Tommy Wiseau on a copyright binge... Again.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
https://twitter.com/Drive_the_Tacos/status/767989733536456704

Wiseau is known for the film known as "The Room". Considered one of the best worst films ever made, he's also known to be a prima Donna such as when he went on a copyright binge back in 2010. He even took down an interview he had with CA on their channel.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Well that's a shame. Both I Hate Everything and Nostalgia Critic said he was a good sport, but he's just another **** that seems brain damaged. I'm sure it's hardly an issue for both the critics though since they've dealt with this crap so many times before probably.

I don't know what else to say. Fuck Youtube?

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Maybe he'll get sued. I know The Bible Reloaded is suing a christian film company that tried to take down their channel. It feels like both IP owners and video creators are upping the anty against one another. It's only a matter of time until this gets shoved into the spotlight.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
No idea who you're talking about. I think that's part of the problem.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
mardocOz said:
FalloutJack said:
You're tearing me apart, FalloutJack.
Hey, not only do I rarely keep track of who's who in directing and acting, overall, but I ALSO haven't had anybody recommending it to me for reasons. And since I don' recall hearing about it normally, I would say that both media and word of mouth have failed to deliver impact vis-a-vis The Room. Sorry.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
FalloutJack said:
Its a dumb movie that people willingly subject themselves to because...I dunno group pain or something? Its like a new Rocky Horror Picture Show, but without the Meatloaf cameo, so why fucking bother?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
FalloutJack said:
mardocOz said:
FalloutJack said:
You're tearing me apart, FalloutJack.
Hey, not only do I rarely keep track of who's who in directing and acting, overall, but I ALSO haven't had anybody recommending it to me for reasons. And since I don' recall hearing about it normally, I would say that both media and word of mouth have failed to deliver impact vis-a-vis The Room. Sorry.
You'd really only know about it, at this point, by people who are into making fun of bad movies. Fans of Mystery Science Theater 3000, or Rifftrax for example. Because it's a terrible movie, and the only reason anyone knows about it, is the "omg you HAVE to watch this movie! It's so terrible it's great!" Cult classic kind of thing. So if that's not your deal, then yeah, doesn't surprise me you've never seen/heard of it.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
FalloutJack said:
He directed and starred in a film called The Room. It's considered one of the best "so bad it's good" films ever made. Here's a scene that he's in to get how bad it is:

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Silentpony said:
Its a dumb movie that people willingly subject themselves to because...I dunno group pain or something? Its like a new Rocky Horror Picture Show, but without the Meatloaf cameo, so why fucking bother?
I object to anyone comparing anything to Rocky Horror.

Happyninja42 said:
You'd really only know about it, at this point, by people who are into making fun of bad movies. Fans of Mystery Science Theater 3000, or Rifftrax for example. Because it's a terrible movie, and the only reason anyone knows about it, is the "omg you HAVE to watch this movie! It's so terrible it's great!" Cult classic kind of thing. So if that's not your deal, then yeah, doesn't surprise me you've never seen/heard of it.
Uh, I AM a fan of MST3K and Riff Trax. I went out to see Mothra just the other day. Still nothin'. Sometimes, you miss.

RaikuFA said:
FalloutJack said:
He directed and starred in a film called The Room. It's considered one of the best "so bad it's good" films ever made. Here's a scene that he's in to get how bad it is:

Is it possible that it's just bad? I thought the criteria for bad-good was Bruce Campball.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Is it possible that it's just bad? I thought the criteria for bad-good was Bruce Campball.
I dunno. Truthfully, I couldn't even finish the movie. It's so boring. My only exposure to it was reviews online.

