Today's Biggest Musicicans....WHO's OVERRATED?

gbemery

Jun 27, 2009
KafkaOffTheBeach said:
Kanye, really? If anything, since the whole 'public image suicide' thing he's become positively underrated and occasionally contemptuously dismissed.
Beforehand - yes. I agree that he was overrated.
I wish I was joking but that is who most of my classmates on campus were listening to in my last three classes this semester.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
soulfire130 said:
Any/all rap artists, R&B artists, and Country artists/bands . The beatles. Michiel Jackson.

I'm so no making any friends with this.
I like the Beatles, but I totally agree with MJ.

Kevonovitch

Apr 15, 2009
pretty much all of them. anyone that had any quality is either retired, dead, or just about finished w/ there career.

KafkaOffTheBeach

Nov 17, 2010
gbemery said:
I wish I was joking but that is who most of my classmates on campus were listening to in my last three classes this semester.
I suppose I shouldn't have forgotten about his last album being a musical tour de force that was pretty much universally praised by critics and normal people alike...
Ok.
Throw him in the overrated pile.
But with a sticky note on him saying something along the lines of 'but I can totally respect the massive bounce back from a career ruining move in a way that combines both artistic and populist goals into a very good album. I fucking hated the half-an-hour video clip though. You're still overrated.'

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Lady Gaga. She is a clown. Thats not even probably an insult. Maybe if she would perform in jeans and a t shirt, I might take her seriously. She is one big gimmick.

KafkaOffTheBeach

Nov 17, 2010
MFenix said:
inb4: JUUUUUSTIIIIN BIIIEBER!!!!!!
Also Disturbed, they're good but not that good.
Why didn't I read this before the Lady Gaga one?
You are so very right.
I mean; they basically play metal for people who don't like metal or have no real understanding of musicianship, which sounds rather derogatory, but that must have been a conscious, genius marketing decision which landed them with a massive, relatively untapped fanbase that will defend them to the death for offering them easily consumable music with 'edge'.

gbemery

Jun 27, 2009
KafkaOffTheBeach said:
gbemery said:
I suppose I shouldn't have forgotten about his last album being a musical tour de force that was pretty much universally praised by critics and normal people alike...
Ok.
Throw him in the overrated pile.
But with a sticky note on him saying something along the lines of 'but I can totally respect the massive bounce back from a career ruining move in a way that combines both artistic and populist goals into a very good album. I fucking hated the half-an-hour video clip though. You're still overrated.'
HA! love it!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Absolutely everyone ever.

If you have ever picked up an instrument or sung a note then you are grossly overrated.

Also, I am so non-mainstream that the only music I listen to is recordings of rivers and thunderstorms.

So there.

lovest harding

Dec 6, 2009
TheRevanchist said:
I feel bad for today's youth. Popular music these days all just sound the same. It's like people forgot what good music was.
I can promise that if you pick any decade (or era of music, like grunge or hair metal) and listen to all the number one hits, most will sound identical. What's popular is popular and there are always people who are willing to either:
A) play into what's popular to get success
or
B) honestly enjoy being part of the genre and take advantage of a situation that makes them happy and gives them success.

And really, there's no need to feel sorry for today's youth. Especially considering they have the widest range of music in history (including all that 'good' music you seem to be so fond of).
If I can't find music I want to listen to, I open up YouTube and explore until I find an artist I love (either modern or from another era). Even 10 years ago, I wouldn't have had that luxury.

lovest harding

Dec 6, 2009
Zhukov said:

If you have ever picked up an instrument or sung a note then you are grossly overrated.

Also, I am so non-mainstream that the only music I listen to is recordings of rivers and thunderstorms.

So there.
I consider both recordings of rivers and thunderstorms to be overrated!
I only listen to recordings of rivers during thunderstorms.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I really, really hate all of Kesha's music. But, I don't matter as I'm not her target audience. It seems like there is no music targeted at me... Everything on the radio makes me turn off the radio.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
soulfire130 said:
Any/all rap artists, R&B artists, and Country artists/bands . The beatles. Michiel Jackson.

I'm so no making any friends with this.
Don't be like that, I can be your friend, we seem to have a lot in common.

Just add Modern Pop Starts to that list and I would say it includes all of the overrated people.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
The Stones.

And now that I've got some attention, I would say today, Kanye West or any of those modern day rappers like 50 cent.

back then, I would hoenstly say Nirvana shouldnt have been as big as they re, but I'm an AiC fan, so thats probably just me talking about how layne never got the creditbility he deserved.

... metallica shouldnt be as big as they are, since they stole a good portion of thier songs.

Also, now the the post is over, i was joking about the stones. They're a very good band.

KafkaOffTheBeach

Nov 17, 2010
Zhukov said:

So there.
Rivers and Thunderstorms used to be good, but now everyone's heard of them...especially rivers. You could almost say that they became
mainstream
I prefer Slight Seismic Rumblings with Undertones of Aquatic Doom.
Apparently they're really big in Japan at the moment.

commodore96

Aug 31, 2010
I feel like if I made all the people who say all artist from a certain genre is bad they would find a song they actually liked.

OT: 311 and Led Zepplin. Don't get me wrong I love Black Dog and Immigrant Song but they are mega overrated

booker

Feb 25, 2011
Neutral Milk Hotel.

I just cannot understand why people (i.e., mostly hipsters) like that band. Well... I can appreciate the unique instrumentation characteristic of the band however the campfire songs laid over are grating at best. Surreal lyrics don't save it for me (despite my love of the surreal). Maybe that band is too deep for me. Then again, I listen to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XSC18smNUs

Tennou486

Dec 26, 2008
zehydra said:
Screamer (metal music with vocals that have no pitch) is very overrated (amongst the metal community particularly)
As a music fan with a strong interest in metal, I'll agree with this to a point. I happen to like harsh vocals, but they are quite overdone now too. It all depends on how they're used. Emo bands that do it just for the sake of doing it aren't helping the situation. To me their best use is together with clean vocals, like in Scar Symmetry, Blood Stain Child or Disarmonia Mundi.

In terms of the topic of this discussion, I'd say that Gil Scott-Heron is very overrated (ok, he supposedly founded an entire genre of music, but when your own parents who lived during the time he was "famous" don't know who he is, that says something).

OptimisticPessimist

Nov 15, 2010
KISS. Love Gun is decent and Destroyer is great, but the rest of their line-up s pretty mediocre. But maybe my opinion is colored by my utter, unparralleled hatred of Gene Simmons. so take that with a grain of salt.

*re-reads Op*

Oh, today's biggest bands! Gotcha.

In that case, most of the obvious ones have been taken. So I'm gonna go with T Pain (or however he spells his chosen monicker)