Tom Clancy: The Writer And The Wargamer

Robert Rath

Oct 8, 2010
Tom Clancy: The Writer And The Wargamer

In the first of a two part series, Critical Intel explores the story behind Tom Clancy's effect on and relationship with gaming.

Read Full Article

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
Really interesting stuff!

I love the idea of a load of Naval officers essentially playing a massive RPG/RTS.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
i would love to see how the game actually played out, turn by turn

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Damn. After reading this article I really wish that we had some Tom Clancy strategy games. Strategic naval warfare is not something many games have focused on and done well and I would love to play such a game.

deathmothon

Nov 30, 2013
Falterfire said:
Damn. After reading this article I really wish that we had some Tom Clancy strategy games. Strategic naval warfare is not something many games have focused on and done well and I would love to play such a game.
Strategy is kinda coming back in vogue. I hope something like this comes out. Red Storm Rising was one of my favorite books growing up. It wasn't tied to the Jack Ryan story.

As for the actual Tom Clancy video games, I haven't been a fan of the story in any of them. Rainbow 6 Vegas, Ghost Recon, Advanced Warfighter, and Hawx all had pretty boring and unrealistic plots. I missed some of the early rainbow 6 games though.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
I honestly wonder what Tom Clancy or any other serious military strategy analyst finds the most insulting about games like CoD now.

SargeSmash

Oct 28, 2013
This is phenomenal stuff. I've been a Clancy fan for years, and knew he had put in tons of research, but this takes it to a whole other level.

Man, I wish he were still around. Rest in peace, Tom.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
Absolutely amazing article and am waiting impatiently for the next installment! Granted with today's technology RSR seems a bit dated but still a book I read every few years (has a permanent place on my bookshelf and e-reader).

I read his last book a few months ago (Command Authority) which dealt with an invasion of the Crimea and when the current events in the Ukraine took place I was amazed on how close he got predicting the way it is being reported in the news (not that I am making light of what is happening there).

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Clancy was very strong on naval warfare. That said, there was amongst the RN there was a debate for years afterwards about the degree that Clancy had ignored the Soviet doctrine of instantaneous threat. Theres was also much derision about the portrayal of the aegis system. Certainly in the early 90s its was nowhere near as effective as shown in Red Storm Rising. Some Pongos of my acquaintance took issue the land side as well, the version they thought was closer was the Third World War by General Sir John Hackett.

Falterfire said:

You can play the computerised version the original wargame.
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/323/details/Harpoon.3.-.Advanced.Naval.Warfare

Darklord008

Dec 14, 2011
Man, oh man, this was super interesting. Clancy is by far my favorite author, and Red Storm Rising is one of my favorites of his, and learning about how it was written, how the wargames that gave him his research were organized and played out, is aweseome to read about. Can't wait for the next piece.

RingaFiar

Mar 12, 2011
I remember being a big Tom Clancy fan during my teenage years, particularly loved Red Storm Rising.

Don't think it's been mentioned yet in the thread but there was a game called Red Storm Rising which I played on the Amiga.

The game was based on submarine warfare with you in charge of a US nuclear sub. It was quite a dry game played on a sonar screen with you trying to hunt down the enemy using passive sonar and the like.
I loved it! The game had the overiding theme of the 3rd World War which you could kind of effect. Hit a convoy for example and the Soviets advance (shown on a map of Europe) slows or halts, lose a battle with an invasion fleet and you see the Soviets advance in Iceland or Norway.

I think it was the forerunner to games like silent hunter and the like (although I could be wrong on that).

Not really making a point here, just getting all wistful and nostalgic!

IrenIvy

Mar 15, 2011
Very interesting article but also too short. Even with a promise of continuation about video games, I'd like to see this one extended as well to cover more details and events. Good read. Thank you, Mr. Rath.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
RingaFiar said:
Don't think it's been mentioned yet in the thread but there was a game called Red Storm Rising which I played on the Amiga.
I remember playing this on both a C-64 and much later on a PC. There was also a 'Hunt for Red October' game (that came with a a copy of the book) that was released as well but I preferred the RSR game

deathmothon

Nov 30, 2013
Holy crap! I had no idea Tom Clancy was dead. I stopped reading his books after Executive Orders. I figured I would've heard about his death, but I guess not. I didn't even realize it after I read this article. I just decided to wikipedia him.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
This is actually the first article I've read in a while that has left me foaming at the mouth for more.

Damn it, next week! Hurry! I want more!

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Wow, I've always seen Clancy's stuff lying around, but I've usually been too lazy to go out and check them out.

After reading this, I might look at Ghost Recon or one of his novels. The guy sounds like a prodigal genius, and it'd be nice to see some of the stuff he made.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Wow, I've always seen Clancy's stuff lying around, but I've usually been too lazy to go out and check them out.

After reading this, I might look at Ghost Recon or one of his novels. The guy sounds like a prodigal genius, and it'd be nice to see some of the stuff he made.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
RingaFiar said:
I remember being a big Tom Clancy fan during my teenage years, particularly loved Red Storm Rising.

The game was based on submarine warfare with you in charge of a US nuclear sub. It was quite a dry game played on a sonar screen with you trying to hunt down the enemy using passive sonar and the like.
I loved it! The game had the overiding theme of the 3rd World War which you could kind of effect. Hit a convoy for example and the Soviets advance (shown on a map of Europe) slows or halts, lose a battle with an invasion fleet and you see the Soviets advance in Iceland or Norway.

I think it was the forerunner to games like silent hunter and the like (although I could be wrong on that).

Not really making a point here, just getting all wistful and nostalgic!
MicroProse's silent service came before they developed Red storm rising. Both were worked on by Sid Meier is in his prime which explains the quality of both games.