Too Human Demo impressions.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
I don't know... I'm still undecided about the game; I think the demo didn't really show you all the game has to offer, which is always a problem when demos start at the beginning. I mean, there's meant to be other stuff you can do (like spider abilities), but this doesn't really get shown off in a demo. In short, I don't think any game focused on story or even vaguely RPGish should have a demo, as they really don't show it off very well.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
Leon P said:
I found the whole Norse mythology thing awfully crammed in like "For ODIN" randomly blurted out.
and for some reason everyone has distinct American accents. the character design was also highly forgettable, and after playing Ninja Gaiden the sword combat feels not only hollow but laughably unpolished. I really wanted this game to be a hit but for all intensive purposes it quite badly sucks. Who knows really, a demo isn't really a good way to judge a 40+ hour game, Maybe the co-op will save it!

BTW I had a find pound bet with my mate this game would 'rock'
but it seems like I'm gonna be down a fiver on august the 29th
Ninja Gaiden makes the sword combat of top tier hack and slash games look dull. But it's dull even if you haven't been exposed to that gem. I read a preview that said you could get through the game in ten hours, the previewer also felt like the game didn't finish when it needed to in the sense that it reaches the end in terms of the story abruptly. This concerns me more than total number of hours, though I dare not imagine 40 hours of that lame fighting engine.

mwhite67

Mar 19, 2008
I have to admit I was pretty disappointed by the graphics and the controls, and before the demo I was going to buy this game now I'm not sure. I also think it was a huge fail on their part to only have 2 player coop. With 4 it might have been like a better version of phantasy star online, but with 2 it sounds lame. Whats the point of being a healer type character if you always just heal the 1 other dude in your party, that doesn't sound fun to me.

Oh well I guess I'll wait and see how this one gets reviewed I'm guessing around 7.3

77boy84

Jul 16, 2008
Wow, I'm the exact opposite. I thought the demo was incredibly fun, and I thought the combat was perfect. Did you guys even try to learn the combat works? I don't want to sound pretentious, but the fighting system is a bit in depth than Kingdom Hearts, and other action games.

J'aen

Jul 6, 2008
Now for my actual opinions of the demo: I found it disappointing. The concept of cyberpunk Norse mythology is awesome, and Silicon Knights could have done great things with it.

I thought the graphics were fine, and the locations were excellently designed. No problems there.

The gameplay, on the other hand...

The combat stopped working whenever the enemies ganged up on me, and there were always hordes of the bastards outside of minibosses. I got about 5 new bits of equipment per fight, and I couldn't or didn't want to use the vast majority of them. The shooting was , in a word, lousy. The unskippable Valkyrie cutscenes made me RAGE.

The NPCs were boring - we have the grizzled sergeant, the scared new recruit, the bastard son of Worf and Minsc...

Leon P

Jul 10, 2008
shadow skill said:
Leon P said:
I found the whole Norse mythology thing awfully crammed in like "For ODIN" randomly blurted out.
and for some reason everyone has distinct American accents. the character design was also highly forgettable, and after playing Ninja Gaiden the sword combat feels not only hollow but laughably unpolished. I really wanted this game to be a hit but for all intensive purposes it quite badly sucks. Who knows really, a demo isn't really a good way to judge a 40+ hour game, Maybe the co-op will save it!

Shadow Skill I agree with you completely

but did you ever play anarchy online?

I knew a guy called Shadow skill who I used to quest with on anarchy online back in the day
thats all

revolverwolf

Jul 1, 2008
I started the demo thinking it was at least worth a try...but then I regretted it. The combat was boring and the camara was annoying...and when I saw the HUGE cinematic it plays when you die I just couldn't be bothered with it anymore. The co-op is going to have to make my head explode for this to be a good game! Oh, I almost forgot that I hated the AI aswell. Most of the time my teammates where off somewhere else fighting 1 enemy whilst I got mobbed by the rest of them...but it didn't matter because the enemies could be beaten by holding a stick in their direction! RANTING POWERS!

