To all you Non American English speaking people out there

Trillovinum

Dec 15, 2010
henritje said:
pretty much ANY dutchman talking in half English/Half dutch and hard translates everything
sadly this is a correct stereotype.
if you are wondering what I,m meaning look for "I always get my own sin"
You're doing it right there! "if you're wondering what I'm meaning"

That's Dutch word order. :p

'If you're wondering what I mean.' is the correct way of saying it.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
DrunkenElfMage said:
I was wondering what were some of the most inaccurate accents/dialects that you have ever heard in a game or a movie? Do they offend you in any way? If they don't, then why not?

I was wondering because I am pretty sure the demoman's Scottish dialect is REALLY off, but I don't find it particularly offensive because all of the characters are intentional cartoonish representation or their respective regions.
Dragon Quest VIII and Musashi for ps2.

Anime worlds have nothing to do with crazy Harry Potter accents. Both games were more fun with the voices turned off lol.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
Third Dutchie replying apparantly.

But yeah, dutch accents aren't portrayed often with Holland being such a piss small country and all, but our accents really are rather terrible, so we look past that. Germans say we sound like baby's first words, a Norwegian told me dutch sounds like someone attempting to sing.......

The alternative is you people learning dutch.....Imagine how terrible that would sound.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Pretty much anytime I hear an English accent in any game or movie, I always have to ask myself why they never use a Brummie or a Scouse. Also I'm going to just put this out there... Australian and English accents sound nothing alike, not even close! The amount of people who seem to think that the English accent in Saints Row was Australian astounds me -_-

Also we need a vidogame protagonist from Swansea, proper thick accent and mannerisms!

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
i know im not the person who being asked since im american...but can i say almost NO ONE does a proper southern accent without gross exaggeration? because it's true. (except haggard from BFBC)

jibjamborie

Feb 7, 2011
I am Irish, and You would be surprised how inacurate the Irish accent is..in everything..

But, I have never been offended by anything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Remember, Eagles may soar... but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.

socialmenace42

May 8, 2010
In all honesty, Dick van Dyke set the bar for awfull accents kinda early and I'm so sure no one has topped him yet (be that in film, TV or videogames) and with him it's so endearing that I'll ***** about it, but in a fun way, it's not gonna make me rage.

No, poorly presented accents in games don't get me riled up.

However, when i have subtitles on and notice that coloUr has been written color

I'm 'a fuckin RAGE!

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
SidingWithTheEnemy said:
Most Nazi-Stormtroopers are speaking German with an Anglo/American accent they are just hillariously bad.
Oh, yes, those Mafia Guys (you know, the mob fellas) who "say" they are from Sicily but have a Neapolitan accent. (Completely different region and VERY OPPOSITE families Camorra vs. Cosa Nostra.)
And of course those other Mafia guys who think the can speak Italian, but they just fail. They haven't the slightest idea what they are saying.
It makes those Mafia movies/game completely f*cked up, because all serious crime activity turns into commedy.
This, my Grandfather moved here from Italy, and learned English, so he has a real accent, and hearing all the fake ones gets me and my Father pretty angry, although he just thinks its hilarious, but speaking of which, I have noticed a very worrying trend where people who only have a slim amount of Italian blood suddenly think they are the next Godfather or some nonsense, and try talking like a mix of every Mafia movie and Mario combined

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
People thinking Dutch people talk like Germans. We don't. The only game I love for it's correct Dutch is Civilization IV, which seems to have been voice-acted by an actual Dutch person.Other than that, I don't think the Dutch really feature in anything important and I can't really judge other accents - noticing errors in accents is something one is more likely to note if one speaks it.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Dr.Kay said:
DrunkenElfMage said:
I was wondering what were some of the most inaccurate accents/dialects that you have ever heard in a game or a movie? Do they offend you in any way? If they don't, then why not?

I was wondering because I am pretty sure the demoman's Scottish dialect is REALLY off, but I don't find it particularly offensive because all of the characters are intentional cartoonish representation or their respective regions.
thats the worst english there is.

Americans trying to use any accent other than their own alwasy fails. Then again, americans are so smug (for no reason) that they somehow believe, despite how young their country is, that their accent is...not an accent...that it is a 'normal' accent...how does that even make sense?

