Too Human Demo impressions.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Anyone expect a "Timeshift" with this game? It's already been going through major changes - if people are disappointed with the demo then I won't be surprised if this is put on hold or something.
I'm praying that it'll do a "Timeshift" as long as they don't just turn crap into different crap, like they did with Timeshift. I really, really want this game to be good but that demo was awful.
It wouldn't even take that much to fix, maybe just 6 months of polishing, just get the combat down and the I can forgive the graphics and poor enemy design.

wgreer25

Good news everyone!
Jun 9, 2008
My largest issue is with the combat system. I give them prise for trying to think outside the box and not have button mashing, but stick wagging just isn't cutting it. The game feels like a mix between Diablo and Mass Effect. Except both of those games had better combat systems, and Diablo was a fraking point and click.

I really like the idea of a Diable/Mass Effect type game that is Co-op, but the combat system needs work. I think everything else about the game is pretty good though.

Blazingdragoon

Feb 21, 2008
This game was a great disappointment I hate the stupid sword controls. LOl and whats with the angel coming from the sky everytime you die. The whole story is confused. Oh and the camera was so so soooo poor.

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
Yeah

I mean, the story sound interesting

But using the analog stick for combat just doesn't work

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
Blazingdragoon said:
This game was a great disappointment I hate the stupid sword controls. LOl and whats with the angel coming from the sky everytime you die. The whole story is confused. Oh and the camera was so so soooo poor.
They're called Valkries (sp). They take fallen soldiers from the battle field to Odin in preparation for Ragnarok.

It makes sense, since the game's story is based around in Norse mythology.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
I downloaded it last night, and enjoyed it quite a bit. The combat system was, for the most part, exactly what I expected. It's Diablo II with a joystick instead of a mouse. Some more 'powers' would have made it more interesting, but I would suspect other classes would get those earlier. Otherwise, as a hack-and-slash RPG, it was perfectly satisfying.

I definitely preferred the joystick holding combat to Marvel Ultimate Alliance's button mashing (which is the closest console parallel I can think of). Without having to jam on the buttons all the time, and with the auto-targeting, I was able to pay more attention to the action instead of the controls. Watching Baldur mow down hordes of weenie robot dogs with a greatsword was pretty satisfying.

Only two-player co-op is a bit surprising though - I had assumed it would be four. I'll also be concerned if it really is only 8-10 hours long.

Nov 15, 2007
I was not impressed. Using the stick to attack was boring. I like a little frantic button mashing in my action games. I tried it out hoping for an amusing hack and slash that I could play with a friend, but it didn't do anything for me.

BioBeast

Dec 30, 2007
I didn't mind the combat system (even though it was a little clunky at first). The graphics were great, except for a few odd parts that just looked blurry or choppy at times. The MASSIVE unskippable cutscenes annoyed me, as did the camera angle.

In total, I think that this is one of those "meh" games, not really worth a purchase or even a rent. Onward to Fallout 3 and Fable 2!

Camarilla

Jul 17, 2008
It seems the demo had quite the opposite effect on me when compared to most people, as I was going to be giving the game a miss before I played the demo, and now I will almost certainly be buying it.

I have always been interested in Norse mythology, and I like sci-fi, so the aesthetic of the game has always appealed to me, and it didn't disappoint in that regard, with the design of the Aesir and the Valkyries standing out especially, but I've never really been a fan of the hack-n-slash RPG, so the fact that I enjoyed this as much as I did was quite a shock to me.

I will admit, the game isn't perfect, but many of the things other people were put off by, such as stiff or sloppy animation, I actually forgave because I was actually, well, having fun. The controls took me a little getting used to, but once I got the hang of them, I found the combat perfectly enjoyable, especially when I got my hands on a quite insanely powerful warhammer and a pair of enchanted pistols. Then again, I suppose the fact that I played the demo almost entirely with pistols does mean that my experience with the game's combat was different to what others were describing.

