Tomb Raider Reboot/Origin Story On Its Way

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Count me as definitely interested.. but then I've long been a fan of the series and feel that outside of a couple notably poor titles, and major over exposure, it's been a very good one.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Woodsey said:
Seneschal said:
Woodsey said:
Why is there a metrosexual, 19-year-old guy on the front of a Tomb Raider poster?
Isn't it? A friend called it "final-fantasy-like" because it's gender-bendingly confusing. I mean, she's very pretty, but she has a jaw like Kratos.
I can see stubble too - look at the upper lip.
Relatively certain that's dirt.

A-yup.

Feb 13, 2008
StriderShinryu said:
Count me as definitely interested.. but then I've long been a fan of the series and feel that outside of a couple notably poor titles, and major over exposure, it's been a very good one.
Indeed. I think the problem is balancing what is sellable, what is believable and what is fun; which are usually three different areas. Let's hope we at least get a whiff of estrogen this time instead of the testosterone.

Metrosexuality is fast becoming one of my new hate words though. That picture is NOT making me feel happy for the reboot. And if they make her American, there will be blood on my hands.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Woodsey said:
Why is there a metrosexual, 19-year-old guy on the front of a Tomb Raider poster?

[sub]And why am I getting the sneaking suspicion that they're going to make her American?[/sub]
oh... so now "remakes" are "localizing games to U.S"

that makes sense...

dear god just let her die and create "Uncharted" with a female lead (wich is what i´m guessing will do)

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
For a reboot, it's oddly close to the current origin story for Ms Croft about her being the only survivor of a plane crash, found in the manual for the first game.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
HentMas said:
Woodsey said:

[sub]And why am I getting the sneaking suspicion that they're going to make her American?[/sub]
oh... so now "remakes" are "localizing games to U.S"

that makes sense...
Err... No.

I can just see it happening.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Didn't they already do this for Tomb Raider a while back? I'm getting a strong feeling of Deja Vu.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sixcess said:
John Funk said:
...a frightened young woman...
I'm suddenly very afraid we're going to get a Metroid Other M style character derailment.

I generally dislike prequels and reboots. Isn't the entire point of a continuing series that the story, y'know, continues... instead of stagnating in flashbacks and revisionism?
Well, in all fairness here I'm not sure it's character derailment if it's supposed to show her BEFORE she was the confident globetrotting adventurer. Other M was objectionable because Samus was already supposed to be a badass bounty hunter.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I thought that Legend was a reboot, and it detailed Lara's origins.
It was also, in my opinion, the best of the series.

Not quite sure why there needs to be another reboot, after the newest one came out 2 years ago.
I guess we've got another victim of Spider-Man syndrome.

Nevertheless, I like the series and the reboot worked once before, so maybe it'll work again.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Colour me interested. If there's one thing I love almost (keyword: almost) as much as Legend of Zelda, it's Tomb Raider.

ForsakenUK

Feb 11, 2010
this had better be good...

ive been playing these games since the first and Crystal Dynamics have yet to impress me as much as Core Design did...

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
My problem with Tomb Raider has always been that the CORE games were challenging but soulless, no story worth mentioning. Crystal Dynamics actually had a very nice trilogy story-wise but the games were just no fun to play and were stupidly easy. I couldn't help thinking while doing the Romulus Shrines in Brotherhood that it was the best Tomb Raider game I'd played in about 10 years.

Lets just do a little maths here, Legend came out in 2006 and was a reboot(changed her origin story, changed her character, fine), this is 2010 and it's another reboot. That's five years. This is getting ridiculous. If they base this within their current canon I'll be happy because they have a nice mythology going. (Yes ok, on paper the fact that by end of the trilogy Lara is in possession of Excalibur (2 of them) and Thor's Hammer which were built by the Atlanteans, sounds a little daft but come on, it's fun!)

If this is another 'dark, gritty, origin story' which attempts to be 'realistic' someones going to have their house blown up by an evil, Atlantean Doppelganger...

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
Woodsey said:
Seneschal said:
Woodsey said:
Isn't it? A friend called it "final-fantasy-like" because it's gender-bendingly confusing. I mean, she's very pretty, but she has a jaw like Kratos.
I can see stubble too - look at the upper lip.
Nah, you're just an idiot. Maybe you want to see a dude.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Ah foo. I was hoping for something interesting from that teaser in last months issue. Oh well, life goes on.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
If you listen reallllly hard, you can hear Laura Croft crying, begging to be left alone.

Seriously, making a *few* sequels is one thing but this is pushing the limit way too far...

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
welll...i dunno. i was hoping theyd continue the underworld, anniversary, legend track. im quite a fan of those games. i hope they dont completley ditch the way they did those games. well ill wait and see. but if this turns into far cry, ima be pissed, and they certainly arent getting my money. also yeah, if she is american, im out from the get go.

JakBandit2208

Jun 11, 2009
I haven't played a Tomb Raider game since 3 came out so I don't know what to think about this yet.