To all you tech savvy folks: I need help troubleshooting my graphics card/game graphics.

Mar 2, 2011
For some strange reason, in-game frame rates are very hit and miss. Here are the most recent examples:

1) I've been playing League of Legends comfortably at upper-mid detail for about a year, but after a couple of months of not playing it, I come back to find that it struggles to get above 10 FPS, while I was used to 30-50 (frame rate drops if a lot is happening on screen). In this case I could turn down the detail to the lowest available and I got the game to a comfortable 30 FPS, but still not as good as it was.

2) I recently downloaded Portal 2 (from Steam, as are the rest of my games), having played it though in three sittings, the first with a comfortable frame rate (I'd guess 40-50 FPS), the second it slowed to <20 FPS, and the third back nice smooth frame rate. Since then, I wanted to play an achievement run though, but since the frame rate has been so low I haven't really been able to. I have the same issue with Bastion.

3) I've had TF2 for a while, but VERY occasionally when I run the game it won't exceed 25 FPS and a reboot doesn't tend to fix the problem, just tends to fix itself.

4) This is the main reason I made the thread: just bought and downloaded Deus Ex:Human Revolution and it's practically unplayable. I've tried lowering all the settings to the bare minimum, but I can't improve the frame rate at all. I know I should be able to run it nicely (my specifications generally match the recommended specs for the game).

Oh, and a couple of in game textures have suddenly become really low resolution, which is weird because some textures are fine (this goes for basically all my games, particularly Source based).

Here's a brief overview of my laptop's specs.

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
System Model: HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC (not sure which SKU, I bought it last year if that helps)
System Type: x64-based PC
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz, 2267 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory: 3.80 GB
Total Virtual Memory: 7.60 GB
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 (with 1GB DDR3 memory)

It's not fantastic, but it shouldn't have this problem with running these games.

BEFORE YOU POST

Yes, I have Googled for a solution, checked my drivers are up to date, fiddled with the Catalyst Control Centre, made ABSOLUTELY SURE that I'm using the high performance graphics while my laptop is plugged into a power source, checked DirectX diagnostics and generally troubleshot the hell out of the problem, and my computer keeps telling me there is nothing wrong.

[HEADING=1]Any help would be greatly appreciated![/HEADING]

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Sounds like an overheating issue.

Oh, on 'matching specs', those recommended specs are for desktop components not Mobility rated components, which aren't as powerful.

Mar 2, 2011
RhombusHatesYou said:
I was afraid so D: Any crude ways I can overcome it (like getting lots of ice packs :D)?

But I should be able to run up to DirectX 11. Otherwise I guess that just means I need to buy a proper desktop for gaming (which is shit, I don't have that much expendable cash).

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
DeadlyBritishDisease said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
I was afraid so D: Any crude ways I can overcome it (like getting lots of ice packs :D)?
Best solution is a cooling pad... you know em? Laptop resting pad with built in fans to force more air into your lappy's guts. Even a top quality one (assuming it's not a laptop dock) shouldn't set you back more than 25 dollarydoos.

But I should be able to run up to DirectX 11.
Well you almost certainly can... but that doesn't really mean much. What counts are the resources available to throw at processing everything... and those resources get lower when shit overheats.

Vonnis

Feb 18, 2011
In addition to the aforementioned cooling pad, get yourself a can of compressed air and clean out your laptop. The overheating might just be due to dust building up over time.

Also download GPU-Z or something similar and monitor the clock speed and temperatures of your graphics card while gaming in a window so you can be sure the problem is caused by overheating/downclocking.