Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition Coming to Next-Gen Consoles

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition Coming to Next-Gen Consoles

Lara Croft is coming to the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

The long-awaited Tomb Raider reboot launched earlier this year to not quite good enough [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10207-Tomb-Raider-Review-An-Icon-Reborn] for publisher Square Enix). If you missed out on Lara's epic island adventure when it came out for the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC, you'll have another chance to experience it next year on your shiny new hardware. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition is coming to the PS4 and Xbox One on January 28, 2014 in North America.

This next-gen edition of Tomb Raider was Tomb Raider website [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129819-Amazon-Italy-Reveals-Next-Generation-Tomb-Raider-Definitive-Edition]:

-The fully rebuilt game for next-generation consoles
-The Tomb of the Lost Adventurer
-Eight DLC multiplayer maps
-Six DLC multiplayer weapons
-Four DLC multiplayer characters
-Six outfits for Lara
-Dark Horse digital comic book Tomb Raider: The Beginning
-Brady Games digital art book Tomb Raider: The Art of Survival
-The Final Hours of Tomb Raider documentary series

Additionally, the Xbox One version will have Kinect support, and the PlayStation 4 version allows players to stream to the Vita.

Tomb Raider was one of my favorite games this year, so I'm happy to see it get a next-gen upgrade. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition is available to pre-order now, with select retailers offering "art book packaging featuring never before seen concept art" according to the Tomb Raider blog.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Nope. The only thing they could say about it was the TresFX hair. Next-gen consoles are getting the PC version, without 3D capability.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Basically a worthless cash in. Granted if they released this in 2 years then it might be ok. But a lot of people have already played this on the PS3/360 so not sure who will want to buy this version of it? I hear the multiplayer was worthless crap so those extras are pointless. I guess if they added proper huge levels added to the game, that would be good. Or even redone levels/puzzles from the older games just as nostalgia gaming would be nice.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Well I didn't play it on 360 so maybe I'll get this if I actually buy a new console.

Gotta wait till shit gets cheaper though.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Mr Ink 5000 said:
so is this 8th Gen version of TR a port of the PC version, which was a port of the 7th Gen version?
I am wondering too, is it really "rebuilt" or is it the PC version with higher res texture packs, the hair engine and DX11 like shading and lighting effects? If it really is completely rebuilt I wonder if there will be a PC version too.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I love the word choice. They're backhandedly saying the original console version wasn't even complete.

To be honest, I hated the tress FX and always turned it off, it made her hair fly around like crazy. Hair does not act like that, especially when it's wet. At least the regular hair isn't as distracting. I'd probably consider it a negative unless it's optional.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Lets count it together folks.
-Eight DLC multiplayer maps
-Six DLC multiplayer weapons
-Four DLC multiplayer characters
Thats 20 DLCs, evne ignoring the Six outfits for Lara.
If they pull the crap with DLCs like they always did, meaning its at least 10 dolalrs each, thats 260 for a complete game. Thats a nice one!

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
Nope. The only thing they could say about it was the TresFX hair. Next-gen consoles are getting the PC version, without 3D capability.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

It's funny really since PC have had the next gen version for like almost a year. They should of focused their efforts of making the next game instead of making a "next gen" port.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
BigTuk said:
J Tyran said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
so is this 8th Gen version of TR a port of the PC version, which was a port of the 7th Gen version?
I am wondering too, is it really "rebuilt" or is it the PC version with higher res texture packs, the hair engine and DX11 like shading and lighting effects? If it really is completely rebuilt I wonder if there will be a PC version too.
So you want a PC version of the 8th gen version of the pc version of the 7th gen version....me thinks a portion of the universe just imploded into a metahole.
No, I would only be interested in a PC version if the game is genuinely "fully rebuilt" and a real current gen game instead of a ported up version with a few extra sparkly bits we got last time.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
If they offer an upgrade like Ac4 etc for those with the PS3/xbox360 versions I'll grab a copy, but at full price no way. What's the point for mp dlc when it never interested me.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I kind of always suspected that Tomb Raider was originally planned to be a next-gen game, under the assumption that next-gen systems would come out sooner than they did. Hence why TressFX was exclusive to AMD.

J Tyran said:
No, I would only be interested in a PC version if the game is genuinely "fully rebuilt" and a real current gen game instead of a ported up version with a few extra sparkly bits we got last time.
What differentiates a "real current gen game" from a previous-gen one with improved graphics? Hell, what differentiates any game from one from the generation before it besides something that requires more processing power? I haven't played Tomb Raider, but I haven't heard anything bad about the PC port.

Jul 31, 2013
You know, this reminds me of the old "new and improved" slogan that cereal company's would slap on their products. Understand my surprise when I realised that for all these years I've been eating and old and inferior product!!!

It's the same with this. Are you implying that the PS3 and X360 versions were "indefinitive"? Were they lacking something? They were only 90% finished?

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I hope they don't ruin Laura's character (again) after they have gotten her as a blank slate... by adding jiggle physics, skanky costumems, or give her another ponytail that'll probably crash my PC.

captcha: fancy pants

No, captcha. Everybody could do with fancy pants, even Laura Croft.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mcoffey said:
Adam Jensen said:
Without the 3D, lower resolution, and lower frame rate, of course.
Still, the comics and behind the scenes stuff should be fun for collectors.
And without the corresponding lower price due to it being a dated game, no doubt

Actually, I just checked and Amazon lists it as a 60 dollar game.

Dated PC games at new console prices!