Titan's "Tropical Lake" Excites Scientists

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
CosmicCommander said:
I'm creaming my pants at the thought of claiming Titan's hydrocarbon deposits. Any company/individual who did that would probably be the richest group/guy ever.
But how would people survive on the planet to gather the resources and deal with any potential life?
Personally, I say we should put some research into enabling us to control artificial organic lifeforms with our minds.
That way, the humans could safely stay inside some sort of control pod in a non-hostile environment, while controlling an avatar of sorts that would be able to survive on the surface of Titan.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
Jonluw said:
CosmicCommander said:
I'm creaming my pants at the thought of claiming Titan's hydrocarbon deposits. Any company/individual who did that would probably be the richest group/guy ever.
But how would people survive on the planet to gather the resources and deal with any potential life?
Personally, I say we should put some research into enabling us to control artificial organic lifeforms with our minds.
That way, the humans could safely stay inside some sort of control pod in a non-hostile environment, while controlling an avatar of sorts that would be able to survive on the surface of Titan.
Simple, they just tow Titan to Earth. And then they can quickly harvest the

[HEADING=1]SPACE OIL[/HEADING]

and get rich off it, enabling them to invest in looking into life and extracting the

and we'll have no problem.

Come on guys, we can do this! Just send me five bucks each over PayPal, I'll buy us a rocket and an intergalactic towing device from my local supermarket, and we can get down to the sweet, sweet

[HEADING=1]SPACE OIL.[/HEADING]

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
Fappy said:
For some reason I always think about Cowboy Bebop when I think about Titan.
Oh thank God I'm not the only one. Instantly flashed Vicious listening to the music box...

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
...Aren't the Grunts of Halo methane-based? Or...breath in a methane-heavy type of air?

Other than that, I WANNA GO! Can we please be a space-faring species now?! Please!?!

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
CosmicCommander said:
Jonluw said:
CosmicCommander said:

and get rich off it, enabling them to invest in looking into life and extracting the

Come on guys, we can do this! Just send me five bucks each over PayPal, I'll buy us a rocket and an intergalactic towing device from my local supermarket, and we can get down to the sweet, sweet

But what if all the

is located under a huge tree inhabited by lots of cute alien lifeforms?

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
Once we discover that there is life there it will change everything!!!
And then we won't care anymore.... -_-

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
Jonluw said:
CosmicCommander said:
Jonluw said:
CosmicCommander said:

But what if all the

is located under a huge tree inhabited by lots of cute alien lifeforms?
What aliens? There were no aliens here? Would you like some stew? Yes, it's made with all natural ingredients from Titan. Tasty, yes? Enjoy your

Von Strimmer

Apr 17, 2011
Sizzle Montyjing said:
Soawesomesoawesomesoawesome.
Oh please let their be life... even the mere possibilities for new and complex lifeforms to evolve...
Mainly so we can fly over there and totally fuck with them when they become advanced by leaving just stuff around.
They exist because we allow it, and they will end because we demand it.

Looking forward to reading the results of this adventure, maybe it will cue another space race :D

Bazaalmon

Apr 19, 2009
[link]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_seep[/link]
It's real people!
You know what that means?
LIFE!
Probably not intelligent life, but life nonetheless!

Unfortunately, we may never know, because NASA's funding *keeps getting cut!* /nerdrage!

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
While everyone *squees!* about the possibility of life my first thought was,

"Xanadu? Isn't that the Alien Space Pope those Scientology nuts worship once the members pay the membership fee?"

Grenaid

Feb 13, 2010
Keneth said:
Grenaid said:
How do you land on a planet full of methane? Kind of reminds me of the first episodes of ST Voyager, it would suck if you totally screwed any life with a fireball when you were on your way in.
I'm pretty sure that was an episode of Enterprise not Voyager, but I'll let it slide. I try not to Trekkie Nerdrage as much as I used to. =P

OT: I'm somewhat apprehensive about finding life on other planes. I'm not all that afraid of it. (Who knows what methane based microorganisms could do to the human body, though.) I'm more worried what WE would do to THEM. We humans don't have a very good track record with such things. ESPECIALLY when there are potential fuel sources involved.
Caretaker? [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caretaker_(Star_Trek:_Voyager)/] 'Nucleogenics' is the thing I was thinking of from the episode apparently, I never saw much of Enterprise. The Caretakers trashed the whole planet just by arriving there.

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
ReiverCorrupter said:
Quaxar said:
gigastar said:
Guess Titan can be second choice if colonising Mars doesnt go to plan.
Nah man, Europa is where it's at.
A water ice crust and the possibility of liquid oceans underneath.
Well, if we find a way to block the massive amounts of cosmic radiation that bombard these places. Earth is lucky because it has a spinning iron core that produces a strong electromagnetic field. Though I guess you might be alright if you stayed deep enough under the water in Europa.
That's not it at all. Earth's magnetic field is actually quite weak. An ordinary refrigerator magnet is about 150 times stronger. Cosmic radiation has energy in the MeV range for alpha radiation and GeV for beta radiation. There's no way Earth's magnetic field can repel firepower of that magnitude (heh, heh). What protects us here is actually our atmosphere, and even then, this stuff doesn't straight up kill you or some astronauts wouldn't have been able to spend up to 6 months on the space station. Europa indeed receives quite harmful doses of radiation but this is from the intense electromagnetic and tidal forces exerted on it by Jupiter. That's what creates enough warmth to have the possibility of a liquid ocean; the sun sure as hell ain't heating it at that distance. Mars is easily our best shot. I'd listen to broadcasts detailing all the bickering on Earth, sit back in a lawn chair with a Fresca and think "Well this shit's not my problem anymore."
Adam Jensen said:
Believe it or not, we already have laws against that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_heritage_of_mankind

The reason why we have this law is because of the Cold War and the whole space race. Both sides were worried about what would happen if they lose. They thought the other side would be able to claim all the riches from space. So they made that law. Of course, once we're actually able to go up there and exploit all those resources, I have a feeling that law will change drastically.
Yeah, especially once privatization of space starts to become more prominent, which is looking pretty freaking likely at this point, even in the near future. In order to kick space exploration into high gear, people have to be able to make a living out there.

