Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege - Kill the Intruders - Hands on - Update

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Wow, this manages to capture the exact game I want from Rainbow Six. But that dialogue made me cringe so badly...

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Each map starts with a preparation phase. Once you've selected your class, your team has one minute to get ready in the house. The defenders set up barricades, locking down windows and doors and reinforcing walls. You can also set barbed wire down to slow the enemy's advance. The police or eponymous rainbow six team have remote camera drones which can enter the building and scope out defenses and the location of the hostage. You can also argue about which way to enter the building, which in the build we played was limited to front or backyards. Hopefully they come up with more creative ways to enter because it makes sense to me to drop on the roof.
Wasn't the roof EXACTLY how they entered the building during the Day 0 reveal? They repelled upside down from the roof and shot/jumped through the windows.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
Eiv said:
This game was made for me, can't wait. :D
That is exactly what I thought seeing the launch trailer yesterday.
CS is fun, but being able to blow up a floor and drop in on kidnappers. That is gaming.

OT I just hope they balance it so that it's not just 15 second matches of everyone dying instantly.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
TiberiusEsuriens said:
Wasn't the roof EXACTLY how they entered the building during the Day 0 reveal? They repelled upside down from the roof and shot/jumped through the windows.
Yes, but I think the author was limited to the front and back yard in the build played to the public.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
She is an objective, nothing more.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a standard practice, to refer to human beings as "the package" or some such terminology, in order to distance yourself and to allow you to think objectively, as opposed to having your decision making being compromised by emotion?

As far as I can recall, every piece of military fiction that I've watched/read, they've referred to human beings as "the package." For example "stick with the package," or "en route with the package." While it could be interesting, I don't think a briefing of "this is Karen Jones. Mother of 4. School teacher that volunteers at a homeless shelter on the weekends" is needed. It may help the rescue team to form an emotional bond to the hostage, that could end up affecting decision making/upping the tension, and maybe that will be in the final game.

Anyone else wondering "what's to stop the hostage takers from simply killing the hostage?" Because I can see a lot of people doing that just for shits and giggles. Then I thought "perhaps they can't kill her, only 'down' her." But if that were the case, they get the advantage in planting explosives around, waiting for the rescue team to grab her, and then detonating. Or fire around/threw her without fear of repercussion, because the onus is on the rescue team to get her out of the house. We'll see where they go with it.

I'm hoping for post game cut-scenes depicting winning/losing cinematic for each team. For example, if you're the hostage takers and you succeed, there's a scene of your ransom demands being paid, or something. If you fail, there is you being taken into custody. Or even a single "cops win/kidnappers win" cut scene.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Two things really. One i dont do multiplayer so i hope there is a single player. But mostly, i hope there is more levels where you just break into one place and plan the attack. The newer games became more like Ghost Recon with huge levels. Where i liked the "terrorists in the cinema, you need to rescue them" and it was just that one building to infiltrate.

On a sad note, it looks like they have canned that other R6 game that had them fighting home grown USA terrorists - or militia i think they were. That looked interesting.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
tdylan said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a standard practice, to refer to human beings as "the package" or some such terminology, in order to distance yourself and to allow you to think objectively, as opposed to having your decision making being compromised by emotion?
Maybe she is a drug mule and they are talking about the packages of cocaine in her stomach. Damn drug dealing anti terrorist unit. ;-)

Simonism451

Oct 27, 2008
tdylan said:

As far as I can recall, every piece of military fiction that I've watched/read, they've referred to human beings as "the package." For example "stick with the package," or "en route with the package." While it could be interesting, I don't think a briefing of "this is Karen Jones. Mother of 4. School teacher that volunteers at a homeless shelter on the weekends" is needed. It may help the rescue team to form an emotional bond to the hostage, that could end up affecting decision making/upping the tension, and maybe that will be in the final game.

Anyone else wondering "what's to stop the hostage takers from simply killing the hostage?" Because I can see a lot of people doing that just for shits and giggles. Then I thought "perhaps they can't kill her, only 'down' her." But if that were the case, they get the advantage in planting explosives around, waiting for the rescue team to grab her, and then detonating. Or fire around/threw her without fear of repercussion, because the onus is on the rescue team to get her out of the house. We'll see where they go with it.

