, and methane is a gas, not oil.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
Quaxar said:
gigastar said:
Guess Titan can be second choice if colonising Mars doesnt go to plan.
Nah man, Europa is where it's at.
A water ice crust and the possibility of liquid oceans underneath.
Well, if we find a way to block the massive amounts of cosmic radiation that bombard these places. Earth is lucky because it has a spinning iron core that produces a strong electromagnetic field. Though I guess you might be alright if you stayed deep enough under the water in Europa.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
antipunt said:
Months later:

"holy crap holy crap!"

"holy crap!"

"...."

" >_> "
Kill it now! I have seen this movie I know how it ends. Kill it now!

Cool find though. Space jungles may be a nice vacation point if we can make space travel cheaper.

RonHiler

Sep 16, 2004
ReiverCorrupter said:
This is not correct, at least not on Titan. Methane is a gas at room temperature (25C). Cool it down to -180C and it becomes a liquid. Just like water can be in gaseous, liquid, or solid forms, depending on its temperature and pressure, so to can other gasses. In fact, at that temperature, not much is going to be a gas, virtually everything will either be liquid or solid.

Coolpilot

Shadow
Mar 1, 2011
BlindWorg said:
Time? Is there a rule that every scientific thingimabob project has to make a coherent word when abbrevated i wonder...
Pretty much, yes. It's an old joke that scientists make the acronym first, then figure out what it's going to mean second.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
RonHiler said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
This is not correct, at least not on Titan. Methane is a gas at room temperature (25C). Cool it down to -180C and it becomes a liquid. Just like water can be in gaseous, liquid, or solid forms, depending on its temperature and pressure, so to can other gasses. In fact, at that temperature, not much is going to be a gas, virtually everything will either be liquid or solid.
This is true. Of course by that line of reasoning we shouldn't really call anything a 'gas' or a 'solid' unless its atomic/molecular structure is such that it can only exist in a certain form. Otherwise 'solidity' or 'liquidity' are merely states of the substance that are contingent upon its environment, and not an intrinsic property. (Although the potentiality to undergo these different states at certain temperatures could be said to be an intrinsic property, that would probably reduce to an explanation of its atomic structure that doesn't implicitly involve notions of states such as liquidity.)

However, putting all that aside, my point was more about the monetary value of methane, i.e. it is less valuable than the crude oil that we refine into gasoline.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
I'm not saying it's aliens, but it's aliens.
In all seriousness I'm pretty stoked to see if this turns out to be life forms.

Grenaid

Feb 13, 2010
How do you land on a planet full of methane? Kind of reminds me of the first episodes of ST Voyager, it would suck if you totally screwed any life with a fireball when you were on your way in.

Keneth

Oct 14, 2011
Grenaid said:
How do you land on a planet full of methane? Kind of reminds me of the first episodes of ST Voyager, it would suck if you totally screwed any life with a fireball when you were on your way in.
I'm pretty sure that was an episode of Enterprise not Voyager, but I'll let it slide. I try not to Trekkie Nerdrage as much as I used to. =P

OT: I'm somewhat apprehensive about finding life on other planes. I'm not all that afraid of it. (Who knows what methane based microorganisms could do to the human body, though.) I'm more worried what WE would do to THEM. We humans don't have a very good track record with such things. ESPECIALLY when there are potential fuel sources involved.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
So, did anybody else read this and think of the plot to Shogo: Mobile Armor Division[footnote]It's okay if nobody did, I'd be surprised if more than two other people out of everyone who reads this thread have even heard of it, it was heavily overshadowed by Unreal and Half Life when it was new.[/footnote]? Specifically the way the fuel that was needed for the game's FTL drives was actually an intelligent species? The basic idea was also used in either Star Control 2 or Starflight, I forget which.

Anyway, this is a slightly different form of science fiction potentially becoming science fact than what we normally see. I know any life out there is astronomically unlikely to be intelligent, but even if it's microbes, it's still life in a potential fuel source.