Today Is "Video Game Innovation Day" in Massachusetts

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Today Is "Video Game Innovation Day" in Massachusetts

In honor of the rich history of game development in the state and the release of The Beatles: Rock Band, the Governor of Massachusetts has officially pronounced today "Video Game Innovation Day."

In the state of Massachusetts today isn't just the Dreamcast's 10th birthday, the day that The Beatles: Rock Band comes out or that the Red Sox knock the Orioles out of playoff contention (I'm guessing that one is on the minds of most New Englanders more than the others). It's also, as per the governor's official declaration, Video Game Innovation day.

Governor Deval L. Patrick's proclamation [http://innovation.blog.state.ma.us/blog/2009/09/video-game-innovation-day-.html] made mention of Massachusetts' rich game development industry, which generated $3 billion in sales last year, its history (the guys who created Spacewar! Were MIT students at the time), the innovation being pursued at companies and universities throughout the state, and, of course, The Beatles: Rock Band (Harmonix is based in Cambridge, MA).

Governor Patrick urged "all the citizens of the Commonwealth to take cognizance of this event and participate fittingly in its observance," so if you're a Massachusetts resident, go on and do that. In fact, why doesn't everyone just celebrate this occasion, why not? How will you "participate fittingly in its observance?" I intend to play The Beatles: Rock Band, but what other milestones of "videogame innovation" will you guys celebrate?

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Yeah, but... how the hell are you meant to actually celebrate it? Wave your copy of Portal around?

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
...ok I'm from Massachusetts and I am massively confused.

Of course one thing comes to mind which is "24-hour game jam" but the day's over half-over so there goes that idea.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
too bad i live in New Hampshire, although it is like 50 times better herre anyways.

But how are we supposed to celebrate this, where our videogame shirts that we don't want people to know we have, then carry around the controlers and wave them like a Wii game?

WolfMage

May 19, 2008
I say that every one of us does something personal, like a tribute to gaming greatness I guess.
My personal thing will be to get off my fat, skinny nerd ass and make a mod or two for my fave games, namely Cortex Command and Oblivion. Time to visit Sutch, anyone?
Or just play Portal again and make a copy of it's cake, but without all the fish shaped waste and such.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
*Goes a bit Crazy* I live in Boston and my Xbox died yesterday. GREAT TIMING GOV.PATRICK!

I was gonna honor today by going on a mass murder spree in Oblivion and in Fallout 3.

On an unrelated note. GO RED SOX!

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
You know, all of you are saying "how do you celebrate blah blah blah" but I have to say, this is the first time in a while I've thought "wow, it's kinda cool to live in Massachussettes". You guys should just be happy that any sort of politician is giving video games their own day.

And it's obvious how to celebrate. Play a good game. I've been playing Shadow of the Colossus all day without even realizing I was celebrating anything :D

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
And here I thought there was nothing cool about our new Governor. I must go purchase cupcakes now.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
Supreme Unleaded said:
too bad i live in New Hampshire, although it is like 50 times better herre anyways.
yeah, NH is pretty much the best state. i used to live just north of the border too.

but since when were the orioles in playoff contention?

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
They should have called it Video Game Sequel Day, since there's nothing particularly innovative about The Beatles: Rock Band.

P.S. Thanks

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
You know, all of you are saying "how do you celebrate blah blah blah" but I have to say, this is the first time in a while I've thought "wow, it's kinda cool to live in Massachussettes". You guys should just be happy that any sort of politician is giving video games their own day.

And it's obvious how to celebrate. Play a good game. I've been playing Shadow of the Colossus all day without even realizing I was celebrating anything :D
I'm not saying it's a bad gesture to recognize the importance the state has played in the industry itself, but at the same time he's giving one day out of one year (unless this becomes a yearly thing) and it came out of nowhere. So basically I'm confused yet interested.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Last of the Chinchillas said:
Pray to dear, salty Cthulhu for Scribblenauts to get here sooner?
I don't need a special day for that - every day is "Pray to Cthulhu for Scribblenauts to get here sooner" day.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
maddawg IAJI said:
*Goes a bit Crazy* I live in Boston and my Xbox died yesterday. GREAT TIMING GOV.PATRICK!
He's spying on you. Go check your window.
AceDiamond said:
Of course one thing comes to mind which is "24-hour game jam" but the day's over half-over so there goes that idea.
10 hour game jam?

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
AvsJoe said:
maddawg IAJI said:
He's spying on you. Go check your window.
AceDiamond said:
10 hour game jam?
Well now it'd be a 9-minute game jam

Nov 11, 2008
This is the greatest thing to come from Massachusetts since...Since...I don't no. Well, Hopefully we can get some lobbists in Washington and make this a federal holliday! Escapist Lobbists UNITE!