Tokyo Jungle Gets North American Release Date

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Tokyo Jungle Gets North American Release Date

Sony's post-apocalyptic animal-survival game will be heavily discounted for North American audiences.

If North American gamers came away with nothing else when they saw previews of the Japanese PlayStation 3 exclusive Tokyo Jungle, it was that the game would allow them to play as a Pomeranian puppy during a post-apocalypse. The reaction to this image <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/9694-E3-Preview-Tokyo-Jungle>was understandably positive. It wasn't too long afterwards that Sony confirmed Tokyo Jungle would receive North American and European localizations, allowing players to finally experience the animal-based survival simulator that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117894-Tokyo-Jungle-Takes-the-Lead-In-Japan>sold hundreds of thousands of copies in Japan during its first week alone. Sony has revealed additional details on its North American PlayStation blog, specifically that the fully localized game will finally arrive on the PlayStation Network on September 25th.

Tokyo Jungle allows you to choose from over 50 playable animal types trying to survive in a city in which humankind has vanished under mysterious circumstances. The game will feature both a story campaign in which a range of animals attempt to eke out a new existence, and an ongoing survival mode in which players attempt to secure territory and produce future generations to prevent their chosen race's extinction. Players will gain survival points during gameplay that allow them to unlock new species and buy them ability-enhancing costumes, that by coincidence, are also adorable.

Perhaps the best news for gamers is Tokyo Jungle's price tag. The North American release will be a digital exclusive, set at $14.99. For context, the Japanese boxed copy was priced at ¥3,900, which is approximately $49 US. To be fair, I wouldn't have minded paying a little extra to pick up my own physical copy. Perhaps a special edition packed with an adorably violent plush Pomeranian?

Source: Joystiq

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Now if it would just come out on a thing I have I would get it.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Right on.

Now, the tricky part is how well that game will sell out here, and I really hope it does well.

We need more quirky games out here.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Wait a moment, this isn't getting a boxed release...? I really wanted to grab this one but looks like I may have to pass it by. It looks really fun and interesting but I just can't maintain a net connection so no Pomeranian vs Dinosaurs in Japan for me...then again if Flower can get a boxed release there may be hope yet.

Apr 28, 2008
Well, I'll give Sony this. At least they have the stones to publish crazy stuff like this. Can't wait to try it out.

saintdane05 said:
This reminds me of that one game for the Wii, "Deadly Creatures." Was that any good?
It was alright, I suppose. Nothing too special though.

XandNobody

Oh for...
Aug 4, 2010
So, wait. Let me get this strait.

We get an awesome, niche as hell, Japanese game, and not long after it's release in Japan no less, the same year in fact. Not only that, but we didn't have to beg and prostrate ourselves before the gods of gaming to get it, and we get it at a heavy discount?

In this new bizarre parallel universe, is this planet still called the 'Earth'? Does cheese still taste like cheese? TELL ME, IS CHEESE STILL CHEESE!?

DrRockor

Jun 24, 2008
This is all very nice but what's the European release date? The lack of games featuring pomeranians in my collection hurts me greatly

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Worgen said:
Heck, spend the $250 and get a PS3! I don't think it is going anywhere for several more years and games, particularly used ones, are very affordable.

I love their exclusives, and this thing looks amazing.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I didn't know I could ever feel happy for the fall release schedule when Sly 4 got bumped to February. But...here we are. Bit bummed that this will be PSN exclusive, but I honestly saw this coming. Niche Japanese game where you play in post-apocalyptic Japan as a fuzzy yapper-dog and get a higher score by killing things and having sex?

Sign me up!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Gorfias said:
Worgen said:
Heck, spend the $250 and get a PS3! I don't think it is going anywhere for several more years and games, particularly used ones, are very affordable.

I love their exclusives, and this thing looks amazing.
If I was gonna buy anything for $250 it would be a new graphics card.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
God, I can't wait for this, it's one of the reasons I got another Playstation 3 after the last one broke. (It had a good run)

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
When it hits Europe, it had better get a physical release. Otherwise, no sale.
No digital exclusive is worth it, just isn't. I'll even take a limited edition of some kind at a price slightly higher than default, I wouldn't mind really, in fact if it'll get more bizarre titles like this physically released overseas I'd be more than happy to pay a little bit of a premium.