Too Human Demo impressions.

wewontdie11

May 28, 2008
It seems like a lot of ups and downs to me.

First off I like the upgrade and gear system, its simple and effective and lets you get some pretty cool stuff. The story looks like it could be very interesting seen as how it is supposed to be a trilogy as well. The potential online co-op also looks like that could be quite fun, then again I'm always very much in favour of online co-op.

The melee combat was terrible, I hate using the right stick to swing the weapon. It doesn't allow for very easy combo building and quickly becomes repetitive as the moves are quite limited. Also trying to move the camera while in combat, I found to be very confusing and often found myself with my back to a lot of the enemies unable to see them.

I think I might rent this if the combat turns out to be not so bad because it looks to me like the story has real potential.

Nov 28, 2007
77boy84 said:
The people that have problems with the controls really haven't given it the shot it deserves.
If you play an FPS and only use the W key and the left mouse button, it's gonna play badly. The people that say the combat is boring are usually just holding the right analog stick in one direction, and haven't actually tried the combat system to the fullest. As someone said earlier in this thread, it's either extremely epic, or fails spectacularly with different people. And the people that think it failed didn't actually try it.
My problem isn't that you can't do those moves, it's that there is no reason to, because every mob literally can be defeated with your left hand behind your back and your right hand flicking the right stick. I tested it. It works.

shadowyoasis

Feb 8, 2008
shadow skill said:
77boy84 said:
The people that have problems with the controls really haven't given it the shot it deserves.
If you play an FPS and only use the W key and the left mouse button, it's gonna play badly. The people that say the combat is boring are usually just holding the right analog stick in one direction, and haven't actually tried the combat system to the fullest. As someone said earlier in this thread, it's either extremely epic, or fails spectacularly with different people. And the people that think it failed didn't actually try it.
Riiight, what ever you say.
Actually I agree with him, although I was the one who said the combat comment.

In all honesty I think alot of people didn't really try to get use to the combat system, its hard, its complicated, but once you get it done their such easy kills that you should have never died ever.

Yet people are complaining about the unskippable valkyrie scene... I went from an entire lenght of a hallway to the other without taking a point of damage and that was mowing through a good 20+ mobs to get to the big guy at the end.

Took at lot of sliding combos and juggling, but damn that combo got so high I was doing 700+ damage towards the end of it >.> no ruiner was used.

didn't even realize how much damage I was doing till I looked at the dps and went.... wha?

I was one shotting em long before that though so it doesn't really matter.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
You know, I really really liked it. I think the analog combat is a lot more controllable and fluid than button mashing. I also liked the sliding, it helped the combat move along faster. You don't have to spend a few seconds running between clusters of enemies... You just slide over and smack them to kingdom come.

If you don't like the combat, just give it a go as the berserker class. I guarantee that it will be more fun. Disconnect the cord or wireless adapter or whatever you use to get Xbox Live, then change the date to anything past August 19, 2008 (the release date), and you can play as the Berserker and Commando in addition to the Champion. The other two are actually playable via some button combos or something, but I don't know how to do it.

Greatsword of Flames FTW!

shadowyoasis

Feb 8, 2008
disconnect from live and then go change your clock settings you get commando and berserker unlocked.

don't think this was a bug as much as a future release built in.

You can get bioengineer and guardian via bug.

If you don't like the using the right stick for melee play as a commando don't have to worry about the melee combat and they do a ton of damage >.> rifles ftw, seriously try it.

edited to clarify a point

I'm still trying to figure out how I keep launching energy balls/waves/projectiles from my weapons.

each type of weapon seems to unleash a different energy projectile.

Smashing your sword into the ground and sending out a blue energy wave is my favorite so far though <3

77boy84

Jul 16, 2008
shadowyoasis said:
disconnect from live and then go change your clock settings you get commando and berserker unlocked.

If you don't like the using the right stick for melee play as a commando don't have to worry about the melee combat and they do a ton of damage >.> rifles ftw, seriously try it.

I'm still trying to figure out how I keep launching energy balls/waves/projectiles from my weapons.

Smashing your sword into the ground and sending out a blue energy wave is my favorite so far though <3
If you have an enemy targeted that's far away, and you push both analog sticks in the same direction at the same time, it sends out the projectile, knocking anything down that it hits.

