Tomb Raider Reboot in the Works?

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
Gotta say i'm pleasantly surprised that SQUARE ENIX of all people are reworking the Tomb Raider series in a way that actually seems favourable. :O Didn't expect that, did we?

ActualOvaltine

Jul 1, 2009
Wow, the new Lara design is very.... Normal! That is not a bad thing at all, just a breath of fresh air. I never much liked the games but I will definitely not sign it off from the get-go if they change things up.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:
sunami88 said:
This series has been stagnating for ages, just let it go!
That's why A new developer is reinventing it. So it won't be the same stagnating game series being milked for cash.
That has to be the most ironic thing I've heard about Square-Enix.

Bayushi_Kouya

Mar 31, 2009
Hachura said:
Just me, or does she kind of look like Rhona Mitra in the concept art? Hot!
Amusing, since Rhona Mitra was the Lara Croft model at one point.

I am somewhat flabbergasted to learn that Square Enix now owns Eidos. I cannot fathom whether that will be good or bad. All I've ever played from Square Enix are Final Fantasy 12 (passable, if you close your eyes during the cut scenes), and Kingdom Hearts (quite possibly a cavalcade of everything that's wrong with video games today).

Then again, a Japanese developer might be a good thing for Tomb Raider. So long as they stay away from teen angst. ::Goes back to burning Vaan in effigy::

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Why not have a sand box world sub devied by hubs, use elements from RE4(store/3rdp view level layout), Dead Space(store/3rdP view/level layout) and Prince of Persia(mainly SOT,dexterity and combat paced in between exploring), have a puzzle performer with randomly generated puzzles(for each new game, or hard mode).

Combat can be broken down to 3rd person dogging with inaccurate shooting and first person precision shooting, instead of using ammo(ammo in ancient runes FTL) take longer to reload from a clip and if you overheat the weapon by firing to much in a row its broken, different levels of weapons are can be harder to break or faster to reload,ect beats putting new weapons in old ruins IMO....

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Bayushi_Kouya said:
Hachura said:
Just me, or does she kind of look like Rhona Mitra in the concept art? Hot!
Amusing, since Rhona Mitra was the Lara Croft model at one point.

I am somewhat flabbergasted to learn that Square Enix now owns Eidos. I cannot fathom whether that will be good or bad. All I've ever played from Square Enix are Final Fantasy 12 (passable, if you close your eyes during the cut scenes), and Kingdom Hearts (quite possibly a cavalcade of everything that's wrong with video games today).

Then again, a Japanese developer might be a good thing for Tomb Raider. So long as they stay away from teen angst. ::Goes back to burning Vaan in effigy::
FF12 is broken(skill system) and has poorly setup equipment/equipment system, I don't mind the JP obsession with angsty teens beats the US obsession with mute tone muscle bound thugs.... what I can't stand is poor gameplay and FF12 could have been alot better and no the RT aspect was not that bad even turn based the skill and equipment would have been meh at best... the last good FF games were 9 and 7 and before that 6 and 4.... square has been a mainstream water it down dev for along time now......

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
nilcypher said:
Leaked concept art suggests that Eidos are reworking one of their most popular franchises.
Didn't they already rework Tomb Raider with Angel of Darkness? Then rework it again when Crystal D took over the franchise? At this rate, Lara Croft is gonna look in worse condition than some old 80's beater with off-color doors.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Hmm might be good as long as they keep the platforming and keep the sence of isolation from the original games Lara wasn't a people person hopefully they continue the underworld style of zero boss fights and no oxygen bar and no ammo pickups in ancient temples

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I've played and enjoyed a few of the more recent installments in the Tomb Raider series, so I'm moderately interested in this as a game.

What interests me more is just the simple fact that it's Square Enix that's in charge of the series now. The series used to be British, got strong influences from the American market, and is now owned by a Japanese company.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
Sounds good. Things have gone downhill and Yahtzee made a lot of good points about the sort of character she's become visually and thematically. Of course she's now in the hands of Square-Enix, which had a you playing a cell of "freedom fighers" in FF7.

googooplex

May 20, 2009
Ive never liked tomb raider,I remember playing the first one shortly after its release on PC and thinking this load of bull will never take off, but lo and behold here it is getting rebooted as its cheaper than comming up with an original idea.