Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition PS4 Graphics Compared vs PS3 in Video

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition PS4 Graphics Compared vs PS3 in Video

<youtube=7NUX2rG_u8w>​
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for the PS4 shows the difference in graphics from last-gen to current-gen.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition launches on PS4 and Xbox One at the end of the month. The Tomb Raider reboot originally came out last year hitting the limits of the PS3 and Xbox 360. The new, current-gen edition has graphical improvements that you can see in a video IGN put together.

Both the PS4 and Xbox One versions have 1080p resolution, better textures, dynamic lighting, and a new head and model for main character Lara Croft. If anything looks dramatically different, it's Lara. Her face is more defined and shaded, and each hair strand looks more realistic.

"What we find most on next-gen is that it's about particle systems, it's about environmental effects, it's about the movement and that sense of immersion that people want in a world in next-gen," Scot Amos, executive producer of developer Crystal Dynamics, said. "When we made texture maps for the characters in the game and the world itself on last generation, you make them as high resolution as you can, but you always have to squeeze them down to smaller size, but for Xbox One and PS4 we were able to go back and take all those textures we'd done and blow them up literally four times larger than they'd ever bee, so you can see minute details."

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition will also have multiplayer DLC (previously released), Tomb of the Lost Adventurer DLC, six additional outfits for Lara, and digital comics and videos. The game comes to Xbox One and PS4 on Jan. 28.

Source: CVG [http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/01/13/tomb-raider-definitive-edition-ps4ps3-comparison-and-analysis]

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
You're comparing a last gen console version, with a next gen console version. That's not going to sway me that this is a worthy repurchase (I wasn't going to anyway, because I already played the game).

Show me the PC version with equivalent graphic settings compared to your "definitive" version. Then maybe I could be impressed by your work.

mindfaQ

Dec 6, 2013
Mcoffey said:
Kinda makes me mad that these updates wont be released on the PC, even as DLC. I've long since finished Tomb Raider, but I'm never one to turn down extra shinies (At a reasonable price).
Well I certainly would no support a developer like this further.
Not that it matters much, though - in 3 years we'll just emulate the PS4 on PCs if needed.

edit:
some PC screens for comparison:
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/7404/tr8v.jpg
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/3328/tr9l.jpg (care, some blood on it)

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Pretty sure my PC version of TR looked better than the PS4 version shown here. And what's the framerate of the PS4 version? Locked at 30 I presume.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
While it's nice to see the sudden leap of graphical power that can be achieved in the new console generation, the trick will be using this new power effectively to render more enemies, smarter AI, larger playable areas, more interactivity etc.

Also it just goes to show how much the last console generation held back PC gaming, since this leap is achievable with Bone and PS4 specs, think what could have been done if proper PC ports were bothered with!

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Hmm, makes me happy I haven't played this game yet. The difference is significant, but I don't know if this type of detail wasn't already possible in PCs (since most pc games allow ultra settings).

I'm interested in seeing what other games may be re-released with the console launch. I'm personally interested in a higher quality The Last of Us and as game of the year, it'd be perfect.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
The hair still looks way off. And her face? Uncanny valley, much?!
I found it hardly better looking... guess I am comparing to PC.

Someone should make that video, PC vs PS4. But please release it in 4K, 1080p is too low res to do the PC version justice. (If it was done correctly...)

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I like this game enough to think that it's a good game to own for a next-gen console. I like what they've done with her face.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Kenjitsuka said:
The hair still looks way off. And her face? Uncanny valley, much?!
I found it hardly better looking... guess I am comparing to PC.

Someone should make that video, PC vs PS4. But please release it in 4K, 1080p is too low res to do the PC version justice. (If it was done correctly...)
They gave her makeup in the PS4 version.
I mean, yes, in the PS3 version, it does look like she might have been wearing a titch of makeup before this ordeal, but the textures around, say, her eyes look a bit smudged and her mascara at least a day old.
With the PS4 version, her lips are way too supple and evenly-colored after all that hard-core adventuring, her complexion is matte and even as though she has freshly-applied base, and those eyes... She's clearly wearing mascara by the way her eyelashes are clumped together like that, but there's no telltale dark ring under her eyes, nor at the base of her lashes as there should be, and its damn obvious that they gave her eyeshadow.

I don't necessarily mind characters having makeup, but in this situation, in which the whole point of the original was " sweet little girl forced to survive and becomes badass tomb raider," they got it right the first time. This just comes off to me as their showing you a "before and after" picture of a young woman with and without makeup and insisting that the difference is due to graphics.

And really, the difference isn't all that great enough to warrant a whole new piece of hardware in my opinion, especially when even a basic laptop PC these days can do as well as last generations' consoles with no sweat. For the sheer amount of cost in adding all these extra little features, like smoke collecting in a burning building or more birds in the background, I'd far prefer more content.

Except for the hair. I will totally admit that the new hair rocks my world.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The hair honestly looks very unnatural, like bits of individual string. Hair tends to group together. The last gen hair might've been less detailed, but that actually gives a better impression of a hairdo. I think they were trying to be a bit too clever here, instead of opting for an older and way more natural solution.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I VASTLY prefer the old face. The new one is a bit too soft and a bit too uncanny valley for me. The last version was more approachable girl-next-door type.

Though apparently the new face is scanned from the original model and actress...

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
Don't make me subscatter your surface, cuz I will!

Er, I didn't understand any of that, but I can see where they made improvements. I already got my fill of that game, don't feel any compulsion to buy it again.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
I don't think it will be 60fps. They would have mentioned it in this trailer if that were the case.

And this is why I'm switching over to PC gaming. The next gen promised a whole lot, but it simply isn't capable of delivering on that prospect.

Mar 26, 2008
So apart from the enhanced weather and lighting effects and making the whole thing darker, it's not much of a big leap forward. Even though I own a next-gen (or is it now current gen) console I still think they could have held out for another year before releasing the Xbox One / PS4. The 360 and PS3 were still kicking goals.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Does look fairly decent to me. I've already played (and still own) the PS3 version, so a re-buy wont be on the cards for me here.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
The hair honestly looks very unnatural, like bits of individual string. Hair tends to group together. The last gen hair might've been less detailed, but that actually gives a better impression of a hairdo. I think they were trying to be a bit too clever here, instead of opting for an older and way more natural solution.
This is kind of what happened with the 360 and PS3 when they were intruduced, just because they could now make stuff shiny and reflective EVERYTHING had to be shiny and reflective

Look at those rocks, they look like rubber with that weird reflection, older games had better rock textures. The same goes for the armour of the enemy