Tons of Classic Windows 3.1 Games Just Added to Free Internet Archive

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Tons of Classic Windows 3.1 Games Just Added to Free Internet Archive

Play classic Windows games like Skifree, Merlin and Flight Commander for free in your browser.

The Internet Archive [http://blog.archive.org/2016/02/11/internet-archive-does-windows-hundreds-of-windows-3-1-programs-join-the-collection/] has the noble goal of preserving our digital history as old operating systems, games, and software become obsulete. This time, they have really outdone themselves, adding over a thousand Windows 3.1 apps to its archives, including hundreds of classic Windows games like Skifree, Merlin and Flight Commander.

This means you can use all of these apps and play all of these games for free right in your browser using the archive's emulation technology. Click here [https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_win3_showcase] to check out a showcase of some of the best titles available, including the ones pictured in the gallery bellow:

[gallery=5683]

"Windows 3.1 still holds a special place in computer history, and we're pleased to give you a bridge back to this lost trove of software," wrote the Internet Archive in a blog post.

Source: The Internet Archive [http://blog.archive.org/2016/02/11/internet-archive-does-windows-hundreds-of-windows-3-1-programs-join-the-collection/]

Obbi

May 7, 2008
No missile command/10

though this is pretty sweet! I remember ours came with a ton of freeware/shareware games, mostly demos of stuff like Commander Keen or other DOS platformers

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Obbi said:
No missile command/10
On the other hand with Skifree you will never do anything productive ever again, so it's kind of a moot point.

Somewhere out there is a mod that makes you the Yeti, I can feel it in my bones.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Twenty years isn't that long ago. Most of the people who made these games must still be around. What are they up to now?

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
I'm home...

Hope it has that Windows pack that included Skifree alongside that screensaver of the yacht race around the triangle course. That was the bomb.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Uh oh. Looks like Supergreatfriend's Saturday nights have just been booked for another decade or two.

Also typo "obsulete."

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
Obbi said:
No missile command/10
On the other hand with Skifree you will never do anything productive ever again, so it's kind of a moot point.

Somewhere out there is a mod that makes you the Yeti, I can feel it in my bones.
If you find it, share the love!

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Marvelous- another few years at this rate and they'll start putting up Windows 95 games. I can't wait to play Emperor of the Fading Suns again!

Get on it, Archive. (Or GOG. Or Steam. Or somebody. Please?)

Level 7 Dragon

Typo Kign
Mar 29, 2011
Hell yeah!

*clicks link*

"The following site was blocked by ROSCOMNADSOR"

Dammit. I actually wanted to play Politika and Missle Command. My country's censors are starting to get on my nerves.