To WoW or not to WoW

emion

Feb 3, 2011
just had to say that your headline was the best Shakespeare reference EVA XD

but thats probably cuz Im a little high on snuff x3 (worst name on a tobacco ever XD just LMAO)

Chess__x

Aug 4, 2009
I'd like to throw another 'no' into this. I don't even think it's a particularly good game for a start and I definitely agree with people saying it's repetitive. I think for people with crappy lives it can be a means of escapism because you can take on another life and stick with that for as long as you want, whereas most games will eventually end and for the large part you don't have a lot of autonomy. But if you game for fun then spend the money getting various different games instead. Variety is good and you'll seem like a more interesting person.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Well its a fun game but be fair warned...It took my whole summer 2 years ago and man did it damage my social appearance a long with the physical appearance badly. I just fixed everything for that social bit. If you can manage your time well then do it. That was my problem.
Captain Placeholder said:
DotHacker said:
Speaking as an ex-WoW player, it depends. To have fun in WoW is to be committed to it like a marriage and pretty much your life revolves only around WoW. It all depends on how easily addicted you are to such games.

I for one oppose of getting WoW.
Complete and utter bullshit. I play maybe 3 hours a WEEK, and I am still at the top of my BG and Arena Bracket - which to me PvP is the most fun in the game.
So yea, you are not going to get 'addicted'. A lot of the people (like the one above) believe that if you play WoW (just because it is a popular game or because they themselves are easily addicted) you will become a zombie.

It is not true.

If it interests you get it.

You can quit at anytime if you get bored of it - want to play again later? Pick up where you left off.

Once again:

90% of the people who 'hate' WoW are either A.) easilly addicted or B.) hate it because it is popular. As you know 'Popular' games get shat on in any Video Game Forum. So read part _____ again.
Ex wow player here. No one here really hates it because of B. Thats more halo and CoD. Its mostly A. I experienced it. People get easily addicted and that is why it receives hate. Mainly because it destroys your social life... like any game really.

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
WoW is totally harmless. I find it laughable how we all rage against the media branding games as evil after a handful of students go on a rampage, then happily attack WoW as an addictive monstrosity that grinds souls and kills puppies. The evidence? A minority of people were to weak to exercise basic self control and act responsibly. Remind you of any popular media attacks?

School shooting by a gamer? It's his own fault.

WoW player neglects his son? THE GAME MADE HIM OMG ITS SO EVIL AND ADDICTIVE!

Personally, I'd wait for Guild Wars 2 or maybe Rift. I've played WoW for a long time but for me Cataclysm just seems a bit... stale, like the awesomeness well is drying up.

pejhmon

Mar 2, 2010
LordFisheh said:
WoW is totally harmless. I find it laughable how we all rage against the media branding games as evil after a handful of students go on a rampage, then happily attack WoW as an addictive monstrosity that grinds souls and kills puppies. The evidence? A minority of people were to weak to exercise basic self control and act responsibly. Remind you of any popular media attacks?

Personally, I'd wait for Guild Wars 2 or maybe Rift. I've played WoW for a long time but for me Cataclysm just seems a bit... stale, like the awesomeness well is drying up.
you say that but I have a friend who started WoW about 3 weeks ago and has gotten to the stage where she barely left her room for the week break we just had because of it

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
I played it for years. It's fun if you have friends and have a little creativity. I'd suggest a druid, mage, or rogue as these three classes provide the most fun in screwing around. Join a PvP or RPPvP server. Do it. Yes, it sucks to be ganked every so often, but it will more than be made up for when you're able to mess with low levels yourself.

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
As someone who RPs and levels casually, I've never experience addiction, grade drops, becoming a loser, etc etc.

Your reaction to the game depends on your play style. If you like the demo, try it.

TerranReaper

Mar 28, 2009
I played WoW quite a bit, and I can safely say that I wasn't insanely addicted, if you can maintain good self-control and maintain a good balance, you will not get addicted easily, not to mention, I played semi-seriously, so I can testify. However, I highly suggest you either find some good friends to play with or meet some decent people online, because a lot of people can be assholes. If you don't have good self-control, I suggest against playing it. I highly suggest against playing solo later on, a lot of people here will say otherwise, but getting to 85 is much faster when you do stuff with other people, also, learning to deal with assholes is highly beneficial in the long run, if you don't, it WILL feel like a grind later on.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
I played WoW for 4 years, and I have to say, I think WoW's better days are behind it. I'm looking forward to maybe Star Wars: The Old Republic.

WoW is incredible for it's accomplishments, but I know I can't get back into it.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
It's a pretty fun game if you can find some friends to play it with.