Leon P

Jul 10, 2008
I'm disappointed in this game I think it ill be worth a purchase still tho
I want to see how it pans out with a friend and some dungeon crawling.
I think it was an awful idea to release a demo of a massive RPG tho.
If you played the first 10 mins of mass effect people would probably wrote that off aswell
as the combat in that was dull to begin with (due to limited skill sets)

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
Leon P said:
If you played the first 10 mins of mass effect people would probably wrote that off aswell
Mass Effect didn't make me want to sleep though I do kind of agree. My brother made the comment that the game isn't wood, it's wood infested with termites! I guess the termites are eating their way through the Yggdrasil......

77boy84

Jul 16, 2008
shadow skill said:
Leon P said:
Mass Effect didn't make me want to sleep though I do kind of agree. My brother made the comment that the game isn't wood, it's wood infested with termites! I guess the termites are eating their way through the Yggdrasil......
I gotta ask, how were you playing it when the fights happened?

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
J'aen said:
Now for my actual opinions of the demo: I found it disappointing. The concept of cyberpunk Norse mythology is awesome, and Silicon Knights could have done great things with it.

I thought the graphics were fine, and the locations were excellently designed. No problems there.

The gameplay, on the other hand...

The combat stopped working whenever the enemies ganged up on me, and there were always hordes of the bastards outside of minibosses. I got about 5 new bits of equipment per fight, and I couldn't or didn't want to use the vast majority of them. The shooting was , in a word, lousy. The unskippable Valkyrie cutscenes made me RAGE.

The NPCs were boring - we have the grizzled sergeant, the scared new recruit, the bastard son of Worf and Minsc...
Didn't you know? The unskippable Valkyrie parts are punishment for dying.

Nov 28, 2007
This wasn't the first ten minutes of Too Human. You could tell it was just a montage thing, taking bits from three different sections. I'm not getting the game. There is such a thing as "too streamlined combat", and it is this game. When I can defeat every mob with a hand behind my back, I am not very entertained.

TheKbob

Jul 15, 2008
I went in expecting bile and disgust, so I came out better, but not in a position to play it. The loot whore in me is really wanting the game, because I would like to see how armor sets and swords progress and yes, the combat seems a little stiff but takes a while to get used to.

I liked the art, I liked the story concept, I liked the setting... I sound more and more like someone who is going to buy it, but I have Titan Quest, NOX, Fallout 1 & 2, Spellforce 2, Gothic 2, The Witcher.... plenty of RPGs to beat and get lots of cool loot.

Too Human will get a rental from me, at the very least.

Leon P

Jul 10, 2008
its a shame tho because this seemed like Microsoft's next big title along the lines of Gears of War and Halo it looks as tho it has the potential to still be but lets just hope the demo is of an earlier build

shadowyoasis

Feb 8, 2008
The combat system takes abit to get used to, but it can either be an epic or an epic failure depending on how you managed to do it.

Enemies in the demo are abit too soft but theres certain spots where you can really just do some crazy things, but you can get by just by holding the stick at an enemy >.>

You can either slide into something and wail on it(boring)

or

You can slide into something, toss it into the air, melee air combo, air-slide down to another eney, juggle it, and keep it aloft with a hail of bullets.

I managed to do that once, was epic, and nothing short of pure luck.

I prefer button mashing to stick waggling >.>

pieeater911

Jun 27, 2008
The demo felt extremely.....boring.

This disappoints me, for I had high hopes for this game. The whole Techno-Norse mythology theme seems rather interesting, but honestly, I was bored stupid by the extremely repetitive combat. And the damn camera was so frustrating! I felt like the camera in Ninja Gaiden was more responsive and useful than the one in Too Human.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
pieeater911 said:
The demo felt extremely.....boring.

This disappoints me, for I had high hopes for this game. The whole Techno-Norse mythology theme seems rather interesting, but honestly, I was bored stupid by the extremely repetitive combat. And the damn camera was so frustrating! I felt like the camera in Ninja Gaiden was more responsive and useful than the one in Too Human.
You felt that Ninja Gaiden's camera was more useful than Too Human's because it was/is. You are not imagining it.

J'aen

Jul 6, 2008
If the Valkyrie scenes are the punishment for dying, someone needs to remind Silicon Knights that dying is punishment enough.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Anyone expect a "Timeshift" with this game? It's already been going through major changes - if people are disappointed with the demo then I won't be surprised if this is put on hold or something.