Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege - Kill the Intruders - Hands on - Update

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Ahh this brings me back to the old SWAT games. Where you don't just rush the objective, spraying lead everywhere. Can't wait to play this one.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
shinyelf said:
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Rainbow Six: Siege is right up there with Medal of Honor: Warfighter for pointlessly tautological titles.
I don't think that either of those titles technically qualify as being tautological, there is no direct correlation between Rainbow Six and Siege, and while Warfighter does seem like a strange name Siege is actually pretty relevant.
Yes there is. Rainbow Six is a series entirely about counter terrorism, and most if not all of your missions involve resolving hostage situations - which are often referred to as 'sieges' in common use. What's more, neither of them really add anything to differentiate from previous titles... it's not as if you've never fought wars in Medal of Honor or resolved sieges in Rainbow Six.

It would be like putting out a game called "The Sims: Life Simulator" or "Singstar: Vocalist", or even "Grand Theft Auto: Vehicular Crime".

Britpoint

Aug 30, 2013
tdylan said:
She is an objective, nothing more.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a standard practice, to refer to human beings as "the package" or some such terminology, in order to distance yourself and to allow you to think objectively, as opposed to having your decision making being compromised by emotion?
That works in real life but not in a multiplayer game. I think the issue here is that this isn't really a game about rescuing a hostage, it's a game about beating the other team. One team has to get her in order to win, the other team has to keep her in order to win. So you have a realistic depiction of a terrified woman fearing for her life... trivialised down into the role of hockey puck or football.

It's capture the flag but the flag is a person. Greg says that he feels uncomfortable because the hostage is a woman, and that's fair enough, but I think he would still feel uncomfortable if the hostage was a man because beyond the sexism aspect is a more fundamental issue of trivialising human terror - a side of the uncanny valley we haven't really seen before as these game modes usually focus on collecting inanimate objects that don't beg for your help and cower.

I don't want to spend this entire post being negative though, because the actual gameplay side of things looks really promising! Made me think back to days playing SWAT 4. The shooting looked like it lacked something, maybe the recoil was a bit off, but the environment destruction was great.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
So... instead of looking at this and taking away that the game looks great and that the gameplay is fitting to a Rainbow Six game. We're going to throw a fit about the title, a title that isn't bad, just because, reasons?

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
If that is actual in-game footage I will literally eat my own dick. The animations are far too elaborate.

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
Looks nice and all but...No one is going to aim like that in a real match. It's like they all went to stormtrooper school. Meaning matches (and certainly firefights) are never going to last half as long before some twitchy German 12-year old has shredded everyone.

Also, the dialogue...

Apart from that, this could have potential.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
If this game is going to be worth the money, it will feature a variety of maps with a variety of hostages. Maybe even a dog, but one of those small ones that the hostage keeps in her purse.

I think it would be fun to be able to unlock different types of hostages. (Lets be honest, theirs probably going to be unlocks in the multiplayer), so you could unlock a clown skin or something for your hostage.

And before people start telling me that it will make the game less intense, I bet that after playing one or two rounds and seeing all of the hostages animation and hearing all of her dialog you'll emphasize with her a lot less and start to see her as any other videogame NPC.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
HalloHerrNoob said:
Maybe you should look up the word tautology...a tautology would be:
Leaguer: The siege

Pro-tip: Its the opposite to a oxymoron.
Pro-tip: a fairly common definition of 'tautology' is "the needless repetition of an idea using different words".

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege - Kill the Intruders - Hands on - Update

Tactical team-based slaughter has never been so destructive.

Read Full Article

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Still calling it "Tom Clancy's"?

Would have thought they'd dropped that bit.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
The Wooster said:
If that is actual in-game footage I will literally eat my own dick. The animations are far too elaborate.
Weirdly enough a lot of the guys that tried it out didnt noticed any difference from what they showed (one even was asked just about the animations, not the overall game). I wasnt expecting them to do the animations on par with the demo but damn if they actually pull it off.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
So basically we're back to CS go type gameplay and no RB6 patriots full on good singleplayer campaign, yeah I'll probably pass on this, cheers Ubi.