To those who prefer Japanese voices...

the_green_dragon

Nov 18, 2009
I think if the English dub is really bad then go japanese, but I've found that the anime community is so huge that the companies are actually paying for decent voice acting in english.

I dislike subtitles because if I'm busy reading I miss the action.

MissBMoon

Feb 1, 2012
Yeah, in here that happens too Dreiko -_-' but WHY dub Naruto? Why Air Gear? They are for kids that at least knows how to read, right? They shouldn't be watched by younger than that, but they (the industry that dubs them) doesn't get it. In here they cut the sex scene from Dragon Ball (since the show here was for kids), and many others are found like this... but for example Digimon, Pokemon were for kids, but Air Gear? WTH is wrong with their heads?

Maybe it's us that are so accustomed to read fast and actually giving the right importance for reading that we accept it better.

Idk how someone was saying posts before that FMA/FMAB was badly done in japanese... Are they out of their minds? I could grasp every single feeling I had while reading the manga, and I knew they had to use those voices because I imagine what type of voice they will be using while reading, and they were PERFECT! (Do you imagine the voices too while reading Dreiko?)

To the one that said that his asian friends/girlfriends didn't liked japanese dubs is most likely because of the exaggeration they put in voice acting. It happens the same if you go to a theatre performance, they put a lot more of expression in their voices than in movies for example.

MissBMoon

Feb 1, 2012
Anoni Mus said:
Original, always. End of discussion.

Here in portugal everything is subbed (except cartoons for kids), so we are used to subtitles, so I always pick subs.

I fucking hate when I catch Spanish TV an see everything dubbed, a few months ago I saw BBT dubbed, it was horrible.

Some animes have good Eng dub, like FullMetal Alchemist, but I still pick Japanese over English.
Most are still watchable in Spanish, do you want to compare Portuguese dubs when we were kids with the Spanish ones? Spanish were better even If you don't like the language :p

Btw, the BBT you are talking about is the Bing Bang Theory or an anime?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
For games I prefer English, for anime I don't really care as long as the voice actors do a good job, for live action I always prefer subtitles. I loathe dubbing in live action movies. Even if it's French or Italian or Russian give me that language. I hate seeing the mouths flap while they say a one word sentence that doesn't require those mouth movements! Please, let me never have to live through that!

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
this may be something that is not as clear for Americans but i prefer EVERYTHING in the original language and(unless it's English or German) with subs. Because there is no way people will put as much effort in a dub as they did into the original. In a lot of cases the language is an important part of the story told, like in the girl with the dragon tattoo, it's just stupid that everyone in Sweden speaks English.

imagremlin

Nov 19, 2007
I'm partial to Japanese voices. I find those female voices sexy.

Like others have said, I can't tell if the voice actors are bad.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
MissBMoon said:
Yeah, in here that happens too Dreiko -_-' but WHY dub Naruto? Why Air Gear? They are for kids that at least knows how to read, right? They shouldn't be watched by younger than that, but they (the industry that dubs them) doesn't get it. In here they cut the sex scene from Dragon Ball (since the show here was for kids), and many others are found like this... but for example Digimon, Pokemon were for kids, but Air Gear? WTH is wrong with their heads?

Maybe it's us that are so accustomed to read fast and actually giving the right importance for reading that we accept it better.

Idk how someone was saying posts before that FMA/FMAB was badly done in japanese... Are they out of their minds? I could grasp every single feeling I had while reading the manga, and I knew they had to use those voices because I imagine what type of voice they will be using while reading, and they were PERFECT! (Do you imagine the voices too while reading Dreiko?)

To the one that said that his asian friends/girlfriends didn't liked japanese dubs is most likely because of the exaggeration they put in voice acting. It happens the same if you go to a theatre performance, they put a lot more of expression in their voices than in movies for example.

The president of a dubbing company once said "Kids can't read" when asked about dubbing. That's pretty much the logic behind dubs. They treat fans like the lowest common denominator.

Oh and in Greece they even showed all of the sexy scenes lol, even the one where Krillin pulls Bulma's top down to get Roshi's blood on the invisible guy :D.

As for manga, I read it in Japanese now and the emotion is indeed the same as when you have the subtitles on and you watch the anime. I kind of imagine the voices but I'm trying to simply understand the way with which they say it and how they feel about it before actually imagining the sound of it.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I don't speak Japanese. So even if the voice acting is bad... I still understand what the character is saying. If its not in English then its just a bunch of noise. It might be more pretty noise, but its still noise. As for subtitles, I have an issue with them because in a game if I'm reading a subtitles, I can't see whats happening because my eyes are somewhere besides the characters. It distracts me.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
I prefer Japanese voices for most Japanese games because Japanese acting goes better with Japanese writing. It's the same reason I don't like Japanese dubs of English movies nearly as much; a lot of character gets lost not only in the translation process but due to acting techniques intended to accompany a totally different approach to writing dialog. It helps that I speak and read Japanese near-fluently at this point.

mithical

Dec 29, 2011
I prefer Japanese voices with English subtitles, especially if there is lip syncing involved. Japanese characters say more with less text than English characters, but when it comes to speaking it is English that says more with fewer syllables. When lip syncing, the writers and translators need to find a way to fill up the extra syllables and this is incredibly hard. Immersion is ruined for me when this is not done smoothly, and it almost never is.