This Titan thing is a pretty neat discovery. Looks like it's time to bust out the probulator on this sucker. Well, we have sent a probe there, but now we're going to have to probulate harder.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
TheMann said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
Quaxar said:
gigastar said:
Guess Titan can be second choice if colonising Mars doesnt go to plan.
Nah man, Europa is where it's at.
A water ice crust and the possibility of liquid oceans underneath.
Well, if we find a way to block the massive amounts of cosmic radiation that bombard these places. Earth is lucky because it has a spinning iron core that produces a strong electromagnetic field. Though I guess you might be alright if you stayed deep enough under the water in Europa.
That's not it at all. Earth's magnetic field is actually quite weak. An ordinary refrigerator magnet is about 150 times stronger. Cosmic radiation has energy in the MeV range for alpha radiation and GeV for beta radiation. There's no way Earth's magnetic field can repel firepower of that magnitude (heh, heh). What protects us here is actually our atmosphere, and even then, this stuff doesn't straight up kill you or some astronauts wouldn't have been able to spend up to 6 months on the space station. Europa indeed receives quite harmful doses of radiation but this is from the intense electromagnetic and tidal forces exerted on it by Jupiter. That's what creates enough warmth to have the possibility of a liquid ocean; the sun sure as hell ain't heating it at that distance.
I've heard conflicting things. As far as the strength of earth's magnetic field goes, my understanding is that it's strong for a planted of its size, though it may be proportionally weak compared to what we can do with electromagnets. I am of course aware that the atmosphere blocks a good amount of radiation. My understanding was that the magnetic field complements the atmosophere. I don't think the idea is that it is strong so much as it is very large and so helps to weed things out before they get to our atmosphere, which can only stop a certain percentage of radiation. The atmosphere only stops radiation when the radiation actually hits a particle of the gases that make up our atmosphere. Even low energy radiation can get lucky and pass through. If the overall radiation that gets to the atmosphere increased so would the amount that gets to us. It's also my understanding that the magnetic field somehow helps us keep our atmosphere. But I'm not a physicist so I could be horribly mistaken about all these things.

TheMann said:
Mars is easily our best shot. I'd listen to broadcasts detailing all the bickering on Earth, sit back in a lawn chair with a Fresca and think "Well this shit's not my problem anymore."
My hope was actually that Mars would require tons of laborers so all the idiots would go there and leave me on this beautiful little blue and green marble, which will then be able to recover from all the damage we've caused it. My understanding is also that Mars can never hold an atmosphere. I guess you could create giant domes, but then everyone would get really f$%&ed if an asteroid hit it, which happens often on mars because it doesn't have an atmosphere. I'd imagine quite a few people would get cabin fever and become murderous. Hopefully this space dementia will be accompanied by horrible mutations caused by cosmic radiation and drilling/industrial waste so that it brings about some sort of Hills Have Eyes scenario.

Actually... it's starting to sound more appealing... if I can bring lots of guns.

(In case it isn't obvious, I'm joking about the mutants.)

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
antipunt said:
Months later:

"GAIS, we confirmed it. There's life!"

"holy crap holy crap!"

"there are microorganisms"

"holy crap!"

"it'll take millions of years of evolution for it to become intelligent!"

"...."

" >_> "
"Hey, guys! They've finally became sentient life! We can finally communicate with them!"

"Jim, shut up! We're trying to get the FTL drives running so we can get away from the sun that is slowly becoming a Red Giant and is trying to bake us!"

vehystrix

Nov 18, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
So, did anybody else read this and think of the plot to Shogo: Mobile Armor Division[footnote]It's okay if nobody did, I'd be surprised if more than two other people out of everyone who reads this thread have even heard of it, it was heavily overshadowed by Unreal and Half Life when it was new.[/footnote]? Specifically the way the fuel that was needed for the game's FTL drives was actually an intelligent species? The basic idea was also used in either Star Control 2 or Starflight, I forget which.

Anyway, this is a slightly different form of science fiction potentially becoming science fact than what we normally see. I know any life out there is astronomically unlikely to be intelligent, but even if it's microbes, it's still life in a potential fuel source.
If I recall correctly the fuel in shogo wasn't all that intelligent. It was alive, sure, but comparable to algae regarding intelligence.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
vehystrix said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
So, did anybody else read this and think of the plot to Shogo: Mobile Armor Division[footnote]It's okay if nobody did, I'd be surprised if more than two other people out of everyone who reads this thread have even heard of it, it was heavily overshadowed by Unreal and Half Life when it was new.[/footnote]? Specifically the way the fuel that was needed for the game's FTL drives was actually an intelligent species? The basic idea was also used in either Star Control 2 or Starflight, I forget which.

Anyway, this is a slightly different form of science fiction potentially becoming science fact than what we normally see. I know any life out there is astronomically unlikely to be intelligent, but even if it's microbes, it's still life in a potential fuel source.
If I recall correctly the fuel in shogo wasn't all that intelligent. It was alive, sure, but comparable to algae regarding intelligence.
It's been a while since I've played it so my memory may be off, but

The main bad guy was actually being controlled by it. It was some sort of a hive mind that was using him to defend itself

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Let's just hope for their own sake, that whatever life develops there never discovers fire...