To make friends happy, or to buy myself a kickass-looking game

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
I absolutely hate your for linking me to that Dark Souls board game. I was hoping to look at it and go "well sure you get cool models but the gameplay is crap" but it actually look really interesting. I already have loads of tabletops that I can never play because nobody else is interested, I don't need another.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Chairman Miaow said:
I absolutely hate your for linking me to that Dark Souls board game. I was hoping to look at it and go "well sure you get cool models but the gameplay is crap" but it actually look really interesting. I already have loads of tabletops that I can never play because nobody else is interested, I don't need another.
sorry :-/

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
Also, I tend to get a bit punchy while sleeping. One can imagine how well that goes over.
Sleep is a strange thing. I once had a bath, another time ate around a kilo of chocolate, another time chased my sister around, told my girlfriend she was fat, told my mum to fuck off.

The chocolate was the worst. I felt so sick in the morning, had all the calories with none of the fun and rolled over onto the leftovers of the bar melting it all over my body.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Okay guys, I've thought about it, and I'm considering a compromise. Maybe I can get the board game during the kickstarter campaign, then save for the gifts afterwards. I'll need to think about it for a little while though.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Baffle said:
Why not buy the board game between the three of you (but it's really yours and stays at your house)?
To be perfectly blunt, I'm not sure if one of them has any interest in board games, and the other plain doesn't like Dark Souls.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Err... well, it's a Kickstarter. It's like a pre-order: you won't have the game in your hands until it's finished (by April 2017). I'm sure it will be available to general public at that point. If you find more enjoyable to make your friends happy than to pre-order, I'd suggest the former.

JohnZ117

A blind man before the Elephant
Jun 19, 2012
First of all, spend a lot on a person, that's not family, and they are going to think you want a return on the investment, especially in the situation you're describing. Those are tricky waters you are proposing paddling down. Second, if you are set on investing in pleasure (of a platonic sort) then I propose going the Epicurean [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epicureanism] route. Figure out which investment would more likely net the most amount of pleasure to all concerned over the long-term.

Apr 24, 2008
Neither? Or I suppose the board game if you're desperate to part with money.

I appreciate that you're a pleasant chap and your intentions are good, but to me it's a pretty weird idea, and I don't think I'd be comfortable just randomly receiving nice gifts like that. You can find ways to be generous of spirit without throwing money around. I'd rather do favours and give time. If I'm plomping for a gift of sorts out of the blue it will most likely be for a shared experience... Tickets to a thing that we both like, that kind of thing.

I definitely wouldn't blow 300 bucks on some (let's be honest) desirable tat for them.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
You know, buying random gifts for anyone out of holiday and you're not in a relationship with them is very questionable. They may logically suspect that you want to get with them, or in the ex's case, get back with them, even if that's not your intention. So I wouldn't do it. Buy something for your family instead. When's the last time you talked to your mom? (Being serious about that last part.) Because Mother's Day is coming up.

Nemmerle

Mar 11, 2016
-sigh- I wouldn't try to buy your friends. It will make them happy for a short while, but in the long run one doesn't hold much affection for their wallet.

In a few months they'll be back to their normal level of happy - if it lasts that long - and you won't have your lovely money. Save it, buy something you really want or need. Or just have three hundred in your pocket for a rainy day.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Nemmerle said:
-sigh- I wouldn't try to buy your friends. It will make them happy for a short while, but in the long run one doesn't hold much affection for their wallet.

In a few months they'll be back to their normal level of happy - if it lasts that long - and you won't have your lovely money. Save it, buy something you really want or need. Or just have three hundred in your pocket for a rainy day.
It wasn't meant to buy their affections, I've known both of them for whiles now (one for a year or so, the other since high school). I wanted to make them happy, and my selfish desires conflicted with that.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
DarklordKyo said:
AccursedTheory said:
I've been limiting my food intake all day in order to save for those each day, so I'm wondering if I should continue as is, or just decide to stop.
It's your life and all, but this seems unhealthy.

Even if there was some reward at the end of the tunnel (and maybe seeing them happy WILL make you so happy it was worth the sacrifice), it seems a little extra-altruistic.

I'm not saying "OMG GET HELP" or any knee-jerk reaction, but...Maybe you should do something nice for yourself also, after following through with your original plan.

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
Just my two cents just save it or invest it or something, most things on kickstarter sound far better then they turn out to be, then you have to think about how many times you can play it before getting bored and all that stuff, and no offense but it seems silly or even a little odd to get stuff for 2 people who don't expect it especially since one you admit you have no chance with which sounds a little self defeating, and your ex.

Why not take the money and use some of it to take the first girl out if that's possible, who knows something might happen.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
If it is not their birthdays, then buy what you want for yourself. Buying expensive gifts for just friends (not family members, or lover/spouse, or your kid) not only can create a precedent, when your other friends will expect the same kind of gifts (price wise), but you may also accidentally buy something they already own.

Just spoil yourself.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
well friends are pretty much going to screw you over at some point and if they are not expecting it they wont miss it, but kickstarters are also not a very good thing to get involved in especially if you cant afford to just throw that money away. the mandate was something i was super hyped about but now its months behind scheduled and has little to say for itself

on balance i would go with giving the gifts out since firstly it was the original plan for the funds and secondly they will likely be more useful in the long term in life its not what you know its who

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
This is just me, but I wouldn't buy gifts like that for someone until they were heavily discounted. The only time I'll gift someone a game is if it's a special occasion or if it is something we can, and will play together. I bought one of my friends Borderlands 2 and we played it together for about the next straight week.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
If you told your friends, then your choice is between "be a massive selfish piece of shit" or "don't be a massive selfish piece of shit".

If you haven't, your choice is "enjoy the fruits of your work for yourself" or "Gift your friends some nice things". The important thing is to understand why you're giving out these gifts, but that's with yourself.

It's also important to understand the quality of your friends. Are they the kind of people that would do these things for you? I mean, I'm not saying for you to be self serving in your choice of friends, but I personally save gifts like those for friends that at least offer me coffe sometimes if they have the monetary capability just cuz they felt like it, just like I do sometimes.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Of course, a boardgame is something you can make them happy with as well. That's the beauty of boardgames. So get that instead of something only they can use and invite them over for a boardgame night. Well maybe not invite the ex and the girl you like over at the same time.