Just concern yourself about whether you enjoy it or not... just be a bit wary of your time spent. It is rather easy to lose track of real life when playing if you are not careful.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
I like it, but if you have no friends or fun guild to play with, it's boring.
yes, it's easy to spend lots of time with it, but it's also easy to spend lots of time jerking around on the internet, so...

I think I'll stop soon though, I've hit the point where I've pretty much seen everything and I don't want to raid cause it's too much of a commitment. I think I'll switch to TOR when it comes out :)

Misterbenners

Dec 11, 2010
I've been playing WoW for nigh on 4 years. I've taken 2 6 month breaks, but always came back.

You can't look at or compare WoW to other video games. It's much more appropriate to compare it to a night of poker with your friends (where you steadily lose $15 a month). The game is about finding people that you enjoy playing with and experiencing the game with them. Honestly, if I didn't have a close guild I would have quit for good long ago.

If you have friends that play, it'll be worth your time; otherwise I'd recommend skipping it and the entire MMO genre entirely.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
Irishguy said:
Recently I've been playing a lot more rpgs such as fallout new vegas and dragon age origins, so I decided to get the WoW demo and I enjoyed. But the whole having to pay a subsciption fee and the media saying that WoW makes you have no life has put me on the fence. I just would like a second opinion on wiether or not I should get WoW.
You said you liked it? SUBSCRIBE TO IT. Why are you asking us? If you want something get it. You don't have to be obsessed; you don't have to play it 24/7. You subscribe to it and play it whenever you feel like doing so. These people who say that it is an addiction are sheep; don't listen to them.

On the other hand, if you do not like the game, then why are you asking the internet if you should subscribe? If you do not want nor have the amount of money to subscribe, then this post should not exist.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
I absolutely loved WoW (for the most part) but don't ever plan to play it (or any other MMO) again. Do miss the days... but they're just not worth it to me anymore.

As for subscription costs, I saved a TON of money while playing WoW! Instead of paying around $100 a month on games, I was only paying $70 every six months to play WoW, and I played it more than I would have played those other games for sure.

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
If you have friends, the time, and a disposable income. Give it a go. Just be sure to manage your time.

SketchyFK

Mar 14, 2010
I liked wow for a long time. I started playing about a year or 2 ago (the time escapes me). It truely depends on what you are looking for in a game, for WoW:
- it has good pvp aspects, not as good as others. Guild Wars 2 will soon be released and, hopefully like the original Guild Wars, it's pvp will be equally as good.
- leveling post cata is much more fun.
- General banter if u find a good guild, is good.
- u won't complete it in 2 weeks (unlike DC Universe online)
- higher level content is generally difficult. If you are JUST starting the game now, by the time you reach level cap they will probably have released alot of new dungeons. Which is good.
- High level dungeons and areas are hard, they provide a challenge. Which is nice.

on the downside, it can destroy your life.

Digitaldreamer7

Sep 30, 2008
pejhmon said:
LordFisheh said:

you say that but I have a friend who started WoW about 3 weeks ago and has gotten to the stage where she barely left her room for the week break we just had because of it
I did the same thing with mass effect and mass effect 2 when they came out. Hell I took a 4 day weekend with my vacation time to play mass effect 2 from start to finish Pure awesomeness. My significant other is in complete support of this. She made me snacks and watched me in her free time because she enjoys games just as much as I do. I have a life, a 7 year old, a job, etc.

on topic a bit more. I play wow. I play about 2 or 3 hours a day if there's NOTHING ELSE GOING ON. When Cata released I played a lot. I got to 85. I finished the quest zones and enjoyed all the pop culture references. I played a lot more during that time, but, again, I HAVE FREE TIME. lol.

People cause addictions, not objects.

DotHacker

Feb 21, 2011
Captain Placeholder said:
Complete and utter bullshit. I play maybe 3 hours a WEEK, and I am still at the top of my BG and Arena Bracket - which to me PvP is the most fun in the game.
So yea, you are not going to get 'addicted'. A lot of the people (like the one above) believe that if you play WoW (just because it is a popular game or because they themselves are easily addicted) you will become a zombie.

It is not true.

If it interests you get it.

You can quit at anytime if you get bored of it - want to play again later? Pick up where you left off.
Look I already said that "it depends", I'm just saying from experience. Maybe I was easily addicted to WoW due to how big the game was (back then). and right now 1/2 of my class are pretty much digging into WoW and 1/4 of them are MMO players while the rest are pretty much casual gamers that never really cared about MMOs. Now most of them talks about WoW every time they meet.

Of course by now you play 3 hours a week. You have all your gears, for those who are still in the weak equipment tier, they will always strive for better gear so they can play better/easier which is the mentality of majority of MMO players which pretty much will grind their time just to get those equips.