Tomb Raider Review - An Icon Reborn

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Tomb Raider Review - An Icon Reborn

Welcome back, Ms. Croft. We've missed you.

Read Full Article

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Hm, interesting. I did want to give this game a try, when does it come out? (googles it) Ten days? Ok then, I'll give it a shot.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
Not much to say in this review...is this just the review style or was the game just that bland apart from the hints of emotional growth that was mentioned

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
IronMit said:
Not much to say in this review...is this just the review style or was the game just that bland apart from the hints of emotional growth that was mentioned
My guess is that the review is trying to avoid spoilers like the plague.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Although a bit premature, will this new series end up where the original ended? Just hypothesising.

Is there an open over-world? Or specific areas that are kind of open-ish?

Nice video review, especially with the juxtaposition of the previous games.
But coz I'm a sucker for games with stories, I'm picking this up. It'll be my first Tomb Raider, since the others did look too silly towards the end.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Don't buy the hype. I've watched streams of this game. This game is terribly bland, has shoehorned multiplayer, and while I LIKE that they tried to characterize Laura so we can see her grow from a normal person into this badass survivalist we all know, they kick it to the EXTREME side, making her an incompitant sack of potatoes that needs to get hauled around by her big strong manly mentor for the first half. Oh, and the rest of the cast is unlikable and stupid to the extreme.

I suggest waiting for more reviews to come in, particularly user reviews, before making your decision.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
TsunamiWombat said:
Don't buy the hype. I've watched streams of this game. This game is terribly bland, has shoehorned multiplayer, and while I LIKE that they tried to characterize Laura so we can see her grow from a normal person into this badass survivalist we all know, they kick it to the EXTREME side, making her an incompitant sack of potatoes that needs to get hauled around by her big strong manly mentor for the first half. Oh, and the rest of the cast is unlikable and stupid to the extreme.

I suggest waiting for more reviews to come in, particularly user reviews, before making your decision.
I'm going to wait for zero punctuation and maybe PC gamer. They labelled a recent gameplay reveal as '11 minute corridor of death' so I think I'm on the same page as them

edit. Ohh damn. check out machinima review of this game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWQMMlCCEuU

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
erttheking said:
IronMit said:
My guess is that the review is trying to avoid spoilers like the plague.
Yep. I don't want to give away a single aspect of the story. I wouldn't dream of robbing players of the delight of surprise.

DVS BSTrD said:
Why would that be jarring? The dear isn't trying rape me or kill my friends. But is there a multi-player mode where you get to play as a T-Rex?
No-one is trying to rape you. But killing is difficult - whether it's an animal or a human - and in fact Lara is very seriously affected by the first human she kills - in the cutscene, anyway. In the gameplay, she's picking off guys left and right without any problem at all. It's the difference between the character as governed by the story and the character as avatar for the player. The two are somewhat at odds when it comes to the combat. It's certainly not a reason to avoid the game, but it does stand out.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
User reviews. Urgh.

I laugh at the notion of basing actual purchasing decisions on those manic, poorly written displays of blatant agendas.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
This is the first one in the rebooted series. It makes sense that they would try to make it appeal to a wider audience. I only hope next installments will be more like the old games with more puzzles and tombs. I didn't mind the unrealistic approach. Isn't that what the most fun games are about?

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
When you think of Lara Croft, you probably think about her trekking through the jungle, cartwheeling her way through trap-riddled tombs and gleefully picking off bad guys, twin pistols ablaze.
Yep, and I'm perfectly fine with that. I'm 95% sure before I play this that it will be focused on giving us an origins story of Lara instead of good puzzles, and this will be purely a self-conscious reaction against the criticism of Lara's plastic image.

Who cares about the characters and the story? I don't. TR is about the platforming and the puzzles. Why change?

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes! I was so worried the concept was going to be wasted on a bad game

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
Hmm so can this be safely stamped as a game with a solid female protagonist? Would love to add it to the growing pile of games that can be thrown at feminists/politically-correct-twats to make them shut up :p

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
This game was on the periphery of my gaming radar but now I'm interested again. After all the controversies with the developers comments and videos, I was a bit worried. Now, as a Lara Craft newb (never wanted to start those games with the seriously oversized breasts), I may pick it up.

Well, once I finish a few games in my backlog. It is really getting out of control.

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Wait, so you're telling me there's no giant octopus boss battle? Hmm... I might have to skip this one.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Why even call her Lara Croft? If they wanted to tell a new story in the Tomb Raider setting with a brand new character, then why didn't they just do it? She isn't anything like her except in her name: She doesn't act like her or sound like her and she barely resembles her.

While the new Lara might be good (some might like her better, which is fine), this seems like a slap in the face for everyone who liked Lara Croft and the Tomb Raider franchise before.

I'll pass on this one.