And yes they did a Rocky Horror type thing at some theatres. Don't know if they still do. Only thing I remember from hearing about it was people throw spoons at the screen.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
FalloutJack said:
te]

Uh, I AM a fan of MST3K and Riff Trax. I went out to see Mothra just the other day. Still nothin'. Sometimes, you miss.
Then I've got no clue, because in that circle of entertainment, it was the hot shit for years. Rifftrax even did a live Riffing of it. Theaters now play it regularly, like the Rocky Horror Show, and invite the audience to bring props to interact with the film. You somehow fell into a several years long null space in the Riffing community if you never heard of it at all. Which is impressive in itself, considering the hype of it in that circle.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
I did not strike you, I did naaaaaaaaaaawt.
Oh hi lawyers.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Happyninja42 said:
FalloutJack said:
te]

Then I've got no clue, because in that circle of entertainment, it was the hot shit for years. Rifftrax even did a live Riffing of it. Theaters now play it regularly, like the Rocky Horror Show, and invite the audience to bring props to interact with the film. You somehow fell into a several years long null space in the Riffing community if you never heard of it at all. Which is impressive in itself, considering the hype of it in that circle.
Hype is not an omnipresent force. Because 'You're never the only one', there's a bunch of people who missed it.

Cap'nPipsqueak

Jul 2, 2016
FalloutJack said:
Happyninja42 said:
FalloutJack said:
te]

Hype is not an omnipresent force. Because 'You're never the only one', there's a bunch of people who missed it.
We should create a bunch of short videos and name them 'The Room' just to see if they get tagged.

Be funny as hell to troll him like that.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Cap said:
FalloutJack said:
Happyninja42 said:
FalloutJack said:
te]

We should create a bunch of short videos and name them 'The Room' just to see if they get tagged.

Make 'em all recordings of an empty room, nothing happening at all.

Fox12

Jun 6, 2013
FalloutJack said:
Cap said:
FalloutJack said:
Happyninja42 said:
FalloutJack said:
te]

You could even claim it was some avante garde film project. A court would probably buy that bullshit.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Fox12 said:
FalloutJack said:
Cap said:
FalloutJack said:
Happyninja42 said:
FalloutJack said:
te]

You could even claim it was some avante garde film project. A court would probably buy that bullshit.

You could also claim that you've never heard of The Room. I didn't!

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Fox12 said:
Maybe he'll get sued. I know The Bible Reloaded is suing a christian film company that tried to take down their channel. It feels like both IP owners and video creators are upping the anty against one another. It's only a matter of time until this gets shoved into the spotlight.
Yeah, but Hugo and Jake aren't going to lose that fight in a million years (unless, as their counsel said, they get a Christian judge who rules against them out of spite due to their content). Only a blind idiot would disagree that the Christiano Brothers group is REALLY taking it too far this time. Two of their new DMCA claims are on videos in which Hugo and Jake were discussing the earlier DMCA claims that the Christiano group filed against them - claims that, in time, they successfully countered. The two videos in question contained absolutely no stills, no clips, no audio, no music, nothing at all from the content they're accused of stealing.

Between their legal battle and Jim Sterling's lawsuit with DigiHom, I hope SOMETHING changes. These fights are getting ugly, and they're threatening the legality of valid criticism. If DigiHom or the Christiano group wins, it'll be a sad day for intellectualism and consumer protection.

Fox12

Jun 6, 2013
Ten Foot Bunny said:
Fox12 said:
Yeah, but Hugo and Jake aren't going to lose that fight in a million years (unless, as their counsel said, they get a Christian judge who rules against them out of spite due to their content). Only a blind idiot would disagree that the Christiano Brothers group is REALLY taking it too far this time. Two of their new DMCA claims are on videos in which Hugo and Jake were discussing the earlier DMCA claims that the Christiano group filed against them - claims that, in time, they successfully countered. The two videos in question contained absolutely no stills, no clips, no audio, no music, nothing at all from the content they're accused of stealing.

Between their legal battle and Jim Sterling's lawsuit with DigiHom, I hope SOMETHING changes. These fights are getting ugly, and they're threatening the legality of valid criticism. If DigiHom or the Christiano group wins, it'll be a sad day for intellectualism and consumer protection.
It seems like there have been a slew of lawsuits against youtube content creators lately as well. I can think of at least three lawsuits or attempted lawsuits in the last two months or so. It wouldn't surprise me at all if corporations pushed back hard, even to the point where they claim ownership over criticism of an IP. Never underestimate the stupidity of the MPAA. They tried to sue someone for more money then exists on the planet once. It's quite worrying.

If things do get worse then I think Google/youtube need to put their money where their mouth is. Their business model is dependent on this too, after all.