Well thats americans for you.
Hey now don't put all Americans down, this view of our superiority comes from after WW2 when most countries thought of us as one of the most important super powers, and being a young and naive nation, we held on to that for dear life, these days though that superiority feeling is quickly disappearing, mostly among the 18-29 year olds, I saw a study earlier today that said 18% of that demographic thinks the USA is the best country, the problem is with the older generations, who have more of a voice, also keep in mind that most people below 18 (and of course above it but not as much) are just jerks who make fun of every country for no real reason, but they still don't really think America is best, they just make fun of the other countries

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Affion Crockett tried to impersonate a stereotypical Latino gangbanger once as a firm consultant. He would spray paint a profit projections chart to show increasing profits, he would suggest ethical solutions based on the Latino community, all while saying 'Ese' every other sentence and riding a low rider bicycle.

I wasn't offended so much as laughing at how BAD his impersonation was. Seriously, he can make Drake funny by just uttering a single loud "HAAAH", but he must not know any Latinos to do such a bad impersonation.

Johnny from MadTV does a better impersonation as Nacho Hernandez aka Little Joker.

Orale!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQJlJf_qcC8

Yes, I'm aware he's Hispanic, but that doesn't mean that you can't play your own stereotypes with such accuracy and tasteful humor.

CthulhuMessiah

Apr 28, 2011
Any Canadian accent ever. I have never, in my entire life, met anyone who has ever had a Canadian accent, and only one person that says "Eh?", but that guy is THE stereotypical Canadian.

nasteypenguin

Mar 2, 2011
I've never really been offended by someone attempting an accent. However my favourite example of badly impersonated accents in gaming has to be from Age of Empires 2, because they attempt so many accents and they're all just terrible.

xellotah

Aug 23, 2010
Basically any movie where the latin american accent is generelized to just mexican accent.
Aparently colombians, peruvian or any other latin american, speak with a mexican accent.
I dont't find it offensive, just pretty ridiculos specially in movies that try to be serious and have that stuff.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Any time somebody tries to speak like a Canadian, I want to punch them. We don't all sound like that! A lot of our speech patterns are local, or influenced by whoever settled the region we were born in. For example, my speech style is technically known as Ottawa Valley Twang. Heavy Irish influence, but also incorporating Polish and Scottish accents as well, depending on what part of the valley you live in. (Wilno is the oldest Polish settlement in the country for example.)

And we don't sound like anybody from the city or from the other provinces.

I mean, it is very obvious to us when someone tries to speak like a Canadian, but we have such diverse accents that some people can't pick up on them. Take Mass Effect for example. MaleShep and FemShep are both voiced by Canadians, but a lot of Americans I know never picked up on it. Listen in particular to words like "route" or "roof" to catch the accent.
Saulkar said:
I share this sentiment. While it is not overtly offensive, the fact that it is so overused in foreign media makes it difficult for anybody to disserne what it really sound like if they never really met a Canadian. Almost as if they are afraid of culture shocking Americans by saying we actually do not speak that way. XD

I'm am personally from south central Saskatchewan and accents are almost none existant but something I have come to learn from a few foreign people is that I personally inherit a tiny Irish flavour to my voice. Minus any Irish terminologies or figure of speeches. ^^;

But on the other hand like you said our accents are extremely varied. Even though it is hard to hear it there are distinct differences in the accents of someone from Northern and Southern Saskatchewan that are not present in other provinces.
Yeah yeah yeah.

Whatever, eh.

We all know that, deep down, you guys are all aboot your Labatt's/maple syrup shots.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
The only thing that annoys me is how so many baddies are English or have the accent. Damn you George Lucas

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Since all the good ones are taken...E, the thin-blood from VTM:B.

Also, Holly Valance in the DOA movie...mind you, that was such a silly movie that her accent slipping was sorta funny.

But...as much as I like ex-soapie stars who fade away after trying for the singer/actress thing, why couldn't they have just gotten an English person to play the English character?

One of the thing sI like about Harry Potter is Rowling's insistance that British people play the British people. Oh, and not changing the setting to the US.