To Brink or Not to Brink (Recommend me a 360 game from 2011)

Watchmacallit

Jan 7, 2010
Brink is really good. I love it. But don't get it on 360, get it on the PC. It is definitely a PC game in my opinion.

Timmehexas

Aug 15, 2010
I actually like the main idea behind Brink and the gameplay (what I got to play of it anyway) but I've only been playing for an hour and the first game I played was so laggy I could barely move and its crashed twice while trying to join two others, since I don't have this problem with any other game I play... I r sad.

But anyway overall the game seems good I just need to find out why it hates me...

Peter Andersen

Nov 15, 2010
From the 1 - 2 hours I've played so far, I'll just give the cons.

(MAJOR)

- Bots seem to be dimwitted at times.
- Not many strategic elevated positions to jump to as a light body type (Brink videos made it seem like there were). You're mainly just fast on the ground like TF2 scout with the ability to jump off walls.
- Non-existant interactive tutorial. All ya get is an optional video to watch at the start which dumps everything on you in one go and a help guide accessed through the main menu.
- Crashed twice.
- Played online with only one other person and the icon displaying my connection was green, yet the game was still a bit stuttery. I'd hate to see a full match.
- The classes are very similar to TF2. Medics heal, engineers construct sentry guns, and operatives (TF2 spy) can disguise. The Brink soldier just feels like a generic fighter with no significant game changing abilities. With only 3 classes that play slightly differently, it doesn't come near TF2's feeling of class variety and just feels subpar.

(MINOR)

- Screen tears on the cinematic scenes.
- Gun sounds aren't very impressive.
- Grenades explode with a very small explosion effect which make them feel pathetic.
- The cinematic cutscenes before each mission are a waste because they don't add any depth to the story or fictional world and characters don't reveal much about themselves at all. It's usually just a short conversation about the mission you're about to play. It's more of a novelty and you probably won't watch it more than once. The skip button will then be your friend.

Peter Andersen

Nov 15, 2010
Considering I listed only the cons, it may seem like I hate the game, but I don't. The game isn't bad, it just doesn't stand out of the crowd enough to warrant the price. A game has to have a uniqueness, an outstanding quality to make an impact in the current market. Brink just feels like a mish mash of ideas borrowed from others games and each feature just feels subpar. I'd say it's only unique qualities are its quite varied character customization (uncommon for FPS, usually only the gun is customizable) and stylized visuals. Parkour has already been done supremely well in Mirror's Edge and classes reign supreme in Team Fortress 2.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
warcraft4life said:
The Wykydtron said:
SELF SNIP!

Then again asking the XBL community to work together is like having a team of all drunk guys... Half of them will go lie down in a corner and ignore you and the other half will start proclaiming their awesomeness before being sick on the floor...
So there's no point buying it if I sit in party chat because I can't STAND that inbredness of game chat..?

Geh ;-; Guess I could pick it up on my PC ;-;
If you've got friends who are buying it with you, you're alright to go for the 360 that's my plan at least (party chat ftw!)

Then again (again) game chat with friends can turn it from a big gloopy mess of insults and yeahhh boi's into a a big gloopy mess you can kinda enjoy XD

Otherwise yeah, if BFBC2 is anything to go by the majority of XBL seems to have only a very basic grasp of teamwork. I'm hoping the masses will surprise me and pull through for the team though...