Tomb Raider Review - An Icon Reborn

jcfrommars9

Feb 22, 2013
Susan Arendt said:
Sushewakka said:
I have a very important question about this game.

Can this
be done?
No, not quite. But you can die in exceedingly gruesome ways. Not quite like that, though...more broken tree limb through the gut, that sort of thing.
My personal favorite was falling into the river and being slammed against the very sharp rocks underwater.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Sushewakka said:
I have a very important question about this game.

Can this
be done?
This made me laugh. Not the gif (I am not a sadist *rolls eyes*), just the fact that you put it as a "very important question".

I get the mental image of somebody going into a shop and going:

Customer: "Excuse me, is it possible to commit suicide by diving off of ledges in this game?"
Game shop employee: "Uh, no..."
Customer: "Oh well, guess I will have to give it a miss."

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Edl01 said:
I admit I am really looking forward to this game. However I am kind of worried by the suggestion the that the tombs are not very puzzle-y in this game since the puzzle's bar a few silly ones are what make Tomb Raider stand out.

Hopefully the combat will make up for the simplified puzzles if that is the case.

To me Tomb Raider has always been a game with a smug protagonist exploring ancient civilisations, it is primarily a platformer with some shooting elements. Oh and everyone says it is sexist.
Uncharted has always been a game with a smug protagonist exploring ancient civilisations, it is primarily a shooter with some platforming elements. Oh and everyone says the main character is racist.

To me I have always been a fan of tomb raider because I like platformers, however this game appears to be a move toward the Uncharted way of things.
The tombs are puzzly (puzzley?) but they are very small. Petite, even. And there are, in my opinion, just not enough of them.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
I really like the look of the new Tomb Raider, however I am really more interested in what comes next. I understand a more limited scope for reintroducing the audience to this character, but I hope future installments really open up the environments, especially with the next gen on the horizon.

Maybe I am just looking for something that tomb raider isn't, but I would love to see a heavier emphasis on exploring in much larger environments. I think this is something I would want to pick up along with the next installment, though I will probably pick it up long before than.

southparkdudez

Feb 7, 2010
Can't wait, when I first heard they where making a new Tomb Raider I was like "Really a new bland game with a bland character" Then I saw what the did with Lara and it intriged me. March 5th can't come any faster.

Sushewakka

Jul 4, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
No, not quite. But you can die in exceedingly gruesome ways. Not quite like that, though...more broken tree limb through the gut, that sort of thing.
Oh well. The slapstick "Looney toon" humour will be missed.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
*ponders*

Hmm... perhaps I might have to give this a glance after all. The last TR game I played was the original back in the mid 90's. It wasn't really my thing and I remember being horribly bad at it (I was like 10 when I played it, probably even younger). Might still have the disc somewhere, actually.

Point is I did not give a toss about this game at all, nor any other from this franchise. Perhaps this one might be worth a peek. Not a buy yet because I don't buy new releases unless I am 110% certain I will like it, but a peek. :eek:

Also I hope Susan continues to roast trolls in this thread. Reading that above was funny.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Chrono212 said:
Although a bit premature, will this new series end up where the original ended? Just hypothesising.

Is there an open over-world? Or specific areas that are kind of open-ish?

Nice video review, especially with the juxtaposition of the previous games.
But coz I'm a sucker for games with stories, I'm picking this up. It'll be my first Tomb Raider, since the others did look too silly towards the end.
This will be my first Tomb Raider to, i never thought there was a lot of story with the previous games, it was just "go to tomb, get Artifact, get out...ooh and kill 1 or 2 things along the way" but this one seems fairly enjoyable, nice to see it's a reboot as well. something the series has long needed.

Also, at least Lara seems human in this...

Epic Bear Man

Feb 5, 2013
Random question for everyone; when you're on the front page, do you have the video link consuming 3/4ths of the page as well? I'm on Google Chrome and I've refreshed the page several times, but it's still consuming most of the screen.

I also ran it on Firefox, and the issue was still prevalent. If the Escapist could fix it soon, that'd be great.

Edit: It's been fixed! Ignore this comment.

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
It's good that you didn't get to play the multiplayer before the review, it wouldn't have gotten the 5 stars in that case :) .