I'm hoping for post game cut-scenes depicting winning/losing cinematic for each team. For example, if you're the hostage takers and you succeed, there's a scene of your ransom demands being paid, or something. If you fail, there is you being taken into custody. Or even a single "cops win/kidnappers win" cut scene.
I'd wager that the hostage takers' objective is to keep the hostage inside the house as well as alive, so if she dies both teams lose.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Greg Tito said:
How about a dog hostage?
Okay team, I've got the hostage! *Growl* I... Good doggie... good doggie... Um, team? Anybody got any dog biscuits? I'd rather not have my hand bitten off...

But yeah - cool as this all was (especially the team-talk actually sounding like team-talk), the idea of a woman being an 'objective' made me a bit uncomfortable as well. Hope they change it up. I didn't notice any female PCs either, but it was a bit hard to tell.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
We need more niche titles. I'm interested in this, but I've had bad experiences with some of previous Clancy's mp games. They seem pretty bad at supporting them. Also, I'm pretty sure previous R6 games and Counter-Strike games had male hostages.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
MarsAtlas said:
Simonism451 said:
I'd wager that the hostage takers' objective is to keep the hostage inside the house as well as alive, so if she dies both teams lose.
You must have never encountered trolls before.

There's a very simple solution.

a) Make the hostage(s) unkillable.

b) Make it so that the team that kills the hostage is the one that loses.

I imagine that it will be option a, since the defenders could do a lot to basically trick the cops into killing her. For example, placing them directly behind a door that can only be breached with explosives, or they might abuse in-game systems, such as a very, very common one where once an individual dies, their body no longer stops projectiles, meaning that any one single pass the minimum requirement to kill the bad guy could go through and kill the hostage, or just abusing the fact that bullets can go through multiple bodies, and just plain lining the hostage up with their own bodies.

I think they'll probably set up a penalty system where if you do too much damage to the hostage, you end up downing yourself automatically, maybe even knocking you out of the match.
The b) option is very likely, in most situations the criminals dont want the hostages dead since they are the only thing that gives them the upper hand and the means for demands.

Gameplay wise since this isnt real life and loosing the hostage doesnt mean much making the team loose the round is the most likely penalty.

I really dont see how "hostages" are now something of poor taste by the developers. In a shit ton of games have hostages been used as the objective, and its not even something that far from reality. Keeping the hostage alive and in their control is the goal of everyone involved in such situations.

Also I really dont see the point of making a big deal of the hostage being a woman, you guys seriously believe that the entire game will only have women to save? If it was a man would anyone bat an eye? It had to be someone.

SonOfVoorhees said:
Two things really. One i dont do multiplayer so i hope there is a single player.
They already confirmed single-player and co-op although they didnt go into specifics. Its a multiplayer focused game but those things are there, maybe a small campaign or just the multiplayer maps with bots (it wouldnt even be that bad as long as you can control your guys making very similar to the great Terrorist Hunt mode). That way you could have the matches with the pacing you wanted.

The Vegas games were fun but I had more fun with the Terrorist Hunt levels honestly, the main campaign while fun never really let you loose to do it how you wanted, most of the times you simply had 2/3 ways of entering a single room with patrolling enemies. The campaign of Raven Shield is better in that aspect although I would really like to see the levels expand more (the demo for Siege seemed to be bigger then the map layout since the sniper was in another building and the other guy went there to kill her)

Sad that the Patriots theme was dropped as it looked interesting (even if a bit outdated now) but to be honest I cant complain about a Rainbow Six game that aims to be an improvement rather then just making it mroe casual (Lockdown kind of casual).

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
I don't know, it looks way too ..um hollywoodish. I think I'll stick to Door Kickers. Especially if there's no single player mode.

Simonism451

Oct 27, 2008
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Rainbow Six: Siege is right up there with Medal of Honor: Warfighter for pointlessly tautological titles.
Eh, at least Siege is a word even people that don't masturbate to exploded diagrams of M16A1s are aware of and seems to fairly accurately describe what's going on in the game.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Rainbow Six: Siege is right up there with Medal of Honor: Warfighter for pointlessly tautological titles.
I don't think that either of those titles technically qualify as being tautological, there is no direct correlation between Rainbow Six and Siege, and while Warfighter does seem like a strange name Siege is actually pretty relevant.