Tomb Raider Wii Glitch Kills Ending - UPDATED

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
Tomb Raider Wii Glitch Kills Ending - UPDATED

Hope you didn't feel like beating the game anytime soon.

A glitch in the Wii version of Tomb Raider: Underworld has sprouted up [http://kotaku.com/5098786/tomb-raider-glitch-ruins-wii-adventures], making it impossible for some players to complete the game without jimmy rigging it or re-playing potentially large portions of the adventure.

In the Coastal Thailand area of the game, Lara must take a crazy leap [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WmI83LYFWE&eurl=http://kotaku.com/5098786/tomb-raider-glitch-ruins-wii-adventures] from a rock outcropping to latch onto a pole and use her bodyweight to pull it down - opening the passageway to the next area in the process. Apparently, the crucial lever is sometimes absent in the Wii version of the game, causing Lara to splash down into mucky waters without the ability to proceed.

Rather than offering to replace affected games, Eidos Interactive has taken a slapdash approach to solving the problem. It suggests players either a) re-load from a previous save point or b) use an SD card to download a set of saves the company is providing to bypass the glitch. The latter wipes out any treasures you've collected along the way. Neither solution is particularly preferable.

UPDATE - In an official statement issued today on the matter, Eidos said the problem is an "extremely infrequent" bug that will occur on rare occasion.

"Eidos sincerely apologizes to anyone who has experienced this frustrating problem," the publisher said in a press statement. "The quality of our games is paramount to us, and the Nintendo Wii version of Tomb Raider: Underworld went through three separate QA testing departments prior to release. Regrettably, anomalies such as this do occur occasionally in videogames, despite the best efforts by publishers to avoid them."

Eidos is encouraging anyone who encounters the problem to visit this website [http://www.eidosinteractive.co.uk/support/worldmap.html].

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
That sounds like a pretty critical glitch there. Not one playtester encountered it? ;/

nimrandir

Oct 30, 2008
I have yet to purchase the game, but I hope the game tells you what you are supposed to do in that area. Should there be a spoiler warning?

jh322

May 14, 2008
This is the reason the wii should be left alone. If you have to break a game to put it on the wii, att. tomb raider, pro evo, SW: force unleashed, then just let the wii have wii fit, wii sports, zelda (which got a bit broken anyway) and other stuff that wii owners really want. It's NOT a serious console. Serious games don't work on it. It's great at what it does, so let it do that.

shadowbird

Feb 22, 2007
Now I know why I'm getting the PC version. :) Though I would have expected that with all the new consoles having Internet access, releasing download-able patches would be as normal as on PCs...

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
jh322 said:
This is the reason the wii should be left alone. If you have to break a game to put it on the wii, att. tomb raider, pro evo, SW: force unleashed, then just let the wii have wii fit, wii sports, zelda (which got a bit broken anyway) and other stuff that wii owners really want. It's NOT a serious console. Serious games don't work on it. It's great at what it does, so let it do that.
So a glitch in a single Wii game means that is not a serious console... Then what about for example Oblivion? That game was full of (game breaking) glitches. Does that mean that the PS3 and XBox 360 are no serious consoles as well?

internutt

Aug 27, 2008
I remember the days when games were tested thoroughly before launch. Such a serious glitch would never have made it past the testing stage.

I know developers aren't serious about the Wii, but shoddy programming like this has no excuse.

Lance Icarus

Oct 12, 2007
I don't remember the last time I've heard a publisher say that they totally did their best but you're screwed now. "We went through three QA Testing Departments before release." Well that's just super, but a game where parts of the level don't freaking show up is a broken game.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
internutt said:
I remember the days when games were tested thoroughly before launch. Such a serious glitch would never have made it past the testing stage.
When were these halcyon days of gaming? 'Cos I sure don't remember them...

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Lukeje said:
I think he's remembering the halcyon days when game code was simple enough that even a half-arsed QA by the two guys who wrote the game could catch the worst of the bugs.

-- Steve

Feb 13, 2008
Anton P. Nym said:
Lukeje said:
I think he's remembering the halcyon days when game code was simple enough that even a half-arsed QA by the two guys who wrote the game could catch the worst of the bugs.

-- Steve
Like the Banyan Tree?

jh322

May 14, 2008
Aardvark Soup said:
jh322 said:
So a glitch in a single Wii game means that is not a serious console... Then what about for example Oblivion? That game was full of (game breaking) glitches. Does that mean that the PS3 and XBox 360 are no serious consoles as well?

good thinking batman! oh wait...i mean..nice trolling there. Oblivion is one example, virtually every multi-platform game released on the wii has had to be broken in many ways, mostly because its hardware is completely inferior. The wii, much like its name, is funny, a bit stupid, and gets old very quickly. It's not a serious console. It's not a console for gamers. This is not the point of the thread. If you want to have an actual discussion about this, feel free to message me, but really, I think you're just being pedantic.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
is this only for the wii version? because i wanted to buy it, but i dont have a wii, im getting the other version
am i safe?!? :(

ima420r

Aug 14, 2008
If the Wii had the ability to update games, like the other systems, this wouldn't be much of a problem. They could release a patch and with an intraweb connection it could be fixed. Now, however, they will have to patch the game and press it to disc again to fix the glitch.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
jh322 said:
Aardvark Soup said:
jh322 said:

good thinking batman! oh wait...i mean..nice trolling there. Oblivion is one example, virtually every multi-platform game released on the wii has had to be broken in many ways, mostly because its hardware is completely inferior. The wii, much like its name, is funny, a bit stupid, and gets old very quickly. It's not a serious console. It's not a console for gamers. This is not the point of the thread. If you want to have an actual discussion about this, feel free to message me, but really, I think you're just being pedantic.
The Wii actually is a pretty good console with a lot of great games on it. Of course it has its flaws: like a lot more shovelware and casual games, online gaming is severely lacking and some game genres are underrepresented on it. But opposed to that you also have a lot of very fun and innovative titles and, of course, the Virtual Console. Which has an enormous library with many great classics for the real so-called 'hardcore gamer'.

The Wii, XBox 360 and PlayStation 3 all have their own pros and cons but they all have, in my opinion, a lot of great games. Saying that one of them isn't 'for real gamers' reeks like fanboyism.