77boy84

Jul 16, 2008
The people that have problems with the controls really haven't given it the shot it deserves.
If you play an FPS and only use the W key and the left mouse button, it's gonna play badly. The people that say the combat is boring are usually just holding the right analog stick in one direction, and haven't actually tried the combat system to the fullest. As someone said earlier in this thread, it's either extremely epic, or fails spectacularly with different people. And the people that think it failed didn't actually try it.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Anyone expect a "Timeshift" with this game? It's already been going through major changes - if people are disappointed with the demo then I won't be surprised if this is put on hold or something.
When you first said that, I thought you were referring to the fact that Timeshift, a game I looked forward to, bombed terribly. The same thing's happening with Too Human, but I have yet to play the demo. I'll see if I can download it and give it a shot alter today.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
77boy84 said:
The people that have problems with the controls really haven't given it the shot it deserves.
If you play an FPS and only use the W key and the left mouse button, it's gonna play badly. The people that say the combat is boring are usually just holding the right analog stick in one direction, and haven't actually tried the combat system to the fullest. As someone said earlier in this thread, it's either extremely epic, or fails spectacularly with different people. And the people that think it failed didn't actually try it.
Riiight, what ever you say.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Madaxeman101 said:
i enjoyed the game play but there doesn't seem to be anywhere enough skills to make u want to keep levelling up. In games like champions return to arms and baldurs gate there was tons of skills and spells to unlock as you level up thats what too human needs.
I agree, all there is are battle cries and spiders?(feels tacked on) The Ruins are just basically kill anything within area and that is in all action games. This could be over looked if the combat was any good but it was pretty basic, slash here, slash there, and pop them with shots every once in once in awhile.

The RPG aspects should have little more impact besides stats and items. The skills and the combat were pretty average and combine to make for a pretty unexciting game.

But besides all this I'm still going to buy the game. I just like slaughtering everything in sight. And the cinematic music during the fights was a lot of fun. I also like the Diablo style item collection. The game does look like shit by the way, that much is sure. I over look that, because they came up with their made their own unique world and that's admirable. I liked Norse mythology and sci-fi so the combination I loved.

77boy84

Jul 16, 2008
shadow skill said:
77boy84 said:
Riiight, what ever you say.
I'm not sure how I should respond to your post.
How do you think I should respond?

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Hey not sure if this has been stated before but if you set your system's clock to '09 you can select any of the 5 classes.

Don't ask me why...it just does... I haven't tried it yet but it seems to be working for everyone else.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Hey not sure if this has been stated before but if you set your system's clock to '09 you can select any of the 5 classes.

Don't ask me why...it just does... I haven't tried it yet but it seems to be working for everyone else.
Interesting glitch... wait, you couldn't select what class you wanted to play as in the demo?

BBLIZZARD

Jun 19, 2008
The controls sucked and gameplay was boring, what else do you expect from a game that takes 8+ years to make?

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Yeah I don't know Stompy, I have seen some demos only give 1 or 2 choices in class for RPGs - not sure how people even figured that glitch out...

BBLIZZARD said:
what else do you expect from a game that takes 8+ years to make?
Oh I dunno....the exact opposite?!

Games that are rushed are usually the shitty ones, games where developers took their time to work on the game usually turn out to be great and have minor issues.

Now even though it took forever to make, I haven't played many good games from Silicon Knights so I pretty much expected this to be made of fail and suck.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Yeah I don't know Stompy, I have seen some demos only give 1 or 2 choices in class for RPGs - not sure how people even figured that glitch out...

BBLIZZARD said:
what else do you expect from a game that takes 8+ years to make?
Oh I dunno....the exact opposite?!

Games that are rushed are usually the shitty ones, games where developers took their time to work on the game usually turn out to be great and have minor issues.

Now even though it took forever to make, I haven't played many good games from Silicon Knights so I pretty much expected this to be made of fail and suck.
It's not so much that they took their time it was that the game has been plagued with problems from the very beginning. It's switched platforms at least twice, and then the developers lost their minds and tried to use the right stick to control the combat and actually made it worse than the god awful total control (More like total lack of control.) in some more modern sports games.