To Brink or Not to Brink (Recommend me a 360 game from 2011)

Legendairy314

Aug 26, 2010
Well my birthday's coming up and being a bit low on cash I was hoping for a game or two as gifts (or getting money to buy a game or two) but I'm having difficulty deciding if Brink is worth the time and effort of asking for/buying. I realize that reviews should not affect a person's opinion but with the general public so broken up about it I really can't decide. It seems it has a decent following but I'm not sure if, beyond the customization, it's worth it.

I can't rent it in my area (for some odd reason) so it's either a buy or pass at this point. I'm all for a nearly entirely online game but if that game is inherently broken then I really don't see the point in owning it.

I'd like some feedback from people that have played the game on whether they feel like the game is worth the money or if there is more worthwhile products out there. Only game I've gotten in a while is Portal 2 so anything other than that that was released this year would also be good as a recommendation if Brink isn't to your liking.

EDIT: 360 is the system I'm mainly playing on.

EDIT 2: I've pretty much decided not to try and get it. Any game recommendations (outside of RTS, Sports, or Racing) for the 360 that came out this year would still be greatly appreciated.

EDIT 3: This used to be in the advice forum but I guess it was a little too borderline between the two so it was moved. Fine with me though. I opened it up a little more for better discussion value.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Brink is basically 'grown up' team fortress, played against the computer for the most part. It's objective based combat with custom weapons and Mirror's Edge like moving dynamics.

It's neat, and if you can't think of anything else you'd like, there are worse games. But honestly, I regret preordering it. It's just way too limited of a game for it's price range.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Ok, you've never mentioned a system. What the above said really annoys the hell out of me, because the only real similarity to TF2 is that there are classes. Brink is objective based, meaning you have to work as a team to take objectives (guard doors, play bombs, carry packages, hack stuff), with multiple ones per level. TF2 is about as objective based as Call of Duty.

Why I said you never mentioned a system, if it is for PC, I have a solution. Look up Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (free game) or Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars (free demo on Steam). A better way to describe Brink than "TF2 + Mirror's Edge" is Enemy Territory 3 (plus all 3 were made by Splash Damage). Try those, if you like the style of game play, then I'd say get Brink. If not, save your money.

Even with a semi-decent PC, you might be able to run W:ET. It is pretty old...

migo

Jun 27, 2010
The reason ET3 isn't an apt descriptor is free running is a pretty significant part of Brink. It has to be Mirror's Edge + Something.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Im not getting it. I was one of the "WTF no girls!?" people, and was already unsure even before that. I do not let reviews hinder me getting games I know I want, but the bad reviews is just a straw too many against the game that makes me say no. Besides, I need to save my money for other games.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I'm getting it, it has free running and objective based gameplay (win combo)

It's like BFBC2... Except there's no option to sit 100000 miles away from the objectives sniping like a complete whore.

Then again asking the XBL community to work together is like having a team of all drunk guys... Half of them will go lie down in a corner and ignore you and the other half will start proclaiming their awesomeness before being sick on the floor...

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
So you would say you're...on the "brink" of getting it?

I'm sorry, I just HAD to say it.

I haven't played the game, so I can't really recommend the game one way or another. I'd try talking to people you know who have the game, like friends or co-workers. If you know what they like, there's a good chance you'll be able to figure out if it's the right type of game for you.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
i bought it, played it. enjoyed it.
but its not enough content for the price.

Aphex Demon

Aug 23, 2010
I'm in exactly the same position as the OP.

I could buy it right now, I just don't fucking know :(

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Neverhoodian said:
So you would say you're...on the "brink" of getting it?

I'm sorry, I just HAD to say it.

I haven't played the game, so I can't really recommend the game one way or another. I'd try talking to people you know who have the game, like friends or co-workers. If you know what they like, there's a good chance you'll be able to figure out if it's the right type of game for you.
Wow. You actually beat HankMan to a pun, Bravo good sir! :D

OT: Does it come with a demo? If not, then I'd just wait untill the price drops.

What kind of games do you usaully play?

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Aaand Shakespeare continues to Spin in his grave.....(in reference to the title, of course)

OT: If you don't play online MP, then there is very little reason to get this game, as far as I can tell. The so called "Single Player" campaign is just MP with Bots.....which is fucking retarded. WHY the Fuck did they find the need to even ADD that?!

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
I brink that I'm going to wait until it's a bit cheaper. Of course, I hope it lasts and it's not a "brink and you'll miss it" kind of community.

The Cheshire

May 10, 2011
Legendairy314 said:
I realize that reviews should not affect a person's opinion
Well, I let reviews affect my opinion, after all, they played the game and I have not, so maybe if it says it's a shitty game with none of the content promised, well, I may be inclined to believe it. Then games with bad reviews like Alpha Protocol have been quite enjoyable in my opinion, but it's the exception.

As for Brink, it's a multiplayer game with no single player campaign. Why anyone would pay full price for the less interesting part of a shooter game is a mystery to me. I do like the cartoonish aesthetics though, but that's about it. In my opinion.

TornadoFive

Mar 9, 2011
I'm in the same postion. Brink looks quite interesting with the free-running, objectives and customisation, but I've never been a fan of FPS's OR multiplayer. And from what I've heard, Brink is VERY multi-player focused.

If I knew a couple of people who were getting it, I'd probably go for it, but as it stands I'm right on the fence.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
There are much better games out there, especially if you're on a budget. Don't waste your money.

Legendairy314

Aug 26, 2010
Catchy Slogan said:
Neverhoodian said:
Wow. You actually beat HankMan to a pun, Bravo good sir! :D

OT: Does it come with a demo? If not, then I'd just wait untill the price drops.

What kind of games do you usaully play?
I play all sorts but mainly stay away from the Sports, Racing, and RTS genres.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Legendairy314 said:
*snip*
I play all sorts but mainly stay away from the Sports, Racing, and RTS genres.
Pretty much the same for me aswell.

I've heard Section 8: Prejudice is pretty good, and I personally loved Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, so I'd recommend that if you haven't played it yet.

The only other ones I've played this year would be Deadspace 2 and Dragon Age 2, and they've been a liitle hit and miss with the fans.

Maybe you could get a couple of games that you never got around to playing last year instead of only 1 new one? They're sure to be cheaper, I'm sure I've seen Bioshock 2 going for about £5, makes me want to get it again. :p