To reduce carjackings Illinois state representative wants to ban GTA and other violent games

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

With carjackings rising, Rep. Marcus Evans wants to prohibit the sale of violent video games promoting criminal activity
Rep. Marcus Evans Jr. wants to amend a 2012 law preventing some video games from being sold to minors. Friday, he filed HB3531, which would amend that law to ban the sale to anyone of video games depicting “psychological harm,” including “motor vehicle theft with a driver or passenger present.”
“The bill would prohibit the sale of some of these games that promote the activities that we’re suffering from in our communities.” Evans said.
Besides addressing carjacking, the bill also changes the definition of a “violent video game” to one in which players “control a character within the video game that is encouraged to perpetuate human-on-human violence in which the player kills or otherwise causes serious physical or psychological harm to another human or an animal.”

CPD officers responded to 218 carjackings in January, police said. Walker believes there is bipartisan support in Springfield to ban sales of the game in Illinois.
Olympia Fields has a “significant population of women and seniors,” who have been targeted in recent carjackings, according to Safe Pump.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
You get when someone is making a pointless move to generate attention for something else, right?

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Well welcome to their PR approach to it and the result which is being called on the bullshit,
Yes well done, you did the thing they want, you shared the story and spread the actual message (carjacking spree with actions taken by this guy). You showed them! *thumbs up*

Calling bullshit on outrage bait and sharing the link isn't doing what you think it's doing.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Yes well done, you did the thing they want, you shared the story and spread the actual message (carjacking spree with actions taken by this guy). You showed them! *thumbs up*

Calling bullshit on outrage bait and sharing the link isn't doing what you think it's doing.
It’s THE reason why people make outrage content... to get attention.

Edit: to be fair to Dwarvenhobble, we just had the fake TikTok snow thing which is clearly also outrage content

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
It’s THE reason why people make outrage content... to get attention.

Edit: to be fair to Dwarvenhobble, we just had the fake TikTok snow thing which is clearly also outrage content
I know that, you know that.. Dwarven... does not seem to know that.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

yes rather stupid actions of just trying to distract in part and pass some of the blame onto video games just to distract from actual issues (or maybe he's a true believer in the effect of media but we can't truly know that)

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
and yet the representative ends up looking like a moron either way. He got attention to his project but only by making himself into a fool. Was that really a win?
It's not the representative's project. There are two people featured in the article. This is why we keep questioning your reading abilities.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
It's not the representative's project. There are two people featured in the article. This is why we keep questioning your reading abilities.
It is so far as he's the one trying to legally enact it. If he didn't agree why would he bother again?

Weird how upset you are at people pointing out this bit of nonsense going on.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
It is so far as he's the one trying to legally enact it. If he didn't agree why would he bother again?

I’m offended when Alabama tried to make it so legislature got to determine the Senators they sent to Congress, rather than the voters. That sounds like the opposite of democracy. I also didn’t give it much airtime because they specifically are doing it to outrage people and then they can claim they are being bullied. It’s an automatic win for them. It’s the exact reason why they are blaming power outages on wind farms. People got outraged at that lie and the liar can claim they are being bullied. Ted Cruz said he thought everyone was being mean to the the GOP for saying it was the wind turbines fault

It’s how Trump did most of his tweets. Deliberately trying to outrage people to make them look like the ‘bad guy’. It’s a stupid game that people are playing and it’s deliberately set up so you always lose.

We’re just used to it. If you want to have at it, by all means go ahead. It’s probably going to help their cause, not yours

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I’m offended when Alabama tried to make it so legislature got to determine the Senators they sent to Congress, rather than the voters. That sounds like the opposite of democracy. I also didn’t give it much airtime because they specifically are doing it to outrage people and then they can claim they are being bullied. It’s an automatic win for them. It’s the exact reason why they are blaming power outages on wind farms. People got outraged at that lie and the liar can claim they are being bullied. Ted Cruz said he thought everyone was being mean to the the GOP for saying it was the wind turbines fault

It’s how Trump did most of his tweets. Deliberately trying to outrage people to make them look like the ‘bad guy’. It’s a stupid game that people are playing and it’s deliberately set up so you always lose.

