Tomb Raider Reboot in the Works?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Tomb Raider Reboot in the Works?

Leaked concept art suggests that Eidos are reworking one of their most popular franchises.

Lara Croft is one of the most iconic figures in gaming, being one of the few videogame characters to be recognisable to an audience beyond the game-playing demographic. But Lara's popularity has waned somewhat in recent years, and so new owners Square-Enix appear to be taking the character back to basics.

Except you haven't seen basics like these, not in a Tomb Raider game at least. If leaked materials are to be believed, Lara's back story is being re-written from the ground up, and the next Tomb Raider will eschew the linear locales of previous titles, in favour of an open world, sandbox style environment.

The game will supposedly have a focus on survival and have a retooled combat system with more emphasis on melee. There's going to be an bow and arrow in there somewhere as well, if the picture is to be belived.

This is all just rumour of course, but it's worth mentioning that the site that originally linked the images were contacted by Eidos lawyers and asked to remove them. That might not mean anything, or it might mean everything.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175140]

GodsOneMistake

Jan 31, 2009
Hmm if this is true, than that means they changed her look all together, that seems risky to me, but maybe it'll work out

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
If that's true then I'll be first in line to pick up this game.

The only question left to ask is: Are they going with old balloon-breasted Lara or the new, more realistic Lara?

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
... Okay, I really like this.
She seems to be wearing a decent level of clothing, and no longer looks like a shag doll with googly eyes.
If this turns out to be true, I might actually see about buying this.
You know. When it comes out.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
When will they just let Tomb Raider die for craps sake? This series has been stagnating for ages, just let it go!

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
sunami88 said:
This series has been stagnating for ages, just let it go!
That's why A new developer is reinventing it. So it won't be the same stagnating game series being milked for cash.

Well at least not for 3 more games.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
I hope they make a good game first and a Lara Croft polygon ogling game last. I never liked the Tomb Raider games because I have played the demos an she always handled like a tank that wielded duel pea shooters that seem to take three hundred rounds to kill everything.

Her story never made sense either. Apparently she is an heiress and paleontologist who lives in a mansion and supports her lifestyle by robbing graves world wide and as far as I can tell has never used a spade and shovel.

Strong Intelligent

Feb 25, 2009
So, is this the first one since TR3 that isn't just milked? Must be pretty good, and I've always liked the idea of a game that makes you feel like and explorer. Might check it out.

superdance14

Oct 15, 2008
I like how we're all very open minded here. (Sarcasm)

I'm not a big fan of Tomb Raider, but this looks interesting to say the least.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
This sounds interesting, I doubt I'd buy it unless they push it to some new boundaries though. Gameplay boundaries that is.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
sounds quite interesting... I've never been a particular fan of Lara Croft, but if their re-tooling the franchise... who knows!

anyways, for now I shall put this franchise on my game-dar... for now. colour me slightly curious.

Steve Dark

Oct 23, 2008
Wow, the Tomb Raider series has been rebooted more that I've had to reboot windows. And that is a LOT.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Nice to see that her boobs have a healthier size now. I couldn't stand those udders she used to have.

And she seems to be wearing relatively decent clothes. How thoughtful.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
What the hell, didn't they JUST reboot the damn franchise? Are they taking a mulligan or something?

OniSuika

Jul 11, 2009
It'd be great to see Tomb Raider return to it's roots. No more intense combat and bullet time bull, and re-shift the focus onto exploration, puzzles, and really pretty locations.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
could be interesting if it's true. guess time will tell if it's true or not

i could see it working like the new prince of persia did

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
The Great JT said:
It's official: I. FUCKING. HATE. EIDOS.
Fuck, who doesn't?

Give her a more realistic rack, change the controls so they respond TO WHATEVER THE FUCK I TELL IT TO DO, and make her more likeable as a character and I'll consider a purchase.

Oh shit, right. This is Eidos. They're going to go with the old design and control review scores. Fucking idiots.