Tomorrowland Teaser: First Look at Disney's Science-Utopia

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Tomorrowland Teaser: First Look at Disney's Science-Utopia

Brad Bird's top-secret futuristic Disney adventure teases the magic of science

Disney has released the teaser for Brad Bird's Tomorrowland, the first film to be based on an entire Disneyland/World "region" rather than an individual attraction.

The film's actual plot has been a closely-guarded secret, originally teased by Bird and writer Damon Lindelof claiming to have discovered a HitFix's Drew McWeeny [http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/01/28/disneys-1952-is-tomorrowland/] have explored rumors and conjecture as to its actual premise to varying (possibly spoiler-filled) results.

According to more recent coverage, the premise is closer to a kid-friendly cousin of Atlas Shrugged (or a "happy" version of start again [http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/10/08/first-look-george-clooney-is-a-man-out-of-time-in-disneys-tomorrowland/]) who is granted a glimpse at a hidden city called "Tomorrowland" where science and futurism continued to flourish. She seeks out a mysterious inventor (George Clooney) who may hold the key to her going there for real. Some have speculated that Walt Disney himself will figure into the film's backstory in some way.

Whatever the rest of the film is about (i.e. what connects Clooney's inventory to Tomorrowland, whether Tomorrowland is meant to aid the "real" world or vice-versa, etc) will presumably have to wait until Tomorrowland bows in theaters on December 22nd.

Sources: Entertainment Weekly [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k59gXTWf-A]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Ronack said:
So, if she's taking a dump on the toilet and accidentally drops the pin, does she just randomly appear on Earth. Like *plops on to someone's lawn whilst taking a dump* "WHOOPS". And how does she change her clothes? Or when she does decide to go back to Earth, is it possible she just appears in the middle of the ocean? Or 50 meters in the air? I have questions!
It sounded like the pin creates an illusion, and Clooney was offering her the chance to go there in the flesh?

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
Ronack said:
...I have questions!
Worry not. Lindelof will answer all your questions at the end. And if you don't understand them, it's all your fault :)

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
nevarran said:
Ronack said:
...I have questions!
Worry not. Lindelof will answer all your questions at the end. And if you don't understand them, it's all your fault :)
Are you angry at that? Are you pissed off? Ready to hunt down everybody involved?
OMG HEY LOOK FROZEN AND SNOW WHITE TOGETHER! WHEEE!

debtcollector

Jan 31, 2012
The article says December 22. The trailer says "5.22.15". I'm sure the release date is just whatever we believe it is in our hearts.

Anyway, this looks pretty interesting, but it's also a YA movie based on an amusement park, so what do I know. I'll wait for the reviews.

Ronack said:
I have questions!
Ooh, I have one! When she holds the pin, is she just wandering around the police station with a dopey awestruck expression on her face staring into the middle distance? Is this going to end with her in an institution or run over by a truck?

HaileStorm

Apr 15, 2014
Is it just me, or is the front page broken for anyone else? I'm using Chrome by the way

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
On the one hand, Brad Bird.

On the other hand, Damon Lindelof.

Not sure if I should be squeeing like a fangirl, or rolling my eyes so hard a Scrambler could cover a football field.

nima55

Paladin of Traffic Law
Nov 14, 2010
Please, Please be a movie about the future for us optimists. I just hope this utopia is a real utopia and doesn't have a dark secret or anything

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
nima55 said:
Please, Please be a movie about the future for us optimists. I just hope this utopia is a real utopia and doesn't have a dark secret or anything
It's Disney. Even if it does it will be alright in the end. ,)

--

Seems like a movie worth waiting for. I like movies using science for the betterment of mankind. Too few of those around.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Sylocat said:
On the one hand, Brad Bird.

On the other hand, Damon Lindelof.

Not sure if I should be squeeing like a fangirl, or rolling my eyes so hard a Scrambler could cover a football field.
Pretty much how I'm feeling right now.

I'm a big Brad Bird fan. I adore his films. Grossly underrated director.

But even so, Lindelof penning a script about Disney park attraction....

Maybe it'll balance out and be decent?

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
...Okay, this actually looks like something I'd like to see. I'll have to keep an eye out for it now...

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
I think they may have to change the name, tomorrowland is the name of a HUGE dance festival in Europe (and was why I looked at the story in the first place)

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
If you really want to read into it, I guess it could be seen as disaffected youth getting into recreational drug use.

Though is this going to be a "young adult" targeted movie? Cuz that'll pretty much make it dead in the water like all the other movies going for that demographic.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Vendor-Lazarus said:
nima55 said:

--

Seems like a movie worth waiting for. I like movies using science for the betterment of mankind. Too few of those around.
It's an interesting concept that seems to take itself more seriously then, say, Meet the Robinsons, which just felt hollow and lifeless to me. I'd like to see a serious optimistic film get made with some passion, as opposed to one that just feels manufactured.

But for the love of God, if they factor Walt into this, I'll have nothing to do with it. The cult of Disney makes me physically ill. He laughed, and cried, and got angry, and pooped, and stubbed his toe like the rest of us. He wasn't a visionary moral teacher, or some great pacifist, or a messiah. He drew cartoons. If it turns out that Walt had some kind of secret plan to create a future utopia in the film, then I'm through. I'm sick of Disney stuffing their messianic view of Walt on us. I'd like to think he'd hate it too, assuming he had any moral conscience. Honestly, the company is stuck so far up its own ass sometimes, It's going to turn inside out.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Color me intrigued. Disney making movies out of individual rides (that didn't have them already, like Fantasyland and Toon Town) proved to be a winning strategy with Pirates, so now they're expanding into whole areas. With a female lead who believes science will save the world, that might get more women interested in careers in science and engineering, and I say the more the merrier. And Brad Bird's directing? Hot damn! He made one of the best Mission:Impossible movies and The Incredibles still holds up, so I can't see how this could possibly-[RECORD SCRATCH]
HEY WAIT A MINUTE! IS Damon Lindelof involved too?! Have we learned nothing from Prometheus?
Vendor-Lazarus said:
nima55 said:

--

I too want more movies showing scientist solving problems instead of being the cause of them. But, every story needs conflict, so I'm guessing (I could be wrong) there's something sinister going on right under everyone's noses in Tomorrowland, and there's a mystery there involving at least one of the girl's parents, explaining why she's coming in to solve it.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
rosac said:
I think they may have to change the name, tomorrowland is the name of a HUGE dance festival in Europe (and was why I looked at the story in the first place)
Yeah that music festival has been around since 2005. Disney's Tomorrowland predates it by 50 years. Why should they change what is named after one of Disney's biggest attractions?