Tomorrow War on Amazon Prime

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA

The Escapist Critic hated it. I see it's flaws and agree with a lot of the criticism here. Even so, I had a blast and suggest you watch it if you have the opportunity.

As the Escapist Review notes, this is like 3 movies rather than one. How to summarize? Watch the trailer.

Great visuals, fantastic 5.1 sound if you have a home theater. Better than we deserve for home theater.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Reminded me of Army of the Dead. Slow, dull, way too long, bland characters, boilerplate "You weren't there for me" dad/daughter tripe, needlessly convoluted, pathetic attempts at humor, expensive yet somehow cheap looking, just another fun idea wasted in the most uncreative way possible.

OblongYellow

Alien ID: Oblong Yellow 47
Jun 23, 2021
Country
United Kingdom
Reminded me of Army of the Dead. Slow, dull, way too long, bland characters, boilerplate "You weren't there for me" dad/daughter tripe, needlessly convoluted, pathetic attempts at humor, expensive yet somehow cheap looking, just another fun idea wasted in the most uncreative way possible.
Exactly my thoughts on Army of the Dead. I expected a lot from it since my flatmates were saying they heard it was really good but throughout the film I kept waiting for the greatness of it to surprise me but nothing. The expectation in the beginning of the film was pretty okay but as it progressed, it just fell down to something really bad.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I got about 15 minutes in before deciding to stop watching, and I rarely do that. It felt like a very "try-hard" movie.

EDIT: I think it's Chris Pratt for me. Ever since his role as Andy in Parks & Recreation, a character who embodies Flanderization more than most, and his character in the recent, godawful Jurassic Park films; I can't unsee him as the oafish idiot I know him best as, so I can't really take him seriously in a serious role, particularly one with such an eye-rolling premise like this latest fodder. Yeah, this movie had a couple of strikes against it before I ever hit play. I might actually try to finish it one day, but there will have to be several drinks involved; gotta bring my IQ down to the level it was written for.

Last edited:

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
While I take Darrens opinions with a grain of salt because hes the kind of critic that thinks its ok that The Last Jedi was a storyboard trainwreck because it subverted star wars or whatever, the Escapist review lined up with my concerns and Pitch Meeting - that it was a nonsensical slog which is the worst kind of film for me so I passed. I suppose I need to sit down and justify watching it, but I just can't bring myself to do it because on top of being boring I just feel like I've seen this before. If its confirmed theres not even a crazy twist to this whole thing...blegh. Don't want to.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
All the stupidity of Edge of Tomorrow with all the stupidity of Starship Troopers, with none of the cleverness of the former and none of the irony of the later.
I just watched it. This is the most perfect summation of the whole movie.

I got about 15 minutes in before deciding to stop watching, and I rarely do that. It felt like a very "try-hard" movie.

EDIT: I think it's Chris Pratt for me. Ever since his role as Andy in Parks & Recreation, a character who embodies Flanderization more than most, and his character in the recent, godawful Jurassic Park films; I can't unsee him as the oafish idiot I know him best as, so I can't really take him seriously in a serious role, particularly one with such an eye-rolling premise like this latest fodder. Yeah, this movie had a couple of strikes against it before I ever hit play. I might actually try to finish it one day, but there will have to be several drinks involved; gotta bring my IQ down to the level it was written for.
Honestly, I tend to like Chris Pratt in things but he wasn't good in this movie. Every scene that he was it he seemed out of place. Like he was acting in a completely different movie and his scenes just got spliced into Tomorrow War.

In fact, I don't think I liked any of the actors in this. It felt like they just got a bunch of TV actors together for a high budget movie and then didn't let them reherse at all before filming.