Tom Hardy is A Victorian Vigilante in FX's Taboo Trailer

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Tom Hardy is A Victorian Vigilante in FX's Taboo Trailer

The Revenant star reunites with Peaky Blinders creator Steven Knight in what looks to be an epic series.

I'm not sure how this flew under the radar until now, but FX will be teaming up with BBC One next year to bring us a limited series television event starring Tom Hardy an 1800's adventurer seeking to avenge his father's death. It's called Taboo, and from the looks of this teaser trailer, it's got everything that a Tom Hardy fan could want: silent brooding, intense staredowns, thinly-veiled threats, potential male nudity and throat-ripping.

In addition to starring in the project, which comes from Steven Knight (Peaky Blinders) and Ridley Scott, Hardy is also attached to the project as an executive producer. Taboo will mark the third time that the Revenant and Mad Max: Fury Road star has collaborated with Knight, having previously appeared in the second season of Peaky Blinders as gangster Alfie Solomons and in the lead role of Knight's 2013 drama, Locke.

The official synopsis for Taboo is below, via FX:

TABOO follows James Keziah Delaney, a man who has been to the ends of the earth and come back irrevocably changed. Believed to be long dead, he returns home to London from Africa in 1814 to inherit what is left of his father's shipping empire and rebuild a life for himself.

But when his father's legacy is revealed to be a poisoned chalice and enemies lurk in every dark corner, James must navigate increasingly complex territories to avoid his own death sentence. Encircled by conspiracy, murder, and betrayal - a dark family mystery unfolds in an explosively colourful tale of love and treachery.

As both a fan of Victorian-era thrillers (though technically, I suppose that this series takes place in the Napoleonic Era) and Tom Hardy, I don't want to start poking holes in Taboo before it even airs. That being said, I am curious to learn how Hardy's character could possibly maintain such a flawlessly tight haircut while spear-hunting in what appears to be an Amazonian jungle. It's as if neither he nor Knight have even seen Jumanji, for Chrissakes.

Taboo's eight-episode run is expected to air on the BBC and FX sometime in 2017.

Source: Quiet Earth [http://www.quietearth.us/articles/2016/02/Tom-Hardys-FX-Show-TABOO-Looks-incredible-Trailer]

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
So it's made in part by the BBC and yet the trailer isn't available in the UK? Fine, I'm sure I'll find it somewhere.

Also some joke about the BBC knowing all about 'taboos'.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Christ, that looks fucking badarse. Some good actors in it as well.

Strange to be able to actually understand Tom Hardy though. What is his real voice?!?

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Today I'm in pedants corner.
As both a fan of Victorian-era thrillers (though technically, I suppose that this series takes place in the Napoleonic Era) and Tom Hardy, I don't want to start poking holes in Taboo before it even airs.
Technically speaking 1814, is the Georgian era. Ah that's much better I can feel all the pedantry draining away

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
LongAndShort said:
Christ, that looks fucking badarse. Some good actors in it as well.

Strange to be able to actually understand Tom Hardy though. What is his real voice?!?
I didn't know the man could actually speak properly. I just figured on his wedding day when the priest asked, he just grunted in reply.

CoffeeOfDoom

Jun 3, 2009
ambitiousmould said:
So it's made in part by the BBC and yet the trailer isn't available in the UK? Fine, I'm sure I'll find it somewhere.
For people who can't see the video in the UK:

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
CoffeeOfDoom said:
ambitiousmould said:
For people who can't see the video in the UK:

Ah, cheers. Apparently I'm backwards because I couldn't find this.
Oh well.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."
Go fuck yourself, Youtube. What's the freaking point of hiding a freaking trailer behind borders?