To all you Non American English speaking people out there

DaJoW

Aug 17, 2010
Blond Swedish bimbos in movies tend to speak with more of a Russian accent, possibly because the Swedish accent is ridiculous.

1:10 in is a Swedish accent.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Any time somebody tries to speak like a Canadian, I want to punch them. We don't all sound like that! A lot of our speech patterns are local, or influenced by whoever settled the region we were born in. For example, my speech style is technically known as Ottawa Valley Twang. Heavy Irish influence, but also incorporating Polish and Scottish accents as well, depending on what part of the valley you live in. (Wilno is the oldest Polish settlement in the country for example.)

And we don't sound like anybody from the city or from the other provinces.

I mean, it is very obvious to us when someone tries to speak like a Canadian, but we have such diverse accents that some people can't pick up on them. Take Mass Effect for example. MaleShep and FemShep are both voiced by Canadians, but a lot of Americans I know never picked up on it. Listen in particular to words like "route" or "roof" to catch the accent.
Yeah, it really does vary. I don't think there's much of an accent for most of British Columbia, although I haven't talked to someone from outside the Kootenays in quite some time, so I could be wrong. And I haven't had anyone from somewhere else say anything about any accent I may or may not have.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
BlackStar42 said:
Movie?Oh, and Barbara in Batman and Robin, although considering how bad that movie was, we should be grateful it wasn't worse.
She had an accent? I didn't notice any accent. What accent was she supposed to have?

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
Not really no.... This really needs a poll though.
I got to confess the only thing that offended me is the fact 'American English' is now described as a totally different language... it's just English with spelling mistakes, what on earth is the point of it?!

On a more related note - Killing Floor - Best accents ever, and before anyone denies it - I DO know people like that and they sound bloody brilliant.

stvncpr236

Jan 11, 2011
I also agree that the "Canadian accent" is horribly misrepresented in most media. We have such varied accents, that most people don't realize they are speaking to a Canadian most times. It's as if somebody just took the most outlandish Canadian citizens they could find (see the Maritime Provinces for one.) and based their entire Canadian experience on them.

Oh and also, Huzzah for Southern Saskatchewan.

Also as a side note, how many non Canadians can actually pronounce Saskatchewan?

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Honestly, the most common place I've found the "stereo-typical Canadian accent", is in the mid-western US. For the more populated areas of Canada, it doesn't seem to exist at all.

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
DrunkenElfMage said:
I was wondering what were some of the most inaccurate accents/dialects that you have ever heard in a game or a movie? Do they offend you in any way? If they don't, then why not?

I was wondering because I am pretty sure the demoman's Scottish dialect is REALLY off, but I don't find it particularly offensive because all of the characters are intentional cartoonish representation or their respective regions.
well, all team fortress guys have fake accents. its part of the joke.

T8B95

Jul 8, 2010
Saulkar said:
I share this sentiment. While it is not overtly offensive, the fact that it is so overused in foreign media makes it difficult for anybody to disserne what it really sound like if they never really met a Canadian. Almost as if they are afraid of culture shocking Americans by saying we actually do not speak that way. XD

I'm am personally from south central Saskatchewan and accents are almost none existant but something I have come to learn from a few foreign people is that I personally inherit a tiny Irish flavour to my voice. Minus any Irish terminologies or figure of speeches. ^^;

But on the other hand like you said our accents are extremely varied. Even though it is hard to hear it there are distinct differences in the accents of someone from Northern and Southern Saskatchewan that are not present in other provinces.
Hell, there are even different accents in different parts of cities. Go to Toronto--even if you don't count the non-Canadians, Toronto still has a variety of accents among the English speaking population. Let's give this context: I'm from a town ~40 minutes north of Toronto; the accent in Kingston, where I now live, which is only about two hours away from Toronto, is radically different.

Also, the next time some ignorant Yank says to you, "Oh you're from Canada, eh? What're you talking aboot?", you have written permission to punch them in the head. Please. Because all Americans think that that's the funniest joke that they've ever heard, and they use it every time you talk to them. To all Americans; We don't talk like that, it's not funny, now cut it out.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
omega 616 said:
Not a movie but TV series, Angel and Buffy have VERY English accents, like seriously British!

People from Jack the rippers days would have thought there accent was too British. Just look at Wesley Windem Price when he first appears in Buffy ... Good lord, all he needed was a monocle, a top hat, a crumpet in one hand and a cuppa tea in a china cup in the other to be more British!

Then there is one potential slayer who comes along who has another comical British accent from a previous century to Wesley,it's rather absurd!
I'm not getting what your point is here..

This is about accents done poorly, how you you just described Wesley is exactly how that character was supposed to be. You just called it absurd following a rant that more or less sounds like you think they did it exactly right.

Hipsy_Gypsy

Jun 2, 2011
If you can pull off a broad Northern Irish accent very well, then you could do just about anything. Mind you, the majority of the time it just sounds like an ecstatic drunken slur. Yeah, lol.

Rob Brydon tried to do an impersonation of it, "Where oor oor bags?" which was absolutely Godawful. For one thing, most Northern Irish folks would be far too lazy to say "oor" twice! It'd be more like, "Whurruhr begs?". My accent's considered "posh" in most places here, apparently.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Jadak said:
omega 616 said:
Not a movie but TV series, Angel and Buffy have VERY English accents, like seriously British!

People from Jack the rippers days would have thought there accent was too British. Just look at Wesley Windem Price when he first appears in Buffy ... Good lord, all he needed was a monocle, a top hat, a crumpet in one hand and a cuppa tea in a china cup in the other to be more British!

Then there is one potential slayer who comes along who has another comical British accent from a previous century to Wesley,it's rather absurd!
I'm not getting what your point is here..

This is about accents done poorly, how you you just described Wesley is exactly how that character was supposed to be. You just called it absurd following a rant that more or less sounds like you think they did it exactly right.
I honestly don't get what you just typed there.

Wes and the potential slayer sounded like they where from a time period long since past, they where not meant to sound like that.

There are a multitude of English accents, it is like saying they have an American accent, you know that sounds stupid. American accent could be from a slack jawed southerner (hey y'all) to a Cali girl (like ohmygawd!).

What Wes and the slayer had was so stereotypical English, it is quite offensive. So while they where meant to be English, they had a bad accent from 90 years ago.

Desaari

Feb 24, 2009
This has a good mix:

They aren't exactly offensive, more like hilarious, but I tend to find faked English accents to be particularly abhorrent, eg:

2:54 if it's not loading.

Idsertian

Legacy
Apr 8, 2011
CrystalShadow said:
The southwest? Be you in the west country my lad? Where we all own a tra'er and speaks pro'er English like what I does? Down as far as Cornwall are we? Or a bit further north? Either way, you'd best be making sure you're on high ground come summer, or the bloody Severn'll have you flooded out.

God I love the west country. Feel most at home there so I do. :D

OT: Can't really say, but then, I'm a terrible judge of accents, often mis-interpreting them.

Idsertian

Legacy
Apr 8, 2011
This post because I'm pretty sure my post just fell victim of the "lets hide the post until the next person replies" gremlin.

EDIT: Yep, I was right.

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
I want to add an honourable mention to Scoot in Hydrophobia (before they "fixed" it anyway, I haven't heard it since) His scottish twang was hilarious, then insulting then hilarious again. All in the space of 4 hours.