To all you Non American English speaking people out there

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
the american voice actors in arma2 trying to speak czech actually caused my physical pain.

other than that: german ususally is really, REALLY bad. like beyond bad.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Welsh characters, or, more accurately, the lack thereof.

Seriously, can anyone think of a Welsh character that originates in a game or movie from outside the UK - they don't exist! We're fucking drowning in the endless tide of Scottish, English and even Irish stereotypes, but if you said "Wales" to anyone outside the UK, they'd probably think you were talking about the fish (yeah, I know, "Marine Mammal", but they'd think it was a fish, because they're a strawman and therefore dumb) The only one I can think of is Welshie from Futurama (Welshie! Noooooooooooooooooo!), the only other ones TVTropes lists is some X-man and anime I haven't heard of...

Also, Finnish characters who nonsensically have "Swedish" accents. That's just not doing the research. Double not doing the research, actually, because Finnish people sound even less like Swedish people than Swedish people sound like German people!

pilkman

Sep 15, 2010
CrystalShadow said:
I'm a bad judge of accents to be honest. Even though I've lived in England, Australia, and the Netherlands, I just don't really know how to judge it.

I can't say I've heard Australian accents go wrong all that much, because, well, not many people try to fake them. I don't think I've ever seen a film where a person with an Australian accent wasn't actually Australian.

Though I will note that the most common depictions of Australian accents outside of Australia aren't accents that you actually come across all that often.

Meanwhile, English accents are another matter entirely. What I notice in American films is that they tend to pick accents which are, again, quite a bit less common than you'd think.

I live in the southwest of england, at the moment, and actually one of the biggest things here is that the accent I hear most in day-to-day conversation is one that you almost never hear in fiction (British TV being an exception, for obvious reasons).

I guess it's just the most boring of accents, since it's neither representative of any of the regional accents associated mostly with working class people from particular areas (scousers, cockney, Liverpudlian, and so on), nor with 'the queens english' (aka Recieved pronunciation, which tends to be associated mostly with the upper classes.

(I personally know all of one person that speaks with an RP accent, and that's because he went to a private boarding school quite a while ago.)
You realise scouse and Liverpudlian are the same thing, right?

Zay-el

Apr 4, 2011
Not sure if offensive or inaccurate even, but the voice acting in Killing Floor always cracks me up.

"I AM WELDING DIS DOAH!"

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
Yeah no one gets American accents wrong...for the last time Jeff Foxworthy is from Georgia not Texas. I'm a woman and I've never reached a pitch that high.

xchurchx

Nov 2, 2009
Miles000 said:
CrystalShadow said:
I can't say I've heard Australian accents go wrong all that much, because, well, not many people try to fake them. I don't think I've ever seen a film where a person with an Australian accent wasn't actually Australian.
You haven't played Dead Island, have you?

Those are horrible...
Thats coz their not Australian, Their from New Zealand

I just dont like the fact tht us brits are alway either the bady or the dick, just because we can deliver sarcasm effectively does not make us evil ppl

bobajob

Jun 24, 2011
ooo, ooo, been playing deus ex recently, the bit where you go in the nightclub underground in Hong Kong, there are 2 girls who ask you to pay for them to get in the club. So I did. Now; Despite the blonde saying they are BOTH Australian, the other girl had a distinct cockney accent (think Daphne Moon in Frasier), says "fanks fer gettin' me in!".
Worst. Australian. Accent. Ever.

Or anyone in Far Cry 2.

xchurchx

Nov 2, 2009
Daverson said:
Welsh characters, or, more accurately, the lack thereof.

Seriously, can anyone think of a Welsh character that originates in a game or movie from outside the UK - they don't exist! We're fucking drowning in the endless tide of Scottish, English and even Irish stereotypes, but if you said "Wales" to anyone outside the UK, they'd probably think you were talking about the fish (yeah, I know, "Marine Mammal", but they'd think it was a fish, because they're a strawman and therefore dumb) The only one I can think of is Welshie from Futurama (Welshie! Noooooooooooooooooo!), the only other ones TVTropes lists is some X-man and anime I haven't heard of...

