Tomb Raider Reboot/Origin Story On Its Way

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
For.I.Am.Mad said:
Woodsey said:
Seneschal said:
Woodsey said:
Why is there a metrosexual, 19-year-old guy on the front of a Tomb Raider poster?
Isn't it? A friend called it "final-fantasy-like" because it's gender-bendingly confusing. I mean, she's very pretty, but she has a jaw like Kratos.
I can see stubble too - look at the upper lip.
Nah, you're just an idiot. Maybe you want to see a dude.
It was a joke fuck face, although the dirt does look like stubble.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
JeanLuc761 said:
Woodsey said:
Seneschal said:
Woodsey said:
Why is there a metrosexual, 19-year-old guy on the front of a Tomb Raider poster?
Isn't it? A friend called it "final-fantasy-like" because it's gender-bendingly confusing. I mean, she's very pretty, but she has a jaw like Kratos.
I can see stubble too - look at the upper lip.
Relatively certain that's dirt.

A-yup.
MANLY LORA.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
MANLY LORA.
I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only person here who thinks she looks flat-out gorgeous with her new look, AND doesn't think she looks manly at all.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
Hm...I'm a Tomb Raider 'fan' of old (like most, having been often disappointed by anything after TRIV), and I'm interested, I'll admit.

The Lara on that cover looks a little, er, manly though. While, as girl, I don't like the BOOBS ARE EVERYTHING mentality, I have always liked the way Lara didn't let her femininity get in the way - sure, she was physically unrealistic and a bit homicidal, but at least she was true to herself =P I've never really worried too much about her origins, since they change practically every game, but I just hope they keep the essential 'Lara' attitude.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
See, Tomb Raider Legend was great. TOMB RAIDER UNDERWORLD WAS SHIT. HOW DID YOU RUIN LEGEND!? UP YOURS CRYSTAL DYNAMICS, NEVER FOOL ME AGAIN!

Aug 25, 2009
Okay I'm intrigued.

I've always been honest about how much of a fan I am of the Tomb Raider (TR3 was my first ever game Lara is the best heroine derpy derpy doo) and this sounds like it could be really good, especially for the fans, and maybe even bring some new people in.

I think in terms of story Crystal Dynamics have actually been doing quite nicely, and the ongoing thing with the doppelganger could be really interesting when it's finished, and I demand some sort of final show-down with Amanda, because that would be awesome. If they could now add a definite beginning to the story it should round things out quite nicely, and once they've finished off the current storyline leave Lara open to new stories unrelated to the Legend/Anniversary/Underworld thing. Sort of like Guardian of Light but in classic TR style.

The only demand I have (besides a good story) is a slightly more open level of platforming. It's all quite fun when you're bouncing around on ancient artifacts and picking up treasure but eventualy you do start thinking that you're just being led around on a choke chain. Repeated play-throughs start really just feeling like you're going through the motions. With a more open exploration based feel to things (maybe when you're trying to survive you could have to go out and find things you need to survive) it would feel a lot better.

Michael Ellis

Jul 12, 2010
marioman360 said:
Was i the only one who enjoyed Tomb Raider Legend & Underworld?
Of course not, but these people would rather play overhyped junk like Uncharted than Prince of Persia with guns...

Sleepingzombie

Dec 7, 2009
I like the look and in my opinion she looks more strong like this. If the game turns out to be a survival game, I will be very interested.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
marioman360 said:
Was i the only one who enjoyed Tomb Raider Legend & Underworld?
Nope, I quite liked them too.

One thing intrests me primarily over the news over the reboot, how and where did she get that bow? She just happened to be be traveling with it at the time? One doesnt just happen to find a modern bow lying around on an island.

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
At least the company is sticking with the "Tomb Raider" title. I thought they were going to drop it permanently when Guardian of Light came out. This sounds promising and I think I'll suspend my skepticism for this one.

LisaB1138

Oct 5, 2007
MelasZepheos said:
and once they've finished off the current storyline leave Lara open to new stories unrelated to the Legend/Anniversary/Underworld thing. Sort of like Guardian of Light but in classic TR style.
I keep hearing people say things like this, "now we can have "classic TR type games once this game is over."

What on earth was stopping Crystal Dynamics from doing that with this game? Why must we always some personal, emotional trauma storyline? Couldn't they have just as easily wrote a "classic" story for this game and implemented some of these ideas in that game?

I don't think Crystal Dynamics has any interest in a Tomb Raider story about tomb raiding. I they only want to write Lara Croft stories.

Aug 25, 2009
LisaB1138 said:
MelasZepheos said:
and once they've finished off the current storyline leave Lara open to new stories unrelated to the Legend/Anniversary/Underworld thing. Sort of like Guardian of Light but in classic TR style.
I keep hearing people say things like this, "now we can have "classic TR type games once this game is over."

What on earth was stopping Crystal Dynamics from doing that with this game? Why must we always some personal, emotional trauma storyline? Couldn't they have just as easily wrote a "classic" story for this game and implemented some of these ideas in that game?

I don't think Crystal Dynamics has any interest in a Tomb Raider story about tomb raiding. I they only want to write Lara Croft stories.
You misunderstand me. When I said 'classic TR style' I meant third person over the shoulder clambering on ancient architecture platforming. I was referring to gameplay, not story.

I like the story, I want to see more Lara Croft stories, and frankly the Tomb Raiding thing hasn't been accurate since the second game, so the further we move away from that element of the story and maybe focus on the main character the happier I'll be.