We’re just used to it. If you want to have at it, by all means go ahead. It’s probably going to help their cause, not yours
Well that kind of play for sympathy doesn't tend to work too well on me or make me feel like not calling BS out.

You call it out and they cry about being victim
or
You leave it be and people who may not know better don't get exposed to contradicting views or information so those views get to proliferate unopposed.

Neither is a win and so you don't play that game. I can say people shouldn't sent threads etc while still calling some-one a fool, it's the same bullshit that some idiots tried in the Atheism community when they instigated a "No fake jewellery" clause at conventions and when people called it out they framed it as them opposing all the rules and being pro rape (yes really)

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Neither is a win
That's how the game is set up.

Just wanted to add that it actually probably doesn't matter what you do. This clown in Illinois is probably already claiming victimhood. You don't need to do anything.

You've already lost. That's how the system works.

I doubt my plan of not broadcasting bad ideas is going to work either. They're probably already claiming I criticized them even though I said nothing. It's a self contained system that just pretends what people say so they can score political points. I'm not needed, except as a scapegoat

Good luck and be clear I think Evans is speaking utter nonsense

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009

Again, reading comprehension. The project (the real focus of the article) is run by a private citizen. One who is playing games by suggesting a ban to the representative, so he can piggyback off the publicity.

The representative is just a schmuck who knows this ticks box A - him being seen attempting to fix a problem (carjacking) and box B - conservative moral outrage.

Stop trying to play this game where anyone who talks back at you is upset/offended/etc. If anything I'm exasperated that once again we're discussing a huge nothing because it matches your outrage politics. During which any back and forth will see you willingly misrepresent it, or suck at basic reading comprehension.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Again, reading comprehension. The project (the real focus of the article) is run by a private citizen. One who is playing games by suggesting a ban to the representative, so he can piggyback off the publicity.

The representative is just a schmuck who knows this ticks box A - him being seen attempting to fix a problem (carjacking) and box B - conservative moral outrage.

Stop trying to play this game where anyone who talks back at you is upset/offended/etc. If anything I'm exasperated that once again we're discussing a huge nothing because it matches your outrage politics. During which any back and forth will see you willingly misrepresent it, or suck at basic reading comprehension.
B - Conservative moral outrage.

Remember a time when it was the conservatives who wanted to ban games and the democrats pushing back against it? What a time eh shame it seems long gone.

A for game? It's not a game considering how again and again you keep charging into topics often with passive aggressive replies from the onset.

Also again upset at me for posting this because oddly I've tried to be somewhat consistent in my positions. This just seems like you're upset because you feel "Your side" being called out.

Should it matter if it's a Democrat or a conservative doing this?

I mean for fucks sakes people are pissed off Ted Cruz took a flight and wasn't doing some big PR thing that serves no real purpose during the Texas troubles.

Going after an artform and expression in it shouldn't be seen as a nothing move when it worryingly speaks to a present current in politics suggesting that is ok or on their side.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
This takes me back...

If there's one good thing about R* being the nearly billion dollar gaming hegemon that it is, it's GTA taking it periodically for the team as the Bad Boy of video games. You know, instead of those much more violent, but much less recognizable games out there.

Still, going from "THIS GAME WILL TURN YOUR CHILD INTO A MASS MURDERING PSYCHO!!!" to "this game will make you want to steal a car" feels like a downgrade.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Sigh.

It's a game because it's not real. No one involved in this thinks they're going to change anything. It's a publicity stunt to promote the actions of that security CEO. I'd be prepared to bet that he pursued the journalist to publish this story.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Still, going from "THIS GAME WILL TURN YOUR CHILD INTO A MASS MURDERING PSYCHO!!!" to "this game will make you want to steal a car" feels like a downgrade.
Well, at least they've learnt to temper their expectations.