If you're close to an enemy, and press both sticks forward, it does a finisher kind of thing.

Isaac Dodgson

The Mad Hatter
May 11, 2008
Meh, as Hey Joe has stated, pretty much sums it up. For me, cybernetic and tech covered Norse mythology sounds great on paper and rocks, but this just annoyed me more than anything. The Menu was ridiculously unresponsive at times, and what's the use of making a button a shortcut to your inventory only to exit out to the main menu?? The camera was unintuitive and many times I got pelted with rockets or something else from enemies off screen from different directions. There only seemed to be two attacks, either shoot them, or toss them up in the air and shoot them, and pulling them off might of been easier with a Wiimote rather than analog sticks, and over all the dank, and dark temple was uninspiring

...ok come to think of it, Meh might be too kind

shadowyoasis

Feb 8, 2008
77boy84 said:
shadowyoasis said:

If you have an enemy targeted that's far away, and you push both analog sticks in the same direction at the same time, it sends out the projectile, knocking anything down that it hits.

If you're close to an enemy, and press both sticks forward, it does a finisher kind of thing.
yeah I kinda figured it out afterwards.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
I didn't mind the unskippable dying cutscene too much, seeing as I didn't die until I wanted to find see what you were complaining about. I consider it more as a countdown for when you're playing online, to make your partner panic a little as he faces 2 players worth of enemies by himself. The fact that death has no real consequence other than the wait irks me a little, but if you had to start the whole area again, that'd be even worse.
The lack of a controllable camera was worst to me. A better option would have been to have the right stick control the camera unless you held X, when it'd do what it normally does now. Then tapping X could do that Battlecry thing. I think that'd work better than how it is now.

77boy84

Jul 16, 2008
Meado said:
I didn't mind the unskippable dying cutscene too much, seeing as I didn't die until I wanted to find see what you were complaining about. I consider it more as a countdown for when you're playing online, to make your partner panic a little as he faces 2 players worth of enemies by himself. The fact that death has no real consequence other than the wait irks me a little, but if you had to start the whole area again, that'd be even worse.
The lack of a controllable camera was worst to me. A better option would have been to have the right stick control the camera unless you held X, when it'd do what it normally does now. Then tapping X could do that Battlecry thing. I think that'd work better than how it is now.
Your way would be ten times worse. Grab a controller, and try playing it while holding down X. Not to mention it would ruin the commando class.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
77boy84 said:
Meado said:
Your way would be ten times worse. Grab a controller, and try playing it while holding down X. Not to mention it would ruin the commando class.
I just re-read what I typed. I meant hold down the X button and move the LEFT stick towards enemies, while the right stick would always be the camera.
And could you be more clear on how it would ruin the commando class?

shadowyoasis

Feb 8, 2008
Stubee said:
I thought it was amazing. Visuals,sound,gameplay AND controls! Really dont understand peoples problems with the controls, maybe they are retarded.
its cause the controlls are hard to get used to. They wanted to make it unique and they did so its hard to go against the grind or atleast learn how too.

Once you've run through the demo a few times you start to do some crazy stuff you didn't really thing was possible

Highest combo to date 198 hit combo... everything died before I could keep going. Did it on an engineer. Woulda made for one hell of a high finisher damage though.

clearing time trials on a defender is teh win.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
shadowyoasis post=9.66080.572408 said:
Stubee said:
I thought it was amazing. Visuals,sound,gameplay AND controls! Really dont understand peoples problems with the controls, maybe they are retarded.
its cause the controlls are hard to get used to. They wanted to make it unique and they did so its hard to go against the grind or atleast learn how too.

Once you've run through the demo a few times you start to do some crazy stuff you didn't really thing was possible

Highest combo to date 198 hit combo... everything died before I could keep going. Did it on an engineer. Woulda made for one hell of a high finisher damage though.

clearing time trials on a defender is teh win.
The controls are not really hard to get used to it's just boring to use. I've seen this kind of control scheme before in Jet Li:Rise to honor and it more or less worked and it was more fun than this game was. The only real problem with that game was the fact that you couldn't switch the sticks around so if you were not the most accurate with your right hand it was a bit on the difficult side to control. I have to wonder about anyone who says the visuals were amazing and asks if other people are retarded. It's like me claiming Ninja Gaiden 2 has stunning visuals it just doesn't.