Too Human Demo impressions.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
I played the demo for the second time a few minutes ago. I have to say that the more I play the demo, the less enthused I become about this game. Using the stick to control attacking works more or less but the combat itself is totally uninteresting! I felt like I was going to fall asleep while playing which is pretty sad for what is essentially an action game. The animations for Baldur are just plain stiff, there does not seem to be any kind of visual pay off to his attacks; it kind of feels like he just flails around rather than him being a skilled warrior or a badass. Baldur in the game world just seems wooden to me. The cutscenes were nice though, and everyone was voiced well which is a good sign for the cinematics at least. I'm still renting this game but the story needs to be at least as good as Mass Effect's if I am going to consider this a good game.

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
I'm with you there. The whole game feels kind of stiff and a little boring.
Battle is very repetetive, though I think it gets better once you have enough skills.

And overall I think the graphics aren't especially good either. I'll play it for the story.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
I was pretty disappointed. The combat is below average and the controls don't help it, even when you do get used to them.
Also, the game needs a lot more graphical polish, I was actually quite shocked how decidely average it looked when I was watching the opening cut-scene.
It just all looks a little shoddy, hopefully what we've seen in the demo is a very rough cut version but then why would they release the demo?

I do love the style of the game though, the Norse mythology mixed with sci-fi works quite well.

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
I heard it's finished. I think the game will be pretty much exactly what we've seen in the demo.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's how the end version will be, I'm just hoping because that's all I can do! :-D
It's always a shame to see a game that had so much potential only realise a small portion of it. I'll probably give it a rent though, I want to believe that this game will be good.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
Anyone else think that the enemy designs in the demo were pretty uninspired? I've seen some uninspired designs but this is one of the worst offenders the machines don't really look like anything at all, I was like "Uhhh guys I hope these are not the standard enemies cause they look boring."

Hey Joe

Dec 23, 2007
Meh, just meh.

I'm still not sold on the whole cybernetic Norse mythology thing yet.

Stomp224

Oct 17, 2007
I didn't even get to the end of the demo, I was drifting asleep. The combat was totally uninspiring, and the controls were vomit-inducingly bad (The pop-up tutorials gave button commands that didnt even work!).

Even the graphics weren't consistent. Some areas looked amazing,and some looked tripe. Shouldn't have ruffled Epics feathers methinks....

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
I dunno but it seems like this gen some real bona fide dev house gods are tripping and falling flat on their faces...Is it something in the water?

J'aen

Jul 6, 2008
shadow skill said:
I dunno but it seems like this gen some real bonified dev house gods are tripping and falling flat on their faces...Is it something in the water?
It's "Bona Fide", no "Bonified". Unless you mean the devs got turned into skeletons.

Xhumed

Jun 15, 2008
J'aen said:
shadow skill said:
I dunno but it seems like this gen some real bonified dev house gods are tripping and falling flat on their faces...Is it something in the water?
It's "Bona Fide", no "Bonified". Unless you mean the devs got turned into skeletons.
Or are really really pretty...

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
J'aen said:
shadow skill said:
Thanks for pointing that out I need to remember to use spell check more. :)

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Add another "meh" to the pile. After I played the demo I had a friend of mine come over just to make sure my radar was working: it was. What a disappointment, terrible voice acting, HORRIBLE combat, annoying camera (I don't care which you pick they're all bad). Glitchy overall.

I'd like to highlight the worst sin of all: the controls. It's not even the lack of camera controls, it's how detached it all feels. Not even just that, they LOVE taking controls away from you and giving them back whenever they feel like it. Like in cyberspace, it looks the exact same as the game world but you can't do freaking anything!

Anyways I'll wrap this up. This game caused two pretty hefty sighs in my household. Two solid "Do Not Wants".

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Well you're all wrong.. I enjoyed it enough to know that it's going to get bought, and am already planning to play it co-op with my mate.

Madaxeman101

Jul 8, 2008
i enjoyed the game play but there doesn't seem to be anywhere enough skills to make u want to keep levelling up. In games like champions return to arms and baldurs gate there was tons of skills and spells to unlock as you level up thats what too human needs.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
Fuck co op give me a combat system that doesn't put me to sleep in an action game. I swear this has never happened to me before in this genre of game. I was getting sleepy playing it. Fuck co-op give me environments that are not dead please. Give me character animations that at least look cool.. T_T Onward to Fable 2. For the record do you need a gold membership to do co-op?

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
Juan Regular said:
shadow skill said:
For the record do you need a gold membership to do co-op?
Jep, you do.
I miss splitscreen co-op...
Sigh well that so much for that, no way I am paying money for that. Need to setup a reminder to cancel my gold membership soon as it serves no purpose. It's really messed up too. I'm a Sony guy but I figured 360 would be shooter king and I'm not comfortable on a keyboard and mouse. (Though PC is better for shooters.) So instead of upgrading or building a new rig I got a 360 and it turns out I ended up getting all my shooters for PS3 once I found out that live uses player hosting for most of the games.

Leon P

Jul 10, 2008
I found the whole Norse mythology thing awfully crammed in like "For ODIN" randomly blurted out.
and for some reason everyone has distinct American accents. the character design was also highly forgettable, and after playing Ninja Gaiden the sword combat feels not only hollow but laughably unpolished. I really wanted this game to be a hit but for all intensive purposes it quite badly sucks. Who knows really, a demo isn't really a good way to judge a 40+ hour game, Maybe the co-op will save it!

BTW I had a find pound bet with my mate this game would 'rock'
but it seems like I'm gonna be down a fiver on august the 29th