Tomb Raider Taps True Blood Actress For Lara

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Tomb Raider Taps True Blood Actress For Lara

For the first time, the same actress will provide motion and voice for Lara Croft.

The voice - and for that matter also the rest her - of Lara Croft in Tomb Raider shall be Berkshire-born actress Camilla Luddington, game developer Crystal Dynamics has revealed. Luddington, whose roles include True Blood (Claudette) and Royals made-for-TV movie William & Kate, has been living and working in the US for six years, and this is her first video game role. It's also the first time that voice and motion capture for Lara have been provided by the same actress.

Crystal Dynamics studio head Darrell Gallagher said that getting Lara right was the most important part of the game, and the studio was very happy to be working with Luddington. "This Tomb Raider game is very different to any other," he said, "and we are demanding far more from the voice acting than ever before." Luddington is slated to meet the game world at the next San Diego Comic-Con, where she'll be talking about her role in more detail.

Tomb Raider is Lara's origin story, currently more infamous for its trailer - and the near-rape scene - than its plot. The survival narrative features Lara post-shipwreck, struggling to survive in a hostile island environment. The trailer featured mostly in-game footage, so Luddington's acting skills have already been on display; we just didn't have a name to put to a face.

No word from Luddington herself yet, as she's recovering from England's 4-2 defeat at the hands of Italy in Euro 2012; "Sorry but I wanna to turn the whole Italian team into a human centipede" was her reaction.

Source & Image: Guardian [http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2012/jun/26/camilla-luddington-new-lara-croft]

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
No word from Luddington herself yet, as she's recovering from England's 4-2 defeat at the hands of Italy in Euro 2012; "Sorry but I wanna to turn the whole Italian team into a human centipede" was her reaction.
That's... creative?

The Tomb Raider games have never been interesting in any capacity to me. I wonder how on Earth this is any different than the others, outside of the marketing department's collective imagination.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
I still wonder how the game will work as an Origin Story after Legend.
[sub]Also I don't mean to be picky or a nit but you missed the t in studio in the first sentence of the second paragraph.[/sub]

Captcha: politically correct -.-

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
CJ1145 said:
That's... creative?

The Tomb Raider games have never been interesting in any capacity to me. I wonder how on Earth this is any different than the others, outside of the marketing department's collective imagination.
As a fan, what I'm wondering so far is how on Earth this can be considered part of the same series.

And I love it. :D

Karloff said:
I like this girl already.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Nile McMorrow said:
I still wonder how the game will work as an Origin Story after Legend.
[sub]Also I don't mean to be picky or a nit but you missed the t in studio in the first sentence of the second paragraph.[/sub]

Captcha: politically correct -.-
Ta! ;)

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
May I tap her after they're finished with her please? No? Oh ok... /creepy

Not seen True Blood or Royals but Im hoping that her 6 years in the Americas hasn't dulled her English accent too much.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
... I feel I should uh, Google her for umm... more information on err... y'know, like umm, her acting experience and... uh...

Aug 25, 2009
CJ1145 said:
That's... creative?

If they've never been interesting in any capacity then why did you read and then comment on a News Article clearly labelled as pertaining to Tomb Raider?

I saw a bit of her in that Royals thing while I was channel hopping, and she didn't seem utterly terrible. Also, that human centipede thing made me chuckle, which is more than Lara's previous voice actors have done.

I've made my position on this game about as clear as is possible. I'm a fan, I will buy it, and I will enjoy it.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
So are they revealing her now after her work so far? Or is the voice we've been hearing in the trailer and scenes just been a stand-in? I am so confused!
True Blood sounds like a show I would be into, if I wasn't already tired of vampires being done to death already.
Karloff said:
Makes sense, when you consider Sweden's reactions to Euro 2012 as portrayed here:
http://satwcomic.com/eurovision-2012

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
animehermit said:
Woodsey said:
... I feel I should uh, Google her for umm... more information on err... y'know, like umm, her acting experience and... uh...
What you find will be glorious, my friend. She was on Californication...for an entire season...Yeah.
...My brain simply refuses to accept that there is a show called "Californication".

Was she able to act while on the show, though?

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
MelasZepheos said:
If they've never been interesting in any capacity then why did you read and then comment on a News Article clearly labelled as pertaining to Tomb Raider?
1. Because I am interested in what this game is doing to differentiate itself from prior titles, as this article claims it is trying to do. Because it might garner my interest if it were different in some capacity.

2. The internet is a free place, and no one has any more right to talk about anything than anyone else.

Both are valid reasons, you may select which you prefer.

Sep 14, 2009
animehermit said:
Woodsey said:
What you find will be glorious, my friend. She was on Californication...for an entire season...Yeah.
andddd....I'm spent.

glorious indeed.

OT: Might have to check this out more once some footage/gameplay comes out, she seemed alright when i channel flipped and caught a bit of true blood.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
So are they revealing her now after her work so far? Or is the voice we've been hearing in the trailer and scenes just been a stand-in? I am so confused!
This. And they've already clearly motion captured a lot of stuff. I thought this game was too far along to be deciding actresses now

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Woodsey said:
lol, you sure do find some interesting......things about her. very in.... nice things :p

ok, this besides, her voice seems to be alright though. she still sounds british, with a small hint of american in it. as always, she is now a hot topic in the TR forum.
never watched any of the TV shows. so she is totally new to me. she sure is gorgeous.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
BrotherRool said:
samsonguy920 said:
This. And they've already clearly motion captured a lot of stuff. I thought this game was too far along to be deciding actresses now
samsonguy920 said:
True Blood sounds like a show I would be into, if I wasn't already tired of vampires being done to death already.
Karloff said:
Makes sense, when you consider Sweden's reactions to Euro 2012 as portrayed here:
It's her in the trailer, they just hadn't announced it before.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
samsonguy920 said:
Karloff said:
That's Eurovision, not Euro 2012.

Meh, I wonder why they didn't reveal her sooner.