Secondly, there are certain Japanese-isms that just don't translate well into English. I can't think of many examples off the top of my head but 'even if you say that,' comes to mind. In English we just say "but," and we know the speaker is going to contradict another. There are other ways people might say it in English but none of them are 'even if you say that,' which is why it sticks out. Another is the repetition of characters' names throughout dialogue. When things that are unique to the Japanese language and culture are said out loud in English, it takes away from my immersion in the story.

Also, sometimes English voice actors are just bad. Maybe the Japanese voice actors are bad too, but they sound alright to me, someone who doesn't know the language.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
only times i 'prefer' Japaneses language, is when it fits, IE its fine for something like Inuyasha, but Full metal Alchemist, no, there's nothing 'Japaneses' about that show cept where it was made.

same basic rules apply to gaming, but in ether case it a light annoyance that far from a deal breaker. should also be noted, unless i really like the games OST, i generally play with something else playing in the back ground

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
It really is best to give players/viewers the option to choose if possible. Some people just prefer sub>dub and vice versa, no reason why they shouldn't try to make everyone happy. To answer your questions more directly:

1. For the people that "want to the original Japanese voices." that could be for a variety of reasons, but I'm going take a guess that if you asked them all that question a good % of them would probably say something like they didn't like the dub and would've liked a alternative.

2. As for the "original" voices question, I doubt it's the original part is as important as the voices sounding good. If the original was crap and the alternative was superior suddenly being "original" matters a lot less.

3. As for Catherine once again the quality of the voices is the most important factor here. Nationality really doesn't factor in that often since companies will naturally fit the language to match their target audience. That's why in lots of anime everyone on earth speaks Japanese, why in star trek every alien race speaks English, etc etc.

4. I'm sure there are people that naturally think Japanese just sounds better, but I would like to think the majority of us would just pick the voices that sound better to us regardless of language.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
I lived in Japan 7 years and read/write/speak fluently. My wife, likewise, is a native speaker so I'm speaking Japanese daily even though I'm in Australia again.

I play a J-region PS3 because all of my PS2 games are J-region, and a sizable chunk of my PS3 games are J-region as well.

But that said, I always rather play Japanese games in Japanese. And watch Japanese movies in Japanese. Mind you, I always watch French movies in French. And German movies in German.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Kitsuna10060 said:
only times i 'prefer' Japaneses language, is when it fits, IE its fine for something like Inuyasha, but Full metal Alchemist, no, there's nothing 'Japaneses' about that show cept where it was made.

same basic rules apply to gaming, but in ether case it a light annoyance that far from a deal breaker. should also be noted, unless i really like the games OST, i generally play with something else playing in the back ground

Inuyasha, a show about feudal japan and CLASSIC Japanese mythology and folklore, has nothing Japanese about it other than the location of it's creation?

Could you be any more ignorant? o_O

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Dreiko said:
Kitsuna10060 said:
only times i 'prefer' Japaneses language, is when it fits, IE its fine for something like Inuyasha but Full metal Alchemist, no, there's nothing 'Japaneses' about that show cept where it was made.

Inuyasha, a show about feudal japan and CLASSIC Japanese mythology and folklore, has nothing Japanese about it other than the location of it's creation?

Could you be any more ignorant? o_O
wow ... really ?

just ... wow ...

read ALL of the post, not just two lines, then try and say that again

greatcheezer2021

Oct 18, 2011
it comes down to who was in charge of the animation.

the characters and all are established in a setting, however the movement of the lips and the syncing of audio and how the mouth moves in response is different.

usually, the scenario is the anime/game/moovy was made in japan, so its going to be animated due to the original voice acting. AND THEN you get a dubbed version, which is either English, Spanish, French or Dutch.

Rasmus Emilsson

Jun 22, 2010
Have you even heard how utterly stupid everything sounds in the english voices for Naruto?

I usually go for subbed first, they are usually better I think.

Mogget128723

Feb 9, 2010
I think what they mean when they say that they want the original Japanese voices is that Japanese English voice actors almost universally suck. Even as someone who really doesn't like Japanese development values and as such, plays very few Japanese games, I find that the English voice actors they hire are just shit-awful; they're flat, bad actors, and in comparison, the Japanese voice overs are much superior in terms of emotional scale, even if you can't understand them.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
it,s context if a game is set in Japan it,s pretty stupid to have all the characters talk fluent English.
it,s also more fun for people who understand Japanese.
a dual audio track isn't that hard to do or hard to implement since you already have all the audio.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I don't play that many Japanese games so this doesn't come up for me that often. I think it just comes down to not being able to tolerate terrible voice acting, which is often common in dubs of Japanese games. I play Super Street Fighter IV with Japanese voices because the English ones make me cringe. The Japanese voices could suck too, but I don't speak Japanese so I don't notice.