To Catch an iPhone Thief

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
To Catch an iPhone Thief

What do you do when someone steals your iPhone? You track them down at all costs.

We've seen some very interesting stories lately of this story [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97245-Theft-Thwarted-by-PlayStation-Eye-PSP-Connection] might take the cake in terms of sheer effort.

When an unsuspecting traveler flew into Los Angeles from Cabo San Lucas, he didn't expect to suddenly find his iPhone 3Gs - you know, the Apple device that doesn't sound like a feminine product - missing from his pocket. Thanks to the phone's GPS, though, he was able to track it down to a location, figuring that it had fallen into his seatmate's open bag.

But nope. Having soon realized that the phone had been stolen and would likely soon be jailbroken and sold on a site like eBay, our hero stepped into action. The phone was a homing device, after all, and all the myriad of applications and sites on the Web designed to interface with the iPhone - like Apple's Mobile Me [http://www.apple.com/mobileme/] - aided the internet in helping to keep track of the phone and the thief.

Law enforcement couldn't do anything, said the writer, which left only one option: Time to use the internet and Google to track this motherf*cker down. "By stealing my phone, 'Pinche' gave me the moral greenlight to stalk the sh*t out of him and take away any sense of privacy he has for the rest of his life ... my only option was to keep f*cking with this guy until he returns my iPhone."

"I wanted him to know, I know where he is, I know who his family members are, I know where he lives, I know who his roommates are, I know who his roommates cousins are, I know what his sister drives, I know where he eats, I know his name, I know his age, his mothers age... anything and everything to prove to this Pinche that he is holding Satan's cell phone."

Like I said - talk about sheer effort made in getting your phone back.

Does the story have a happy ending? Well, you'll have to read the whole thing [http://iphonetheif.blogspot.com/2010/01/iphone-theif-bust.html] to find out, but it is one hell of an epic story of vengeance, obsession, and why you should really think before you steal a smartphone with a homing device inside of it.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
This sounds interesting... but you don't tell us the ending D:
Now I'll have to wade through whatever is on the other end of that link to find out...
Well, at least it will be interesting.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
That's awesome.

Also kind of creepy how far some people are willing to go over a friggin' phone, but still awesome.

Rusman

Aug 12, 2008
The fact that he like to find out information on random people through Google scares me a little bit. Cool story though.

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
I just read the full article. I am now paranoid about my information security and in awe of the awesomeness of this Sam fellow who wrote the article. I lolled while reading this, it's frigging hilarious. Bet that thief crapped himself when the author called. Best link this site had ever given.

Smudge91

Jul 30, 2009
All i can think of is that he must have really loved his phone or he is slightly obssessive. But hey kudos to him anywho.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
hURR dURR dERP said:
That's awesome.

Also kind of creepy how far some people are willing to go over a friggin' phone, but still awesome.
It seems more a matter of principle.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Done some similar things in the past, but not so extreme, and not over a phone.

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
Just went through the whole thing. I'd take my hat off to him, if I had one. Instead, I salute him for getting one over on a stupid thief.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Domg new age batman, you took his Iphone away from him...you will pay.

He is vengeance, he is the night, he is...BATMAN!

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
I wanna be just like this guy when I'm older

THAT is the way you do it!

POST-READING

That was epic

Though it terrifies me that all he spent was $10 on a private search thing, and not much else, and he managed to find ALL that information

I should be afraid and paranoid, but I feel...empowered...and malicious...

Trotgar

Sep 13, 2009
Like Hubilub said, this guy should be given a (space) cookie.

I read the story and it's so awesome.