Tomb Raider PS4 Sales More Than Double That of Xbox One In UK

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Tomb Raider PS4 Sales More Than Double That of Xbox One In UK

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition lords it over in the UK sales charts, with the PS4 version moving more than twice its Xbox One counterpart.

Lara's next-gen debut, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, proves to be a big win for Square Enix, as the action-adventure game managed to knock FIFA 14 off its throne. Interestingly enough, the PlayStation 4 version of Tomb Raider has managed to sell more than double compared to the Xbox One version. According to Chart-Track, 69% of total Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition units were sold on the PS4, while the Xbox One version settled with just 31%.

Even if Lara managed to knock EA's FIFA 14 off the top spot, the soccer-sim was behind by less than 500 units.

The entire top ten is listed below.

1) Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

2) FIFA 14

3) Call of Duty: Ghosts

4) Battlefield 4

5) Lego Marvel Super Heroes

6) Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag

7) Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition

8) Grand Theft Auto 5

9) Need for Speed: Rivals

10) Killzone: Shadow Fall

It's been reported before that the PS4 version of Tomb Raider was the technically superior version [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131603-Tomb-Raider-on-PS4-May-Double-Xbox-One-Framerate]. Is this the case why it sold over twice as much than its Xbox One counterpart, or is it because there are more people who bought the PS4 in the UK compared to Microsoft's console?

Regarding the Xbox One, resolutions and frame-rates, over the weekend, a Microsoft exec told a gamer to troll less and game more [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131911-Microsoft-Exec-Snaps-Back-at-Fan-Over-Xbox-One-Resolution-Issue] when needled about the Xbox One's apparent technical limitations of the console when it comes to these issues.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-03-uk-chart-tomb-raider-definitive-edition-top]

baarserik

Nov 18, 2009
The way the title is written makes it look like the PS4 version is somehow responsible for doubling the amount of Xbox one consoles sold in the UK..

I was confused.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
Both comments are exactly what I was going to say... :/

It took a good read to understand the title... and yeah, I can't believe this is a best-selling game... a full price remake that adds no content. Is there really nothing else to buy for the PS4/Xbone?

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
garjian said:

It took a good read to understand the title... and yeah, I can't believe this is a best-selling game... a full price remake that adds no content. Is there really nothing else to buy for the PS4/Xbone?
Tomb Raider sold well, but it didn't sell that well. I imagine the news has just convinced a lot more people to pick up the game who wouldn't have tried originally. I doubt any of the people buying it already owned it beforehand.

I'm really happy that Tomb Raider is getting into more people's hands, it really was a great game.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
BrotherRool said:
Tomb Raider sold well, but it didn't sell that well. I imagine the news has just convinced a lot more people to pick up the game who wouldn't have tried originally. I doubt any of the people buying it already owned it beforehand.

I'm really happy that Tomb Raider is getting into more people's hands, it really was a great game.
Sure, but why not spend £30 less and get the same game for the older consoles that I'm sure most people still have.

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
baarserik said:
The way the title is written makes it look like the PS4 version is somehow responsible for doubling the amount of Xbox one consoles sold in the UK..

I was confused.
Re-arranged it. Couldn't fit the entire thing since it broke the site. xD

garjian said:

Read above. Sorry for the confusion.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Well, since more people bought the PS4 it makes sense that more people would buy the game for the PS4. And like I said in another thread, people need to justify purchasing a new gaming system, so they'll buy any game that is out. And Tomb Raider is one of the most famous names in video games.
I'd buy it if I had a PS4. It's one of my favorite games from 2013. I wouldn't mind having it in my PS4 library.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
Alex Co said:
It's been reported before that the PS4 version of Tomb Raider was the technically superior version [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131603-Tomb-Raider-on-PS4-May-Double-Xbox-One-Framerate]. Is this the case why it sold over twice as much than its Xbox One counterpart, or is it because there are more people who bought the PS4 in the UK compared to Microsoft's console?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but PS4s only outsold Xbones by 50%, for the PS4 version to have sold double suggests something else is at play. I personally think it's because many people who bought the xbox were doing it to get a COD/Fifa machine, with media center tacked on top. The fact that the only next-gen exclusive on the list (killzone) is for playstation suggests PS4 owners buy more games in general.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
I'd like to think people got PS4 over Xbone because entire franchise started from PS1, but that's just me.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Shocksplicer said:
I think the real news here is that people are actually buying this overpriced cash grab.
If thats the case then we would get a yearly article stating that people still buy Call of Duty in large numbers.

Oh wait, we do.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Dont get why people bought this game again, especially as it was released on the PS3/360. Also dont get why the developers sold it for price for what is just a graphical update. The game is great, and you should by it on a PS4/XB1 but only if you havnt played it. But thats the problem with buying a new console, when there is nothing worth buying on it the you resort to buying games you've already played.

Dec 16, 2009
"soccer sim" - wouldn't football sim be more appropriate, as thats what its called in the UK, and we're refering to the UK chart?

I whacked my TR settings up to ultra today, to see what all the fuss was about. I was very underwhelmed, also, crouching is automatic/context sensitive. not sure if I like that

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
It saddens me to see CoD beating Battlefield, but at least neither of them got the top spot. I wonder what the numbers are like in the US.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Double the framerate? Double the sales!

If people want to double-dip, I say let them. I actually find that less egregious than adding in exclusive new content I can only get if I pay full price for a technically inferior version (PS2 Resident Evil 4 says hi).

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
garjian said:
BrotherRool said:

Sure, but why not spend £30 less and get the same game for the older consoles that I'm sure most people still have.
Because the newer version looks a lot better and some horribly, horribly shallow people like me think that makes a difference. A bad game with amazing graphics is not better than a good game with mediochre graphics, but a good game with amazing graphics is better than a good game with mediochre graphics. I played it on PC so I got the pretty graphics* and the low price.

Also, there's not a whole lot out there. I'm guessing early adopters on the consoles are more interested in the graphics aspect of it too. If you don't mind spending several hundred bucks on a new console, you probably don't mind shelling out a few more dollars for a better looking game.

* The new version is supposed to have some upgrades beyond the PC version. I also wasn't able to run TressFX in a good enough framerate to keep it on.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
In other news, in Poland, PS4 Tomb Raider outsold XBO version by 100%, simply because Microsoft decided to do a Nintendo Treatment on us, and didn't release the console here at all.

*hugs his PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 and PS Vita*

Oh Sony, please don't ever leave me...

(yes, I'm a fanboy, how did you guess?)

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Shocksplicer said:
I think the real news here is that people are actually buying this overpriced cash grab.
It could be that they own a PS4 and have never played the game? Because I fall in that category and I don't regret getting one of the most critically acclaimed games of last year for my new console.

Mar 26, 2008
garjian said:
Is there really nothing else to buy for the PS4/Xbone?
Yeah I think that is a big factor. I've got everything worth getting on the Xbone and have to wait til March for Titanfall, so there is a bit of a lull. Also, I have Tomb Raider on the Xbox 360, so I'm not interested in buying "the definitive edition" for awesome hair.