Also, Finnish characters who nonsensically have "Swedish" accents. That's just not doing the research. Double not doing the research, actually, because Finnish people sound even less like Swedish people than Swedish people sound like German people!
Theres welshie from Red Dead if that makes you feel any better

Zadok17582

Oct 5, 2011
The feminine "generic English" accent pisses me right off. You know the one, that horrific parody-like posh accent used by American actresses to indicate "I'm English don't you know, what what pip pip" in every SitCom in the history of the world ever (and many other genres too, RomComs are also pretty bad for it). Doesn't even resemble a true "posh" accent either, and now some Americans think not only some but *all* English women actually talk like that. Also ignores, of course, the fact that the British isles have an absurdly high density of distinct accents and dialects - there are parts of Wales where people can identify a person as having grown up in the next *village*, only 3 miles away, because the accent is sufficiently different to distinguish.
(/rant)

As for TF2 - as someone has already pointed out, the accents are very exaggerated - I read somewhere that they are deliberately characaturised, particularly the Sniper who is "fake Australian" and keeps slipping into something more like English. The same source suggested this in particular is a parody of how many Americans confuse those two.

If anyone's sufficiently interested in British accents to try and learn, I recommend finding samples to compare of "Scouse", "Cockney" and "Brummie" (Liverpool, London and Birmingham respectively). I'll admit that outside England I couldn't identify more specific than Scottish/Irish/Welsh, but you could try Glasgow, Cork and Cardiff (see if you can tell which is which).

jprf

May 18, 2011
I'm not a big fan of when Australian actors are cast as supposedly British people. I know most americans cant tell the difference (craploads of people seem to think zaeed from ME2, despite his strong london accent, is an aussie) but everyone else can and it's really bloody jarring.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Daverson said:
(yeah, I know, "Marine Mammal", but they'd think it was a fish, because they're a strawman and therefore dumb)
Heh.

Oh...nobody seems to have mentioned how all vampires, or at least the Romanian ones, have to speak with a Hungarian accent, cause Bela Lugosi used his natural accent way back when, and everyone seems to have thought he was putting it on?

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
pilkman said:
CrystalShadow said:
I'm a bad judge of accents to be honest. Even though I've lived in England, Australia, and the Netherlands, I just don't really know how to judge it.

Though I will note that the most common depictions of Australian accents outside of Australia aren't accents that you actually come across all that often.

Meanwhile, English accents are another matter entirely. What I notice in American films is that they tend to pick accents which are, again, quite a bit less common than you'd think.

I live in the southwest of england, at the moment, and actually one of the biggest things here is that the accent I hear most in day-to-day conversation is one that you almost never hear in fiction (British TV being an exception, for obvious reasons).
I guess it's just the most boring of accents, since it's neither representative of any of the regional accents associated mostly with working class people from particular areas (scousers, cockney, Liverpudlian, and so on), nor with 'the queens english' (aka Recieved pronunciation, which tends to be associated mostly with the upper classes.

(I personally know all of one person that speaks with an RP accent, and that's because he went to a private boarding school quite a while ago.)
You realise scouse and Liverpudlian are the same thing, right?
Sorry. Just listing some of the more well known accents without thinking about it too carefully. That's the kind of thing that happens when you don't actually spend much time anywhere near the areas these accents come from.

I think I was trying to mention Liverpool and Manchester respectively. But a side effect of moving a lot is knowing less than you would expect about ALL the countries I've lived in.

Miles000 said:
CrystalShadow said:
You haven't played Dead Island, have you?

Those are horrible...
No, I haven't played Dead Island at all. Though I'm honestly not surprised they messed up the accents.

I mean, just looking at or hearing any description of Purna makes me cringe. Just what exactly is she supposed to be anyway, because very little about her appearance or biography makes all that much sense.

Given the lack of research that character seems to imply, having horribly done Australian accents to go with it... Well, that figures.

(As a weird point of interest, despite having been born in Australia, and lived there on and off for half my life... I can't do any accent that sounds remotely Australian. - Actually, I don't seem to sound like I'm from any country I've ever lived in. I have no idea how that works, but I blame too much TV. XD)

Srs bzns

Feb 4, 2011
TF2's sniper.

'God save the Queen'? Seriously? "Give 'em a gobful"?
Also I have never heard anyone here in Australia say the word 'county'. It just doesn't exist here.

It's probably more on part of writing, but still.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
DrunkenElfMage said:
I was wondering what were some of the most inaccurate accents/dialects that you have ever heard in a game or a movie? Do they offend you in any way? If they don't, then why not?

I was wondering because I am pretty sure the demoman's Scottish dialect is REALLY off, but I don't find it particularly offensive because all of the characters are intentional cartoonish representation or their respective regions.
its very hard for americans to do Australian accents and NOT sound gear grindingly awful,